1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why CVT?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by mistertudball, Apr 13, 2015.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Watch the RPM gauges. There's 3. The power-split device allows a small electric motor-generator (MG1) to interact with a large electric motor-generator (MG2) and the gas engine.

Being the plug-in model, it's really easy to see how effective that interaction is... while offering smoooooothness of a CVT.

Tideland Prius, Jeff N and Sergiospl like this.
  2. Jeff N

Jeff N The answer is 0042

Vehicle:
    2011 Chevy Volt
    After driving eCVT hybrids for the last 14+ years, I'm always creeped out when I have to drive one of those old-fashioned automatic transmissions. All that uneven and awkward acceleration and abrupt hunting between fixed gears. So backwards and antiquated. It's hard to believe those relics are still being sold in the second decade of the 21st century.

The performance concerns you have are all about the engine. If you want faster and more graceful acceleration you will need to get an Avalon or Camry hybrid that will take you from 0-60 in about 7.5 seconds instead of 10 seconds in your Prius v.

john1701a likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've not found the transmission more slippy than a conventional automatic. On the other hand, our previous vehicle was an Civic Hybrid with (a more conventional) CVT, so it's been some time.

I really don't understand your saying you need to race the engine, run it to red line. Give it some time.

4. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    If you have a decent amount of SOC in the HV battery, when the engine reaches full revs, try backing off the pedal a little and re-applying it gently as you accelerate, this induces the electric motor to assist and lowers the revs (and the drama) somewhat. Keep doing this until you reach the desired speed.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ That lift-off-and-reapply of gas pedal will typically shut the engine right off. And it'll stay off as long as you keep the Hybrid Synergy Display to the left of mid-point.

You don't want to go nuts with this tho: it does run down the hybrid battery charge level, especially if the HSD bar is close to the mid-point.

6. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I'm pretty sure he was just recommending to drop the engine speed slightly with his "lifting off".

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I think you are looking at this wrong.

Instead of 4 or 6 or 8 "speeds", the CVT has a theoretically infinite number of gear ratios and with computer control, the working ratio can be matched more closely to the actual load.

I think it's sophistication pretty well matches the rest of the car.

8. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No to be nit-picking but the Corolla S does have a Sport mode (engaged by a button by the shifter).

No, it's not related. The Corolla uses a cone & belt system while the Prius uses a planetary gearset.

I will say, though, that the Corolla's CVT is much more convincing as an automatic than the Scion iQ's CVT which exhibited the rubber-band effect and in "S" mode, really was just noisier (kept rpms at 2,000+ in city driving).

I drove the LE spec so no paddle shifters to test but I did notice the "1st to 2nd" gear shift blip that Toyota programmed into the CVT. It's there and provides a familiar aural feedback to those that aren't used to CVTs.

10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Perhaps one of the things I like best about operating a Prius is the eCVT.

Now when I ride in anything with a conventional automatic transmission or a stick shift it seems so unrefined.

11. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    All I know is when I hit the PWR button it goes a lot better and my cold air intake (yes, an INJEN CAI, made just for this Prius motor) gives me a nice, raucous induction sound until I reach cruising speed, then it's quiet. Then I switch to ECON. I use my console buttons like a gearshift. The only thing that bothers me about the Prius planetary CVT is that the engine can rev like hell (to 6,000 RPM) and it still feels like I'm running into a wall of whipped cream. :notworthy:

So I lose a bit of fuel mileage on PWR mode but I get the needed performance and I like that for freeway merging. The CAI does give me a bit more power as well. Worth the money, and besides it looks cool as hell. My Toyota mechanics are amazed that I did it but when they look at all the handling mods they are even more amazed.

The CAI does not affect the warranty B/C no "check engine" light comes on. Same with our Las Vegas smog test - OK as long as there's no "CE" light. INJEN has a patented mass air flow (MAF) area so the MAF sensors always get the correct reading. No other CAI has this special feature.

12. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    nonsense. if it's too noisy for you, trade in for a lexus.

13. Quentin

Quentin Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius v would really be the bee's knees with the 2.5HSD and an independent rear suspension. The torsion beam rear suspension feels overwhelmed by the larger v. Hopefully TNGA brings that sort of improvement to the next gen Prius v.

Cowa-TNGA! Toyota's New Modular Platform Reaching Production This Year – News – Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

iPhone ?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    seems to be the general consensus.