1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why did you buy a plug in and not an electric car.

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by padroo, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Wow.

Then you paid more for a Prime advanced than a base Model 3 costs. Hooray for the direct to buyer Tesla operation. No extra dealer mark-ups. Perhaps you should have done better homework.

2. Flaming

Flaming Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Technology
    First - Please point me where i said that i paid 45k ? lol . Nop this was not my scenario. it's probably what others pays . You dont know me or how i got the car.

Second - Model 3 is not available yet for a minimum of 2 years - plus buying a tesla you buy an Image , a brand , they don't make something special that can't be reproduced , in 5 years , if they are still alive Tesla will be just a EV among others so .. bof. im done arguing. have a nice day.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Inspired by @john1701a and a recent cold snap in Dixie:

• temperature 10-14F (-8 to -10C)
    • 20 miles
    • 80 MPG
    • 51% EV
    From GPS based, Speedometer 55 Pro:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

A plug-in hybrid, especially the Prius Prime, treats cold weather like it doesn't really matter. In contrast, a BEV would be 'challenged.'

Plug-in hybrids work because I'm not seeking ideological purity like the hydrogen fool cells or BEV crusaders. It is the quality of life for me and my family that is a more important than someone else's dream lost in a technology eddy. Love the one that works.

Bob Wilson

#143 bwilson4web, Jan 3, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  4. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    As a practical matter, only to the extent that range will decrease.

Your 'cold snap' is my daily commute in the AM during the winter months and I am not concerned in the least that a Model 3 will have any problems. You could also consider Norway, where EVs flourish.

That said, I share your disdain for ideological purity. I shoot for 99%

5. HPrimeAdvanced

HPrimeAdvanced Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Uncle Bob, "Love the one that works."
    Is that a Steven Stills classic??!!
    I'm with you! We as consumers vote with our wallets as to what makes sense in a motor vehicle; unfortunately, as evidenced by the ridiculous number of Lumber Wagons and Stupid Useless Vehicles, many voters are NOT well-informed!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

pilotgrrl and KokomoKid like this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well at least we don't have to worry about that money going to other foolish choices.

Bob Wilson

KokomoKid and HPrimeAdvanced like this.
  7. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    A quick weigh in:
    Anyone saying that their circumstances apply to everyone else, regardless of what side they are on are no better than most politicians espousing only their way is correct.

Both sides have valid arguments and the "best" situation for each person is EXTREMELY individualized.

A nugget to add to this discussion....The Cannonball Run
    Record for an ICE vehicle: a little under 29 hours
    Record for an EV: a little over 50 hours

Some things to keep in mind about those 2 records:
    - The ICE record has been attempted and improved upon now for decades and decades
    - The EV record has obviously only been a few years and a handful of times.
    - The ICE record took some very extreme modding to the vehicle
    - The EV record was a stock Model 3 traveling in some VERY cold winter weather
    - The Model 3 energy cost was about $100

(I fully expect this fall with a Dual Motor Model 3 we will see a time definitely under 45 hours if not close to 40)

HPrimeAdvanced and Hayman66 like this.
  8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The more efficient Model 3 helps but they really need to increase the DC charge rate.

Bob Wilson

9. NJPrime

NJPrime New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I bought a plug-in (Prius Prime) because of the great experience I had with my 2007 Prius Hybrid. In short, the Prius Hybrid was a sort a "gateway drug" for me. I loved the fuel efficiency of the 2007 Prius, and I loved the quiet cabin when it would switch to battery power as I was seated in traffic. I also loved that the 2007 Prius was reliable/low maintenance. I was hooked. Thus, when it came time to buy a new car to replace my old Toyota Corolla (also a reliable vehicle), I decided to take the next step and try a harder drug, either a plug-in hybrid or a fully-electric vehicle.

I suffer from range anxiety, so I was not comfortable with the idea of buying a fully-electric vehicle. If is hard to give up the convenience of a gas powered vehicle. So I decided to take baby steps and purchase a plug-in hybrid. The choice for us came down to the Prius Prime, the Chevy Volt, and the Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in. The Ioniq was not yet available, so we scratched it. We chose the Prime over the Volt because: (i) it had better gas mileage and we do a lot of long road trips, (ii) we have a short work commute, so we didn't need the additional electric range the Volt offered, (iii) the Prime had more passenger legroom and more cargo space, (iv) the Prime was a bit cheaper than the Volt considering the features we wanted, and (v) we trusted Toyota's reputation for reliability. Thus, we went with the Prime.

