1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why did you buy a plug in and not an electric car.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by padroo, Dec 27, 2017.

1. outoftown

outoftown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

pilotgrrl, bisco and KokomoKid like this.
  2. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is considerably more expensive to rent a car in Orange County California than probably anywhere else. It is also much more annoying because they do try to jam Insurance etc. at you. In the last 7 or 8 cars I've rented, the fuel tank was NOT full.
    I have NO need to rent 50 cars a year; I rent a car maybe once every 2 or 3 years.
    I have no intention of making car rental a career. If I should need a car while my car is being serviced for overnight repairs such as body damage etc, the dealers always provide me with a free loaner car.
    I hate flying, but when I do have to fly I use Southwest Airlines, and my client will pick me up at the airport, so I don't need a rental car there.
    My other flying trips involve going to France to Provence, where I use the bullet train, buses, metros, taxis and family cars to get around.
    OBTW, I DO sit and wait in my Prime, to top off my Prime's charge, when out in the field, and wishing to stay "electric"; I take the half hour or so to call clients and schedule appointments. If my car were a BEV, with the current crop available, I'd be in deep trouble with my 100 to 350 mile unpredictable driving demands. My Prime is the current PERFECT car for me while I await my Prime Superleggera Coupe plug-in AND a MAJOR improvement to the charging infrastructure!!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#122 HPrimeAdvanced, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    Andyprius1 likes this.
  3. luiset83

luiset83 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Meant to wait on the Tesla Model E, but not-at-fault car accident totaled the '04 Prius before said car was available. Turned out it wasn't a bad choice, as have a few spots to EV charge at home and my university recently installed 10 ChargePoint (free for now) EV chargers in the parking garage that I use, so that was a blessing in disguise. Meant to get a Prius with DRCC, but the poor used options for that choice and the incentives for buying the Prime (including the tax credit) ended up sealing the deal.

4. outoftown

outoftown Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Happy New Year Everyone!!
    Attached are pictures of charging stations I took in 2017. Near Belfast, Northern Ireland at the Giant's Causeway, at the Frankfort, Germany airport and at the Hilton Wangfujing in Beijing China. I wished I could have used them, but did not have an electric rental car.

BTW, the Prime is the perfect car for both my wife and I. I think an extended range or full autonomous would be the only incentive to change again.

#124 outoftown, Jan 1, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
  5. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I bought the Prime as part of an *EV/PV makeover, but it will probably go to another home when my Tesla Model 3 becomes available. Of all the makes and models of cars available, the Prime is #2 for me. If I was trying to save money it would be #1, hands down.

6. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m still waiting for someone to import and retrofit the solar roof to a us Prime.

Totally blows the not an EV argument away.

7. Flaming

Flaming Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    Not going to happen until the solar roof pass the U.S rollover crash test .. because this is the reason why .. i didnt pass the tests.

To answer the original question :
    i purchased a plug in because i couldn't afford a 100% électric car with 300+ km EV range like a Bolt .. Plus i find the Bolt ulgy , cheap inside and the front seats are way too small and inconfortable. I prefer the reliablility ofToyota over Chevrolet so it toss the Volt in the same basket as the Bolt. The 2017 and early years of the Nissan Leaf is an abominable design. I hate Hyundai..

Tesla model 3 is out of my league too .. in CAD $ we are looking at 55k $ minimum or more and maybe 75k$ for the higher end. So today , if i was looking for a car again i would look for the 2018 Leaf .. a lot nicer design and i would also wait for 2019 because Nissan has annonced a bigger battery for the Leaf 2019 with 300Km + Ev Range .. so if the price is right ... this would be THE car to get.

8. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Current PV technology just isn’t there to be practical beyond a novelty to power a couple accessories. Just not enough surface area available to do much.

Where I see a real possibility is with semi-trucks. There is enough space on the roof of a 58’ Box Trailer to be able to have significant charging ability that could be used to supplement the tractors onboard packs or charge packs built into the trailer which can be charged while the trailer is just sitting in the truck yard waiting to be used. I drive past a major Walmart distribution center weekly. There are at least a 100 Trailers parked at any given time. Imagine if they had a solar roof and large battery storage on each trailer.

iPhone X ?

KokomoKid likes this.
  9. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hmmm

The base Model 3 is 36k USD
    C dollar is 0.8 USD
    HST is 13%
    Rebate is $8k Can

I get 36000 * (1.13/0.8) - 8000 = $43.85 K Canadian

10. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The base model is unlikely to be available until the 2020s.

11. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is certainly wrong for the US; I am unsure about Canada

12. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I mean for a new order placed today.

13. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That is still probably wrong for the US, but there is no doubt that buying a Tesla is best done with some pre-planning.

From what I see on the internet, the people harping on the Tesla delivery delay are the same people who decided not to reserve the car when it became available.

#133 Oniki, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  14. KokomoKid

KokomoKid Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Solar panels produce about 15 watts/sqare foot, so yeah, not much power from a car roof, but 5-6 kW from that trailer roof, in bright sunshine.

Posted via android app

15. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I'll believe it when I see it. Elon's motto seems to be "over promise and under deliver" when it comes to estimations of timing, both for Tesla and for SpaceX.

16. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I gather that the roof area of a semi pulled by a Tesla truck is ~ 42 m*m

Say ..
    Average 45 degree incident angle
    4 hours daily equivalent direct sunshine
    16% panel efficiency after losses and conversions

42 * 0.7 *4 * 0.16 = 19 kWh a day

Tesla has said that their superbly Aero efficient design will consume 2 kWh a mile .. so 10 miles a day as a rosy scenario

#136 Oniki, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
  17. Flaming

Flaming Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology

Well this was only a guess .. but us Canadian , always get screwed and pay more for the exact same car versus the U.S. In many scenarios you can save at least 2-5k$ CND by going in the U.S , purchase a car and import it yourself in Canada. If someone is willing to through all the procedures , pay the custom fees you can save a lot of money depending of the car model of course ...

if a model 3 is 36K USD then today it's 45 139.49$ CND ... now add the sales tax (2) of my province (14.97% Total )
    so we are at 51 899.13$ , so yes i agree with you at around 43 - 44 K $ CND with the 8k rebate but I do not believe it, I persist at 50-55K $ cnd for the base model ... we'll see in 2020 :)

18. ct89

ct89 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Maybe I missed it in an earlier post. What's the equivalent cost of a prime in Canada today?
    By the math above, a $28K USD prime would cost $40K CDN...after taxes but before rebates...
    Is the math holding today?

19. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Rebates vary by province. I gather that the Prime is eligible for a $4,000 CD rebate in Quebec, so it's end cost would be ~ $36k CD

Without guesses (hopefully),
    Model 3: $42.85K
    Prime: $36K

20. Flaming

Flaming Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    We only have two choices : the base model or the top end

base : 35 204$ cnd
    Tech : 40 779 $ cnd

so 46 883$ cnd with the tax for the top model.. since it's a plugin we have only 4k rebate so 42.8 K cnd but in reality is more like 45k$ on the invoice with the little extra you can ask