1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why did you buy a plug in and not an electric car.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by padroo, Dec 27, 2017.

1. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It's a choice. Many are like you, others with different concerns/experiences choose differently. Nothing wrong with choices although lots of people wish they had different choices/tradeoffs.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  2. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Analogy with flat tire is not realistic, I have gotten flat tires on almost every car I have had. For that reason I always carry a spare and tools. I also carry a small amount of tools for minor repair. The driver of the BEV that runs out of charge in the boonies is living in never never land, and was probably hoping he would get there. To logically plan for a emergency or to ignore the facts are two different things. It’s amazing to observe the # of cars abandoned because of a flat tire, new cars sometimes. This was not always the case, now a days there are apparently many who cannot, or do not know how to change a flat tire.

#102 Andyprius1, Dec 31, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
    bwilson4web and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  3. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You must live in a nail infested area, if flat tires are a regular thing for you. Yeah, those of us who take our chances would wish we had a spare when we have that once-every-30-years flat.

SM-G950U using PriusChat mobile app

4. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Iv lived all over the US, construction workers with pick ups seem to be the worse, especially here in California. There is probably a relation ship between new houses and flat tires. If beer cans were nails nobody could drive. Just about three year ago I observed 3 cars pulling off I 80, Sacto area, and thought......nails. maybe I was lucky, but no, I was one lane over and also picked up a nail, but tire didn’t go flat. When I got home and pulled nail out, then the tire went flat. I plugged it and remounted the tire. Nails get thrown in P/U s, they bounce around and out of the bed.

#104 Andyprius1, Dec 31, 2017
  5. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not sure they are quite so different. I headed out the other day with what should have been plenty of charge. Forgot about the holiday weekend and ended-up in a traffic jam that used considerably more battery than I expected. I switched to HV after a short time so I could save my battery for the driving around at my destination so I didn't actually drain the battery fully in this case but the point is that it is hard to predict how/when things will happen...Isn't having a little generator "logically planning for an emergency"? I could also logically plan for the same emergency by never driving if the battery went below a certain percentage. I do the same in the winter by never letting the gas gauge go below a quarter in case I end-up idling while stuck inching along snow-cover roads in traffic.

Earlier this week a oil trailer tipped-over on 495 and traffic backed-up for many miles with people inching along for over 2 hours to get through the mess...How much reserve battery would that have taken in 10 degree weather.

HPrimeAdvanced and Andyprius1 like this.
  6. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree, the small easily portable generator is a good solution for the BEV. In your case, when stuck in slow traffic for a indeterminate time, just put the car in charge mode, it works great. This is the first model in which that can be done.

ct89 likes this.
  7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Me too, and it was on a tire that was under-inflated and at maximum load.

8. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Why did I buy a PHEV over a BEV? Easy, the charging infrastructure around here sucks!

9. Bob Comer

Bob Comer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My tire had a slow leak for quite some time. I don't think it was too underinflated and the load was normal, but the tire went up just like a nascar tire that blows out, but it was the inside wall of the tire that shredded. I suspect that whatever caused the slow leak got worse and quick. The mechanic that saw it first wondered how I kept control of the car. (It was the left rear tire, and i suspect that made a difference)

The dealer never found the slow leak, I had it looked at a couple of times. That's one of the reasons I decided to get a Prime, I couldn't trust those 17" tires on my old Prius...

10. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    struth!

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Shadow knows! :p

12. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The infrastructure around here is not great either but more chargers are being installed each year so it is reasonable to expect that at some point the infrastructure will be acceptable.

Now the cost of using that infrastructure is still a concern...For me, if my average cost of charging were to exceed $0.20/KWh, it seems like my motivation to use it, even if it existed would be lower. OK, EV is fun so maybe I would still be motivated as long as it didn't go too much over break-even with gas. I've seen Tesla quote $0.20/KWh so they are in line...Hopefully with more chargers comes more competition and we don't see price gouging for those who must charge away from home.

13. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Unfortunately, out here in Socal, I've seen a preponderance of $0.30/kWh for publjc chargers, and even higher when you charge more than a certain number of hours! At home, my L2 only costs me an average of $0.14/kWh, so it makes sense. Also in our area, gas prices dropped $0.30 a gallon about 2 months ago and have now gone up $0.10 in the last 3 days; hang on to your shorts, ICE users, you're about to get it in the wallet!
    In addition, oil is now selling at over $60/barrel, and appears to be heading for substantial price increases.
    Have I mentioned that I LOVE my "1850-mile-per-8.9 gallon, every-month-and-a-half, fill up Prime!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG] Summertime on the Garden State Parkway, no charging stations and that includes Superchargers. If you want to use a BEV, you better have a big battery. ;)
    P.S. The lanes where the guys are outside of their cars are the express lanes.
    [​IMG]

15. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Imagine the number of people that run out of gas everyday because of that or simply breakdown.

iPhone X ?

16. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You wouldn't want to use a/c or heat in a pure EV when it's like that, unless you have a generator with you.

SM-G950U using PriusChat mobile app

17. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I was always impressed how long my old 2008 Prius would run the A/C without the engine starting . Like any gas powered car in hot weather some get hot sitting in traffic with the A/C on. I guess this is called overheating anxiety. lol

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wonder how many days a 200 mile bev would run the a/c sitting in traffic.

19. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    When I had to sit in the BMW i3-REx, 72 mi EV, in the Alabama sun four hours, I remember losing about 40% SOC. I moved the car on the flat tire to get some shade.

Bob Wilson

#119 bwilson4web, Dec 31, 2017
    Andyprius1 and KokomoKid like this.
  20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thinking about this thread as I sit at 25k ft flying across the country for a day and a half. Had free drinks, some snacks, 2 fully loaded suitcases of presents, getting to listen to live BBCR1 on the plane. Ground looks cold and frozen from above. Ice up here but no other drivers to complicate things.

Happy New Years to all

KokomoKid likes this.