Now that we have had the Prime for over a year, we have gotten addicted to driving on electricity locally. We have now begun the search to replace our 2007 Prius with a fully-electric vehicle. The Prime fills our need for a long-distance road warrior. We have driven the Prime on roundtrips from NJ to Montreal, NJ to Missouri, and NJ to Florida. Our experience with driving the Prime locally (with only 27 miles of electric range) has convinced us that we can make our second car a fully-electric vehicle and not have too much range anxiety, as long as that electric vehicle gets more than 125 miles of range on a single charge.

So, as you can see, we went from Hybrid to Plug-In Hybrid to a likely purchase of an all-electric vehicle. It is an addiction that has grown.

10. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I took the same route as you. Went from a 2012 Gen 3 Prius to a 2013 Plug In Prius to a 2015 Nissan Leaf and now have a reservation in for a Tesla Model 3 with a hopeful delivery date of mid to late 2019.

NJPrime likes this.
  11. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The best cure to range anxiety is a well developed, maintained, accessible and fast charging network.

Tesla

My reservation is presently estimated to come due in 'early 2018.' I'm looking forward to it !

HPrimeAdvanced and markabele like this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I.e. not there yet, at least on the rural routes I tend to travel.

13. NJPrime

NJPrime New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Good luck with the Model 3 reservation. It looks like a great car. What were your impressions of the 2015 Leaf? I am split between getting a 2018 Leaf or Chevy Bolt. Any useful insights on the leaf? I am a bit concerned about the Leaf's lack of a real thermal management system for its battery. How was your Leaf experience?

14. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, you hit the nail on the head. Nissan has had such bad issues with their batteries degrading due to no thermal management system. Losing about 1% of your battery each 1,000 miles is totally unacceptable. However, for a second "around town" car it still works great for most people.
    The Bolt is a great car, but unfortunately we need an EV to do long road trips in. This is currently (and anywhere in the near future) not doable in the Bolt or Leaf, no matter how much range they get.

15. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Tesla is definitely cool and the fast-charging technology is nice. Unfortunately, the fast chargering stations require very large connections to the power grid. If you want to do fast charging at home, you need some kind of energy supply which can deliver a lot more power in a short period of time than the 100- or 200-amp typical household electric service. While you might not need to charge your Tesla as frequently, you would still have the limitations of needing overnight home charging to fully restore a depleted battery.

There has been an idea kicking around that electric vehicles could be designed with easily removable battery cartridges like cordless power tools. You'd just drive into a "refueling station" and have your battery cartridge swapped out in a couple of minutes. No need to wait around while charging -- just swap and go.

On the other hand, this might not be such a good idea. In my younger days, I made several trips between Boston and Washington DC over a couple of weeks, making the trips in under eight hours by stopping only long enough to refill my gas tank at the service plaza in Montclair, New Jersey. Later, as I was recovering from a DVT in my right leg and a pulmonary embolism, my physician explained why this really is not the smartest thing to do.

As a good friend once said to me: Everything in life is either a joy or a learning experience.

16. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Me too. I've had my Prime for 8 months and have already been on 6 trips that a top-end Model 3 or Model S could not go on, either without significant delay, or at all.

Why? Are you saying you'd only buy a 300 mile range Ev if you drive 300 miles every day starting and ending at your home?

Besides, power supplies in regular houses are more than sufficient to deal with this. Take the Model 3 with 75kWh battery. Over night charging is probably 12-16 hours. To put in 75kWh in in 12 hours you need 6.25kW, which can be supplied by a regular electric clothes dryer plug. Heck, my microwave runs off one of those (I have an unusual microwave)!

HPrimeAdvanced and fuzzy1 like this.
  17. Oniki

Oniki Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    That could be the case, but it would also depend on how far you go on those rural routes and whether you have destination charging, e.g. at campgrounds.

18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually plan to go all the way across them. And sometimes not directly across, but with numerous sightseeing sidetrips, adding significant distance to my Supercharger-desert crossings.
    Most of the campgrounds I use have no electrical service at all, though the non-primitive campgrounds sometimes have plugin service for some higher cost RV spaces.

Even the rural motels will have at least 120V service. From what I see online, that will provide 3.5 to 5 miles of range per hour of recharge, providing 40 to 60 miles of range per overnight charge. :rolleyes:.

19. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just drove to and from a place, on a major paved highway, that was 620 miles from charging station to charging station.

20. DMC-5180

DMC-5180 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What part of the country was this?

iPhone X ?