1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why DID Al Gore Lose in 2000?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ghostofjk, May 27, 2006.

?
  1. The candidacy of Ralph Nader

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Gore's neglect of "traditional family values" in campaigning

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Gore's smug, condescending decorum in a debate with Bush

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. His failure to remind voters what good shape the US was in after 8 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. His refusal of Clinton's help toward the end of the campaign

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. His close association in the public mind with Clinton

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. His aura of unsureness, e.g., use of "image consultants"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. His lack of charisma and/or "gravitas"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Bush just ran a superior campaign, to Democrats' surprise

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. None--or more than one--of the above (please post)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ May 29 2006, 11:33 AM) [snapback]262403[/snapback]</div>
    Guess who sold them the gas...

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ May 30 2006, 08:23 PM) [snapback]263200[/snapback]</div>
    Or, one could just as easily say that the Republicans and the Democrats keep winning because foolish people vote for candidates they despise because they've been brainwashed by the media into believing that only the two traditional parties have a chance of winning: a self-fufilling prophesy.

Between the Dems and the Reps, I honestly do not care which is in power, because neither of them addresses the issues I consider fundamental to solving our root problems.

Am I "closer" the the Dems than to the Reps? Sometimes. Is the tip of a blade of grass closer to the moon than its root? Sometimes. But that doesn't make it a jumping-off place for astronauts.

3. jared2

jared2 New Member

Lose what? By any standards of "democracy", he won the election of 2000. Since he was denied power by the anti-democratic electoral college, it must follow that the U.S. is not a democracy.

Democracy:

"1. Government by the people; that form of government in which the sovereign power resides in the people as a whole, and is exercised either directly by them (as in the small republics of antiquity) or by officers elected by them. In mod. use often more vaguely denoting a social state in which all have equal rights, without hereditary or arbitrary differences of rank or privilege." OED

Democracy = government by the people - in other words, by the majority as determined by popular vote.

Can anyone find fault with this reasoning?

4. stevedegraw

stevedegraw Member

Gore and Bush, two heads of the same special interest monster.

Do you realize that since 1980 there has either been a Bush or a Clinton in the White house and if Hillary wins in 2008 that would make 32 years straight. Yikes !

Stop drinking the Koolaid of either side. Let's get a new gang in there.

5. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Karnac @ Jun 1 2006, 01:37 AM) [snapback]263892[/snapback]</div>
    1980? Well, I guess, if you count Elder Bush in the White House as VP. If you want to.

6. Subversive

Subversive New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 31 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]263499[/snapback]</div>
    Yep, it's right there is that sentence. Democracy, or "government by the people," simply does not require one-person-exactly-one-vote. "Government by the people" only actually requires that some people have some input into the government, not that all people have equal input. And not all people have input anyhow--kids, and in some states, ex-felons. You are just supposing one-person-exactly-one-vote because that is the way you would like it to be. But it's not like the electoral college was whipped up at the last minute by the Republicans during the last election or two or something--it's been in the Constitution the whole since it was first written.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Karnac @ Jun 1 2006, 01:37 AM) [snapback]263892[/snapback]</div>
    So are you a LaRouchian or an Anarchist?

7. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Subversive @ May 31 2006, 11:03 PM) [snapback]263902[/snapback]</div>
    Every few years, just when I've probably dropped Lyndon LaRouche from my memory bank, something brings him back. A couple of weeks ago a pleasant-sounding young woman called, identified herself as representing LaRouche, and with out pausing to so much as ask me anything or tell me what the call was about, started rambling non-stop. I kept waiting for a natural break in her spiel so I could ask her why she was calling, but, alas, none came.

After listening for about 3 minutes, I simply hung up.

Anyone know what LaRouche's "thang" is? Seems as if he's been around a long time (but not as long as Harold Stassen was!).

8. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ghostofjk @ Jun 1 2006, 12:17 AM) [snapback]263918[/snapback]</div>
    I can't remember where I picked up this idea. Maybe even here on PC:

When annoying people call you, instead of hanging up, just very quietly set the phone down and walk away and go back to whatever you were doing. Every now and then check to see if they are still on the line.

Another idea (this one from a looney radio talk show many years ago) is to hang up on yourself! Don't hang up while the other person is talking. Hang up in the middle of your own sentence. They'll never imagine you'd hang up on yourself, and they'll think something went wrong with the line. Then, if you have caller ID, just don't answer if they call you back. Or lift the receiver and set it down immediately. Or pick it up but say nothing, as in the previous paragraph. This works best with "friends" who you don't want to talk to.

9. samkusnetz

samkusnetz New Member

gore lost in 2000? i'm sorry, no. he won in 2000. the vote was stolen from him.

a friend of mine was in italy at the time, and the newspapers there said it plainly: george bush wins presidency after his brother's state bails him out with bizarre legal tricks.

wake up folks.

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samkusnetz @ Jun 1 2006, 08:36 AM) [snapback]263963[/snapback]</div>
    What part of not stealing don't you get?

You whiners are alll alike. 'Gore won; Bush stole'

:rolleyes:

It's 2006! SIX FREAKIN YEARS have passed. We are almost up to the NEXT ELECTION. Hey, here's something you Gorans don't get.

What about Kerry? Did Bush steal it from Kerry when he conceded? I guess Ohio is run by another Bush family member?

I don't like Bush. I will work to get him out of office. But come on, let's move forward. You can't change the past by whining about it.

You can change the future by doing something about it.