1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why choose a 2" hitch over a smaller one?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by BeowulfSchmidt, Jun 14, 2008.

1. BeowulfSchmidt

BeowulfSchmidt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is there any reason to choose the two inch hitch that Coastal sells over the 1 1/4 in version that Curt has? Since the weight one would wish to tow is small anyway (I'm contemplating a small, max 4x8, trailer for just my bicycle and my wife's trike), I'm wondering why I would need the larger one? Any thoughts welcome. /bs

2. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I wouldn't and didn't choose 2" over 1.25". The reasons to do so are strength and availability of products to fit it. Both are higher for the 2". The Curt hitch is the better product anyway.

3. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    As Darell said, the only reason to go with a 2" receiver is because there are a greater selection of accessories made for 2" receiver. You will never pull enough weight to require a 2"

4. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    It all has to do with what you intend to pull which should be decided by the vehicle doing the pulling. Hitches are rated by "Class". Here are a couple of sites that define the various classes and receiver sizes and ball sizes.

Trailer Hitch Classes Defined and Explained
    trailer hitches

Use the following for Goggle Search: trailer hitch class

Good luck,
    Bob

5. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    +1 Bob's got it right. Class defines hitch strength - not shank diameter. Since many have complained about the Coastal 2" hitch .... the bottom line is to get the Curt hitch. :) I have one, and I have no complaints.

... Brad

6. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If I remember right the 1" has 200 and the 2" has 300lb tongue weight or there about. If you put a carry platform on the back it adds leverage to the tongue weight you could easily exceed the 200lbs by using leverage. It would also seem that the 2inch square tube would give less slop from side to side but that might not be correct.

7. paul2102

paul2102 Junior Member

I don't think this is correct. As BAC stated, Class defines hitch strength - not shank diameter. I could not find a class rating for the CT 2" hitch, and I didn't think it looked as sturdy as the 1 1/4 curt. So I went with the 1 1/4".

Now I am looking for a good light weight bike carrier for 2 bikes. Any suggestions?

8. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Actually it IS correct.......... (tongue weight)

Hitch ClassTongue Weight Capacity
    Class I -200 lbs.
    Class II -250 - 350 lbs.
    Class III- 350 - 500 lbs.
    Class IV- 500+ lbs.

9. paul2102

paul2102 Junior Member

Those numbers are correct, but again, as I understand it, they have nothing to do with the size of the shank dia.

10. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Correct.

... Brad

PS: I've not heard of anyone that's had a problem with a Curt (1 1/4")hitch. (jump in if you have!) However, do a search on the Coastal stuff, and you'll see that many have had issues.

11. rsforkner

rsforkner Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have not looked at any kind of hitch for the Prius so I am a little confused. What are these numbers? CT 2" hitch vs 1 1/4 curt

Are you folks talking about ball diameter? or the receiver? I've always thought that a 1 7/8" ball was used on a Class I hitch and a 2" ball was used on a Class II (and higher?) I always looked as hitch strength as a measure of the overall "system", not any one component. You can put a different sized ball on any hitch but that doesn't change the class rating.

I have seen some small, maybe 1", hitch balls on motorcycles from time to time but I don't think those are even class rated.

Bob

12. paul2102

paul2102 Junior Member

Sorry...
    CT is Coastal Tech.
    1 1/4" Curt hitch.

That is the shank dia. not ball size.

13. BeowulfSchmidt

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks everyone, for the comments. I think that clears things up pretty well. Has anyone had any trouble pulling a light trailer with the Curt hitch? I'd prefer a trailer because I can adjust the tongue weight more easily than with a hitch mounted rack, if I could even find one that would haul a trike.

/bs

14. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never seen a smaller receiver than 2 inch.
    Most light duty towbars sold here don't use a receiver but have a bolt on tongue with a 50mm ball through bolted to the tongue. Until recently only 4x4s had quickly removable tongues. I haven't seen accessories designed to fit in the receiver here either, most attach under the tow ball.

Here is the hitch I use on my lightweight motorcycle trailer
    [​IMG]
    It pivots in 3 axis to allow lean during turns.

15. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Darell will tell you all about the problems with the Curt hitch...
    Fortunately it wasn't a problem with the performance of the hitch, it was actually a minor design flaw that caused the exhaust to flow directly at the hitch and (I'm guessing) at speed the flow of air under the car directs the exhaust over the hitch... thus melting the black plastic trim under the rear bumper cover. This problem has been corrected with a new version of the Curt hitch, and as far as I can guess all faulty units have hopefully been removed from the market by now. Still, although I currently do not have a hitch if I were to get one my money is on the Curt hitch opposed to the Coastal.

16. wsmac

wsmac Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    If you have the smaller size hitch, and you just really really need the 2" for some accessory you already own (or really really want), you can buy an adapter.
    It's a solid barstock for the 1 1/4 with a 2" receiver box welded on.

Problem is.. it adds length to your hitch, making it jut out even farther from the mount and adding more leverage to the package.

17. BeowulfSchmidt

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fortunately, I don't need the larger one for anything; this is a new installation. Wal-Mart has the 1 1/4 in hitch for a reasonable price.

18. McDonald

McDonald New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I plan on going with the Curt hitch if I ever need one.

19. eagsc7

eagsc7 Geocacher

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I've read practically Everything that I can get my searching eyes on, but I still have a practical question.

With a 2008 Prius, I plan to tow a trailer that has a GVWR of 2250 pounds. If I load the trailer to where there is less than 50 pounds(practically nothing) of tounge weight applied to the hitch(1 1/4" Reciever), is there any forseable issues that I will have(besides the added drag/lower MPG).

The Steaks

20. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i just installed the 2" hitch from Prius Accessories
    purchased second hand...

It's great so far. the rear of my car is soooo much more stable.