1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why can't radar cruise control detect stationary vehicles?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ozboy, Nov 30, 2009.

1. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Except in the last couple of metres?

2. ceric

ceric New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If I am not mistaken, radar-based system can only detect metal objects.

3. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A stationary car is a fairly decent sized metal object!!!!!!!

4. kllerdropbear

kllerdropbear New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would think it would base the distance calculations based on a reference point (vehicle moving in fron of you). Sudden changes in that reference point would indicate a vehicle braking suddenly.
    A stationary car wouldnt ever create that "moving" reference point.
    If it did, you the emergency breaking would activate every time you drove past a tree or like.
    ( my uneducated opinion anyways)

5. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It might slow you down when passing parked cars on the side of the road if it did.
    It is designed on the premise that there will be a driver at the controls.

6. sandsw

sandsw Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V

I used to play with radar modules back in the mid-70s, so I am definitely making this up as I go along and am quite happy to be shot down in flames. I am too lazy to work out the maths, please forgive.

As noted above, the cars' radar system doesn't really want to detect stationery objects. You don't want the car to drop into panic mode everytime it passes a rubbish-bin, sees an oncoming vehicle in a different lane or pylons associated with overhead bridges.

As you may know, a radar module transmits a radio-beam. When this beam strikes an object, it is reflected back to the module. The frequency of the returned beam is changed. This is known as the doppler effect. The amount of frequency change is a function of the differences in speed between the transmitter and the object reflecting the beam.

The amplitude of the returned signal depends on a whole slew of variables (including the material of the object reflecting the signal) but is definitely an inverse function of the distance between the objects. Double the distance and the amplitude will drop by a factor of 4. Triple the distance and it drops by a factor of 9.

The modules I worked with combined the transmitted frequency and the returned signal, and what was actually output was the difference between the Tx and Rx frequencies. Say the radar sends out a 10,700,000,000 Hz signal and the returned signal is 10,700,006,000 Hz. The difference is 6KHz and this would be the output from the module. This was done in those days because working at extremely high frequencies ( :) ) in the GHz range was tricky.

Multiple reflections (due to multiple objects all having different relative speeds) result in a whole symphony of output signals.

Deciphering this cacophony way back when would have been fairly difficult. Nowadays, thanks to magic of silicon, it seems a whole lot simpler. ( I dips me lid to the programmers. )

I am guessing that the prius builds a 'map' of surrounding objects (much like those green screens seen in old-time Navy movies). Possibly 5, 10 or more new maps are created every second. Subsequent maps are compared to earlier ones and the stationery objects identified. This is 'relatively' simple to do as the vehicle speed is known.

Removing the clutter produced by stationery objects reduces the number of objects left for further processing.

As the the prius gets closer to the stationery object, the amplitude of the returned signal increases. Once a certain threshold has been exceeded, the 'stationery' object is brought back into the computation set.

While I have been speaking in terms of absolute values, it is more likely that the computations and alert thresholds are based on the rate of change of the readings.

Thus a car travelling in front of you at a constant speed, will produce a rate of change of zero.

A stationery object will appear in the new map, in the 'same place' as the original map once vehicle speed and the time between readings has been factored in. Once again a rate of change of zero.

A vehicle in front of you that is slowing, will be in a slightly different place on the map than expected. The rate of change in this case is non-zero and the signal amplitude would be increasing because the vehicle is getting closer to you.

An oncoming vehicle in your lane (ie head-on crash impending) would have a dramatically increasing rate of change of the returned frequency and the amplitude of the returned signal would also be increasing even more dramatically.

I have ignored changes of phase in the returned signal but I am guessing that this is how the prius determines that the reflection is coming from a vehicle in a different lane.

While probably wrong in pretty much every respect, this is how I visualise the system working.

Cheers
    Warwick

1 person likes this.
  7. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Boiling down all that was said above and in previous posts, the short answer is that the radar system deliberately ignores stationary objects, such as trees, signs, and bins. This means it will also ignore stationary cars.

Tom

8. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the people who have commented above musn't have RCC.

The system can differentiate between lanes & stationary objects such as rubbish bins, parked cars, etc that are NOT IN YOUR LANE/DRIVING LINE. Its alot smarter system than people realise.

If it couldn't recognise your driving line, then it would always slow down or brake when a car in adjacent lane was driving slower.

FYI - the car does flash a signal to brake in the last few metres as you approach a stationary vehicle.

Anyone who has RCC have thoughts on my question?

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure. Mine has always stopped smoothly when I approached a red traffic light and the car ahead is already stopped. Of course I have my range to the max (3 bars) to maximise the margin of error.

Heck, I've deliberately pulled the Prius closely behind another vehicle (with the foot over the brake pedal of course just in case) on an empty road and have seen the DRCC brake accordingly. (Hope I didn't freak the other driver out).

It definitely works and I do not recommend that anyone else tries this as you can be a traffic hazard especially with more traffic.

And yes it can distinguish between car and other objects. I've never seen it brake when I take an offramp with concrete barriers and white/red reflectors on them.

10. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have done exactly the same thing & it doesn't. It will only slow if the car in front has slowed to a stop. Not an already stopped car.

I am trying to figure out if this is a fault with the unit.
    What does your manual say?

11. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This mode employs a radar sensor to detect the presence of vehicles
    up to approximately 400 ft. (120 m) ahead and to judge the distance
    between your vehicle and the vehicle ahead you.

Note that vehicle-to-vehicle distance will close in when traveling on long
    downhill slopes.

Example of deceleration cruising
    When the vehicle ahead is driving slower than the set speed

When a vehicle is detected running ahead of you, in the same lane, the
    system automatically decelerates your vehicle. When a greater reduction
    in vehicle speed is necessary, the system applies the brakes. A warning
    tone warns you when the system cannot decelerate sufficiently to prevent
    your vehicle from closing in on the vehicle ahead.

Example of follow-up cruising
    When following a vehicle driving slower than the set speed

The system continues follow-up cruising while adjusting for changes in the speed of the vehicle ahead in order to maintain the vehicle-to-vehicle distance set by the driver.

When your vehicle is too close to a vehicle ahead, and sufficient
    automatic deceleration via the cruise control is not possible, the display will flash and a buzzer will sound to alert the driver. An example of this would be if another driver cuts in front of you while you are following a vehicle. Apply the brakes to ensure an appropriate vehicle-to-vehicle distance.

Automatic canceling vehicle-to-vehicle distance control
    Vehicle-to-vehicle distance control driving is automatically canceled in the following situations.

• Actual vehicle speed falls below approximately 25 mph (40 km/h)
    • Enhanced VSC is activated
    • The windshield wipers are operating at high speed
    • The sensor cannot operate correctly because it is covered in some way
    If vehicle-to-vehicle distance control driving is automatically canceled for any
    other reason, there may be a malfunction in the system. Contact your Toyota
    dealer.

Approach warning
    In the following instances, there is a possibility that the approach warning will
    not illuminate even when vehicle-to-vehicle distance is closing:

• When the speed of the vehicle ahead matches or exceeds your vehicle’s speed
    • When the vehicle ahead is traveling at an extremely slow speed
    • Immediately after the cruise control speed has been set
    • At the instant the accelerator is applied

12. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ozboy,

I decided to try your theory out today. I set the cruise at 63km/h (60 zone) and approached a red light with a vehicle that is already stationary. The CC was set to the maximum distance of 3 bars.

The car did not detect the vehicle and I had to brake fairly hard (ABS kicked in when I hit a small bump of solid, dirt-covered ice on the left side of the lane).

So yeah I kinda repeated what you were complaining about except that I wasn't about to test the "few metres" theory and braked with 2 car lengths left.

here's the excerpt from the owner's manual:

Approach warning

In the following instances, there is a possibility that the approach warning will
    not illuminate even when vehicle-to-vehicle distance is closing:

When the vehicle ahead is traveling at an extremely slow speed

13. AussieDave

AussieDave New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely see mine reacting to cars stopped at lights ahead of me when in cruise control. Have not had the courage to take it beyond the rapid slowing that precedes beeping and then full on braking.

Certainly have seen it able to igore cars in adjoining lanes until the road starts to curve a lot and momentarily I see the car in the adjoining lane being picked up.

One situation that gets a bit scary is when a car cuts in front of you and is travelling faster than you. The car then starts to speed up as it sees the distance as increasing so tries to speed up to the set speed. Sometimes you get the acceleration and then sharper braking as the car in front then has to brake,or when the car in front continues on into the next lane and the car suddenly re aquires the original car in my lane.

David

14. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I use mine a lot and over the last 10K miles I have only had it slow for a vehicle in the adjacent lane one time. In that instance it was a very large truck with a shinny aluminum trailer and I think there was a little curve to the road. Overall the DRCC system seems to work great.

I have resisted the impulse to test mine on a stationary object such as a parked car or a metal building. I have this terrible vision of me trying to untangle myself from the airbag while saying "Honest officer, I haven't had a thing to drink I was just testing my cruise control." :D

15. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you' all thought about testing against a cardboard 'target'? To replicate reflectivity, a layer of paper towels soaked in salt water, possibly in plastic baggies, should work 'good enough.' In mythbusters, they'd use a butchered hog but that can be a little expensive and messy ... Ok, maybe brisket but do report how well the Prius tenderizer works. <grins>

In particular, I would be interested in how it works on the following silhouettes:

• cat sized
    • dog sized
    • child sized
    • adult sized
    • deer sized
    • moose sized
    Given how easily it can be misinterpreted, I would recommend testing in obscure parking lots. It is science but you never know who might want to report a cardboard 'hit and run.'

Bob Wilson

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well.. I can tell you it does the inverted warning on the radar cruise, then it goes to BRAKE! (flashing as well) and when you press the brake at that time, Brake Assist kicks in and gives you full ABS braking.

I've actually had no problems with ppl cutting in and are travelling at a faster speed. The car doesn't brake in response. IT knows it's travelling at a faster speed.

17. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. For people who haven't got the system, it is alot smarter than you think.

18. ozboy

ozboy New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for confirming. In the Australian manual it states 'when the vehicle ahead is already stationary' (or words to that effect)
    Am interested to know why though, considering that forumite's experience where the Pre-Crash System applied because they were approaching a steel bridge girder (which is a stationary object).

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Probably to make sure it doesn't brake when the road curves and there's a metal barrier lining the curve.