1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Did You Decide To Go PHEV over Full EV?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Joe Cowie, May 16, 2022.

1. Bill Norton

Bill Norton Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry, yes, I will do that. edit: fixed and updated signature!
    What's a Capri? A small Mercury?
    I remember that offering in the 70's??? Was there a V4 or a V6 engine option?
    Lot's of stuff was crappy back then...

I figure, if toyota cared they'd not have cars that self destruct around 200k miles.
    But then they wouldn't sell as many new ones.

2. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Losing touch with reality comes from wearing those rose-colored glasses for too long. The cold, hard truth is that we are still years away from any type of practical DCFC usage. It is very much the wild early stages of establishment. Heck we don't even have a standard here yet.

Replacement of my Prius Prime with a bZ4X is eminent. Living in what became a ZEV state last year (Minnesota, first in the Midwest), hope was we would be much further along with install plans. Instead, there is political fighting to prevent opening up of public places (like highway rest-areas) for adding chargers. DC fast-chargers are pretty much absent in all but a single corridor. I simply won't be able to travel up north with the BEV for awhile. We'll end up using the PHEV for travel.

There is nothing bad about that situation. It's just truth some don't want to accept. All of the travel within the metro area and even my adventures out to country trails will work just fine without a gas-engine for backup. The misleading about "daily" is utter nonsense though. It may be true statistically, but most people will be lucky to see just one DCFC in their area come about within the next year or two.

Heck, I'm in a booming area with lots of new construction; yet, we don't even get level-2 chargers. I'm not in denial about that though. No rose-colored glasses for me.

#42 john1701a, May 21, 2022
    Last edited: May 21, 2022
  3. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Ford Capri. 1.6 straight 4 DEC40A54-07DC-4251-BC83-4372A978CAD2.jpeg

Bill Norton likes this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Correct. No DCFC charger within ~250miles. For rural America, the change in the charging infrastructure takes years. Since I started checking the charger availability about two years ago, there has been no change in the proposed under-construction charger at a closer location. Yeah, Tesla opening up Supercharger to CCS would be a game-changer, but when would that happen? Even with Supercharger, the closest and only one would be ~150miles, which makes me nervous to drive on any BEV with less than 300 miles EV range, especially in winter.

5. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ummm, SAE Combo CCS? And then there's Tesla's proprietary connector. There is a standard.

Try putting on the ol'reading glasses and do some research, or not. :rolleyes:
    The DCFC network is growing daily.
    It's growing rapidly in Canada also, so you can go north, but only in the summer....;)

Or stay with the status quo. The Saudis are our friends and a proud democracy, that treats their women well, and we should coddle them, correct?

I guess they do things differently in Min-Soda. In the lower midwest there are DCFC stations at some interstate rest stops. Most are located at services right near the exits.

Maybe you don't understand the concept.
    L2 is for home, work, hotels, etc. multi-hour charging.
    With the new long range BEV's there is no reason to plug in at public L2's. They cost more than at home so way bother?
    DCFC is for Road Trips. They can be spaced ~120 miles apart, or more.
    Some BEV's suck it up quick! Some crappy ones like the two I own are limited to ~52KW. But it's an opportunity to get off my butt and do a walk-about every few hours when on a Road Trip!

Congrats on considering the future! I realize Brand Loyalty runs high here. There are BEV's here and now that appear to be superior to this 'someday' offering from toyota.
    Too little, too late, but for the faithful, they will wait.

As I like to say, "Remember that last wasteful oil change you did, or paid to have done? I don't !!":D

6. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Plugshare.com
    Not correct.. Unless you live in the middle of that open area... (Orange ones are DCFC. Green L2)
    upload_2022-5-21_10-59-50.png

PaulDM likes this.
  7. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    ooii Mate. Lovely picture!
    Here in the states we had the Ford Pinto and the Mercury Capri at the same time. I vaguely remember a V engine...
    I had that engine L 1.6 in a car of mine in the late 70's. Only it had a DOHC 'Al u min ium' head. A Lotus Europa !

#47 Bill Norton, May 21, 2022
    PaulDM likes this.
  8. DukeofPrime

DukeofPrime Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Maybe more often than Toyota head gaskets fail.

I hope you can get +250k miles from your BEV's battery.

Bill Norton likes this.
  9. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I must admit it’s not my car but a stock pic, but is the right colour and model.

10. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    John, ol'buddy! I didn't even notice it was you when I replied...
    You're my second favorite guy on this forum! You've toned down your rhetoric and are more understandable!
    Here's your current DCFC map:
    upload_2022-5-21_11-12-25.png

Who's my favorite, you might ask? Everybody else! ;)

11. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    What are the ones with spanners?

12. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Do you mean wrenches? ;)
    "Coming Soon" or maybe down for maintenance.
    Plugshare.com. It may work in Great Britain.

13. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Lol yes. That makes sense. In my world our “wrenches” such as a Monkey Wrench are another name for “adjustable spanners”. Our spanners are fixed head , like the pic.

#53 PaulDM, May 21, 2022
    Bill Norton likes this.
  14. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I am correct. Yes, I live in the middle of the open area on the US side. Please don't insult my intelligence. I know how to use the app and maps and find out the distance between the two-point by road. From my house to the closest CSS station 248 miles. I will not be traveling to Canada to make my usual trip down to civilizations. And even if I take a detour via Canada, that will only shorten the distance to ~205 miles from the last CSS charge station on the Canadian side.

upload_2022-5-21_12-45-53.png

15. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry Pal, I thought you were the one coming at me with the 'Rose-colored Glasses' comment.:(

However, I noticed you have a filter set to 'Max 50kW' and there are several DCFC very close to that route near the last section.
    I bet you can get some great Maple Syrup Ice Cream near one of those and top up for ~15 minutes!
    There is no reason to have that filter. It may be limiting what is shown.
    Any CCS EV can charge at any CCS DCFC station. I can plug my crappy Bolt into the latest and greatest 350kW stations.
    And you are filtering to miss any Free DCFC stations. Why?
    (When we were bringing my Bolt home from LA to KC, years ago, after the Prius blew its head gasket, we made a mini vaca out of it. There was a free DCFC in Moab, UT. We stopped for breakfast before going to Arches NP. Who doesn't like Free Fuel !!??
    That trip... It went from 114° in LA and LAS to 23° coming down the east Rockies in the snow.)

On a road trip there is never a reason to charge to a lot more than you need to get to the next station. And the charge current tapers after 80%.
    Check out abetterrouteplanner.com !
    It concisely tells you how long to stop at each DCFC station while on a Road Trip.

I may have rose-colored glasses when looking at the Clean Energy Future. (y)
    I don't have glasses that only look down the toyota lane to that future....:cool:

#55 Bill Norton, May 21, 2022
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    That's some serious denial. It can't be both. We still don't have what happened in Europe.

PaulDM likes this.
  17. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I recognize rhetoric... the online noise that doesn't actually help change the status quo.

pjm877 and Bill Norton like this.
  18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Again, you are not looking carefully and making a very hasty and erroneous comment. I set the filter to "Minimum Power 50kW" not the MAX. I can bring it Minimum to 0kW and it won't change the map. Anything lower than 50kW, as might as stay at a motel overnight and use an L2 charger. Any CSS charger less than 50kW is meaningless for a road trip. Similarly, the non-networked chargers that are not available to the public are useless. If I bring it up to the Minimum Power to 120kW which is what you are suggesting to charge in ~15 minutes, then there is only one CSS charger in my state and now the distance is over 300 miles away.

upload_2022-5-21_13-23-28.png

#58 Salamander_King, May 21, 2022
    Bill Norton likes this.
  19. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Sorry John, it's both. :whistle:
    One is a proprietary system. You have to buy a +$65k Tesla to use it.
    The other is an SAE standard that all other modern EV's use. Pick your brand. (Oh, you do...):rolleyes:

Are you talking about Tesla being forced to use the European CCS? OK,, so what?
    Are they being forced here? No.
    But if they want to play nice with the new build out they will start adding CCS connectors to the Supercharger network.
    Who knows how this will play out???

What am I denying? That the future is electric? That there are Luddites amongst us?

20. Bill Norton

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So 'Again' , Sore Ree to waste your time.
    Keep buying that smelly stuff and changing that oil, even if you don't need to. I don't care.

Curious, would it be a big deal to cross the border just to get some clean hydro generated electrons while on that trip?
    I just charged the Bolt to 100% with this new larger pack. It shows 232 miles, and that with 85% 65-75 mph interstate use.
    I'd make that trip! And get that maple syrup flavored ice cream just for the adventure near the end!!(y)