1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why did Toyota change the front struts in 2005?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by sdcruiser, Jul 16, 2009.

1. sdcruiser

sdcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    In March of 2005 Toyota started using the front struts used in the Touring Edition. Does anyone know how these newer struts differ? Then in 2006 they added a new front spoiler and a new more flat under engiine plastic shield. Does anyone know why they did this? Was it in anyway to address handling complaints from some owners? Does anyone have any feedback as if these parts make a difference? How about the touring edition back spoiler? I see that same extended design has made it 's way onto the 2010.

And while I'm asking how about the touring edition sway bars. They are only slightly stiffer, about 20%, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried them yet on a std car. I had them installed today along with the struts but have not picked the car up yet and will probably change the spoiler and shield.

So I just drove my car after getting the touring edition anit-sway bars installed and the 2005+ touring edition struts. Now the car feels stabile. I can still feel the Falken tires but the front end is no longer twitchy and taking constant small corrections. I'm thinking it's the struts that made the differenc. Thanks.

2. a_gray_prius

a_gray_prius Rare Non-Old-Blowhard Priuschat Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1st, I assume that the front spoiler and underbelly improvements were made to improve the aerodynamics of the car by reducing lift and drag from air moving under the car.

There are a few threads about touring edition suspension that can be found with a search. Here are just 7 of them.
    http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/48936-standard-touring-mods.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...touring-suspension-real-world-difference.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-modifications/59630-prius-suspension.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/41925-touring-suspension-parts-research.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-prius-main-forum/41220-touring-non-touring-again.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...how-get-go-cart-handling-in-theory-least.html

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...suspension-upgrades-trd-sportivo-touring.html

3. sdcruiser

sdcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Thanks for all the good links. I didn't see much about the specific technical differnences between the frt stuts. I bet Toyota is not divulging that because it might be somewhat incriminating after telling many of us our cars are noraml.

But I have to say my 2004 has never behaved so well now that I have the 2006/touring edition struts on my car. I've had a miserable time (Love/Hate) since 2004 (Nov 2003) with my Prius and have invested many hours and dollars in a solution when in March of 2005 Toyota simply could have said, "would you like to try the 2006 struts to see if that's better?".

I don't think the anti-sway bars are the big difference although it is just a bit stiffer (the bars are about 20%+ stiffer) and I like that with less body roll. I just can't get over the change in my car now!

So anyone suffering and complaining like me about their 2004 Prius should give the frt struts a try. I did not change the springs yet and I'm undecided about what I want to do there but the struts made my day. Toyota, if you're listening, I'm disappointed in you, lol. Ok that's not strong enough but don't want to get kicked off this site.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2006 you mean. The Touring arrived in the US in 2006.

5. sdcruiser

sdcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Starting in March 2005 the frt struts were changed on the regular Prius to ones they used on the Touring Edition later (according to what I've read). I first read about this on the Sigma Automotive site just recently. Oh but you are correct because by March 2005 they were producing the 2006 models. I forgot that when it made is almost a year earlier than the model year sometimes. Thanks for pointing that out.

So I suspect they were addressing the more severe handling issues many us 2004 owners were complaining about. Now it's just mediocre instead of frightening. And since it was an improvement they just went ahead and used it on the Touring Edition too when that came out in 2006.

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh, I wasn't aware that some '05 models had the upgrade. Well then, what's on the standard 2006 non-Touring model then?

7. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I test drove a Prius in 2004 and couldn't get away from it fast enough. The only car that had ever handled worse was a 2003 I'd test driven the year before that.

The 2004 drove like a boat and felt like it was going to lose control or flip on the on and off ramps. Not fun.

My 2009 touring edition is a completely different car. Planted and flat around corners on on and off ramps. Stable at high speeds. My only complaint is the lack of feedback in the steering but the steering is very nuetral and precise.

One can hardly believe they are the same cars fundamentally. Wheels, tires, sway bars, and suspension can make a HUGE difference in a car and this is especially the case with the Prius.

It's not in the same league as dedicated sports cars, but it handles about as well as my SC400.

8. sdcruiser

sdcruiser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    Any car manuf after March 2005 has the touring edition struts as far as I can tell. And either mine were badly worn out afte 55K miles (possilbe) AND they were much better at one time and I've forgotten or there's a noticeable difference.

Like the next poster I noticed the poor handling of my car right away. And I complained to the dealer and even a regional rep. I met with a Toyota region rep and up he drove my car for about 3 min and left without ever talking to me I even took off work to be able to discuss it face to face with him. The service writer at this very large dealership, who was later fired, finally recommended that I go to another dealership. And I was extremely polite and not a jerk about my problem and he refused to tell me when the rep was there only that he said my car was NORMAL. Maybe I should have been more vocal and threatening to Toyota. But they were no help and I've spent thousands of dollars of my own money (and time) on numerous alignments, new tires and now struts and anti-sway bars.

I can afford to buy the 2010 model now but after that treatment I probably will never buy another Toyota but will try to improve mine. I drove it again today after a vacation when I rented a Kia and that darn Kia is still much more stable than my car. I bet the Kias costs less than $10K too. So I've come a ways but have a ways to go. It's the tires next because they are not very good with this car and grooves.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm.. weird. Well it's a dealer thing. I've learned to love their cars, not their dealers.

10. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed the BT stiffening plate and GY triple tred tires and it really improved the car's handling. I don't ever find it frightening to drive and it actually handles pretty well with these mods. I don't know how much struts cost, but I wouldn't invest in that until the ones I have on the car need replacement.

11. mfa-prius

mfa-prius Old member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Are "touring" struts interchangeable with "standard" struts?

I'm about to replace the front struts on my early-2005. From what I read here, it looks like the newer "touring" struts can be substituted with no other modification required. Is this true? Advisable? Are they different for different model years? I'm happy with the car as is, but something is clunking/rattling in the front end, and with 70K+ miles on it, common wisdom says replace the struts.