1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why did you choose a C over a liftback?

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by nudriver, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The liftback was honestly never on my radar. It's too big. I might be one of the few here that appreciate the aerodynamic-centric exterior styling, but it's not something I lust after, LOL.

While I was putzing around the dealership showroom floor waiting for the salesman to fetch the c I test drove I sat in a Prius Plug-in and was rather turned off by the un-ergonomic Italian-monkey style steering wheel positioning [i.e. very out-stretched arms required, which is not proper] and over-sprung mini-shifter. *shrug* The things that matter for everyday driving were really off-base, IMO.

2. littlebigland

littlebigland Sonic Blue Prius c

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I wanted a tiny car that was fuel efficient. I always liked the regular Prius, but it was a bit too big for my tastes. The c came out and I said: "oh, that's the one."

Ryephile likes this.
  3. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The looks of the "big" Prius and my eyes do not agree. Ugliest car on the road. No offense to those who own them, I am just picky. This car looks nothing like the Prius. Wish it had a different name. When people ask, I say, "its a new hybrid by Toyota". Toyota "nailed" it on the looks from the rear. I love the way the car looks from the back. The rest of it I can live with. No one around here has one. We have all kinds of questions when folks see us get out of it. I was looking to buy a Sonic turbo hatch until I ran into this car. Hey for 50 plus mpg, at 66 mph this morning, for 30 miles, I love it. Just knowing I can get 50 plus on the hiway without trying is all the reason I needed.
    Dan

4. Ryephile

Ryephile The Technophile

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    We could put the JDM Aqua badge on it.

5. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I am not beyond putting a different badge on it. I see folks who have "debadged". It is a great car for a retired couple like us. Can't wait to take it to Detroit in 3 weeks to see how it does on the road. It does not ride as good as our Vibe GT but for 50 plus mpg on the hiway, I love the ride.
    Dan

6. JeffHastings

JeffHastings Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Love the look of the C and the trimmer size but it wasn't out yet when I needed to buy so I have a 2011 Liftback. I don't mind the much-in-here maligned center console and I love the joystick shifter but I'll definitely consider a C next time unless I can spring for a PHV. The Liftback's added room is occasionally useful but I could live without it. I don't mind the Liftback's looks but I agree the C looks better, inside and out. Toyota really managed to transform the frumpy Yaris into something far spiffier with the new C!

7. yogipaolo

yogipaolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    For me it was a combination of price and economy. I've had only a motorcycle for three years. Before that, I had a used car that I ran into the ground. As a former auto mechanic, I used to buy used cars on principle. With gas prices rising and the associated issues with gasoline, I wanted a fuel-efficient car.

I'm single and live in the city, so I didn't need or want a large car or small SUV. Hatchback styling has always been attractive to me, so when I heard about the C, I waited for them to hit the showrooms and went to have a look. I'd been shopping for cars for about 18 months and test drove quite a few before the Prius C. When I saw the mileage during the test drive, I was hooked. The interior styling was also a big draw. I love the little shelf/tray in front of the steering wheel - excellent for paying tolls, holding cell phones and change for tolls, etc.

In short, it's an efficient, well-designed affordable and stylish little car. I love my baby prius.

8. yogipaolo

yogipaolo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I faced some of the same ignorant shullbit with my Sportster. Short answer: those folks are fools.

9. habaneroC

habaneroC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I don't need cargo room. I just drive back and forth to work and we have a Sienna for other trips. The C is much better looking than the liftback.

10. fpmorales

fpmorales New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Urban combat.

11. acs326

acs326 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    For me it was mostly a matter of cost. Size was a factor, but not a huge one. I don't need the extra space in the lift back, but I cannot deny that it might be nice to have at times. I really like the looks of the Gen III Prius, and now that I am seeing some Vs in the wild I find that I like them too..... Truth be told, I like the hatchback and have wanted one for a long time.

But I have always loved small cars too, and when the C came along it was like the best of both worlds for me: a cute little car that is a hybrid - with the Prius technology that has fascinated me for so long.

I won't rule out getting a Prius liftback in a few years, maybe when the Gen IV comes out. But for now I am loving my Prius c.

12. brucepmiller

brucepmiller Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The mileage, the looks, the color and the price.

13. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  14. R11

R11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It always surprises me how widely varied different people's views are on how things look to them. To me the C definitely looks very much like a Prius family member. Personally I think both look pretty decent overall, and there are elements of each that I like and dislike. The front end of the C is it's strongest point to me and the side profile is also kinda cool, but unlike you I think the rear end is easily it's weakest view. It's all scrunched down and really chunked out with some odd, clashing angles/lines. It just doesn't seem to match the rest of the car design to me :-/. The giant chrome tail lights don't help...

The gen III liftback is the first standard Prius design I have really liked at all, with the most recent 2012 updates bringing it into the realm of vehicles I'd actually consider buying. The newest nose fascia is it's best yet and looks good, and I like the overall side profile kammback shape, even though the full on wedgeness of the hood/windshield from the front quarter view is probably the weakest angle to my eye. Likewise the rear quarters are pretty slabby and homogenous but the strong full length beltline crease helps a lot. I actually think the rear end looks pretty good on the 2012 Gen III. In particular I like the rear portion of the roof line and with the spoiler extension and the slight reverse crease through the tail lights. The tail lights themselves while still not my favorite type, I far prefer to those on the C. They actually aren't too bad.

ron

15. WD0AFQ

WD0AFQ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The tail lights on the C do not suit me but on my silver car they blend in better. If I had a red one I would cover the sides of the tail lights.
    I did not give the lift back fair ratings because I have not seen one in person. I plan to look one over soon. I do know it looks better than the early models.
    But, I still like the squatty looks of the C rear end. I'd be happier if the C had only 2 doors and a 6 speed manual transmission.
    The ride is stiffer than our Vibe gt and probably stiffer than the liftback. But, I can deal with it since we replaced the stock seats with more padding under the leather.
    Dan

16. R11

R11 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Definitely agree about the doors. When the C first came out one of my first thoughts was that it would have been a better as a two door hatch. I'm guessing the large majority of owners don't use the back seats much.

ron

17. Ashley7

Ashley7 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    No rear passengers, but the back doors come in very handy when using the entire back half of the car as cargo space :) I've always liked four-door cars for the functionality. I always figured why have back seats if you don't have the doors to go with them? But I understand the aesthetic pleasure people get out of the two-door look--just never made that much of a difference to me personally.

18. tgpii

tgpii Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
  19. ShirLit

ShirLit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    I tend to like the look of the small wagon-style cars. The C caught my attention on the freeway recently as looking similar to my Fit, but sportier. I was surprised to see that it was a Prius. I miss the cargo room and flat-fold down seats of the Fit, but overall, I'm loving the car. So I have to say looks, price and mileage brought me and the C together.