1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Do all Hybrids/EVs have such Weird Designs?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by hayden55, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @hill please comment on your experience owning the Model X.

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Sure! The S (see our avatar below) that we had short term was a dream for reliability regarding all the fit & finish / nickel & dime items ... things the X is still dealing with - growing pains. Now, of course, even the S is nowhere NEAR the reliability of the Prius ... but then again, toyota has had 4 decades to get their act together ... so of course all the small things are dialed in. The X, being less than 2 years old, still has a ways to go ... just like Tesla's REV2 autopilot. After driving both AP versions, AP1 is way more reliable than APII.
    BUT
    We sold the S for the X because it's the main driver of SWMBO (she who must be obeyed), and she wanted to sit up higher - SUV style, like her hybrid SUV Lexus we traded in ... the BEST car she says ever. It was PRFECT, even after 10 years! Compromise, we are only leasing the X, & it was a GREAT decision. If Tesla can't get the X (and AP2) dialed in prior to the end of lease, we can just walk away. We could even go "lemon" now w/ all the re-occurring minor things (it NEVER causes it to end up on the side of the road ... just annoyances) Even now it's in the shop, for repeat fixes ... collision sensors ... rear camera/wire harness ... headliner replacement ... can't detect fobs so it won't activate (w/out starting via the app) etc.
    Oh, sure, tesla will come to your house for fixes... sure, they'll provide a Tesla loaner ... etc, but when you drop a bundle of $$$, owners expect a bit more. That said, SWMBO says, "I actually ENJOY driving anywhere now". Yes, it's big, powerful, AWD, killer warranty, ultra high tech, comfy ... you talk to it & it responds to phone dial people, gps drive to places, adjusts climate, plays any kind of music, automatically opens/closes the garage door, it sort of drives itself ... on the only national quick charge network, which continues to grow leaps & bounds. It easily tows 5,000Lbs, & it adds features over the air. Recently, over the air -for people who don't like to blast off like a dragster (those who STOMP the accelerator too hard accidentally) they added a 'chill' mode, for those who don't want passengers to drop their Pepsi in their lap. Over the air, they just added head rest manual memory, along w/ lumbar/mirrors/seat position ... Tesla just added an "exit" feature where automatically seats back up / steering wheel goes up & in, to make getting in/out extra easy. Doors that open automatically on approach, & close when you step on the brake to leave ... stuff like that. Lots of stuff. but it's still not dialed in perfectly.
    Bottom line, if someone can afford it, and they can deal w/ the annoyances .... what with all the goodies and being electric ... it's light years ahead. They're only game in town, too, so that buys Tesla a lot of grace. If/when others (BMW/Porsche/Audi ... along with their interstate infrastructure) offer the same stuff? If Tesla doesn't have all the nickel & dime stuff dialed in - there will be a ton of buyers that jump ship. The other manufacturers already have fit & finish down to a science, so of course buyers will jump. So .... right now? the show is only half over.

#62 hill, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know what you mean. I went from a humble KIA RIO (2006) which was screwed together perfectly, when I washed it, I marvelled at how consistent the panel gaps were, and the paint was great (better than the VOLVO it replaced). Nothing ever fell off or rattled. But - the car was ordinary to drive, sort of like white supermarket sliced bread.
    upload_2018-2-1_9-46-3.png

I replaced it with a FORD FOCUS DIESEL, 6sp Manual. Great car to drive, best handling car I've ever had, and the diesel engine had heaps of grunt. But, oh, dear, the panel gaps courtesy of South African manufacture - they were poor, the paint had several minor defects and orange peel on some panels and not others, the seats were hard to clean etc. Tho - nothing fell off or broke. But - driving pleasure!!! More like a good sour-dough loaf of bread.
    upload_2018-2-1_9-44-15.png

PRIUS - in comparison - more like the KIA - much more ordinary to drive. But more environmentally friendly. Like wholemeal supermarket sliced bread.
    upload_2018-2-1_9-48-8.png

4. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Poetry!

alanclarkeau and Prodigyplace like this.
  5. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From somebody obviously well bre(a)d.

6. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    generally true
    Sadly - the Prime failed to follow that same up-tic. Instead - Toyota chose to 'out-do' their styling at the cost of drag cd. It's not as aero-slippery as its gen4 cousin. And let's not even get started on the giant mandibles of their hydrogen-mobile. (sigh) Its all subjective - but ... imo the original .... gen1 Insight? Its styling has stood the test of time.
    it's good to be the only game in town. It means it doesn't have to be perfect as long as the others got something worse.

#66 hill, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  7. hayden55

hayden55 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Honestly that is Teslas saving grace. When they do something wrong they are given the benefit of the doubt because everyone and there mother wants to see them succeed and generally see Teslas as "cool as shit." Coming from everyone I know who talks crap about hybrids in general but then comment, "But those Teslas man those are some nice cars... xD." I also live in hicktown, AR so yeah... lol (minus a few random haters).

HPrimeAdvanced and pilotgrrl like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So as hybrid competition increases, the weird and wonderful styling exercises start coming out of the woodwork?

RCO likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    most people considered the 2004 prius a very weird looking car.

hayden55 likes this.
  10. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I honestly think quite a few non-hybrids look awfully weird too.

for instance...the front of the 2018 Corolla just looks...weird.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Just slap a front plate on that, perfect:

upload_2018-2-1_13-43-30.png

Form follows function personified... :rolleyes:

alanclarkeau, RCO and farmecologist like this.
  12. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  13. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When I went back into the dealership a couple of days after I purchased my Prius another new car was sitting on the showroom floor right where mine was and I didn't study it but I believe it was a new Corolla and I remember thing how sharp the Corolla's look now, not so bland.
    Oh well I guess I am just used to ugly anymore.

14. hayden55

hayden55 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I could honestly post a dozen links to automotive journalism sites giving the gen 2 Prius an award for being a weird looking car. lolol

#74 hayden55, Feb 1, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2018
    RCO and bisco like this.
  15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    hayden55 and Tideland Prius like this.
  16. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh god. Yeah I have no idea what happened to the Corolla. The S/XSE looks even worse. At least this is "passable". The pre-facelift looks better.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  17. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After reading that Jalopnik article, I don't know what it is about Chrysler, but they, Honda & Hyundai sure have heavy hands with the ugly brushes.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

hayden55 and RCO like this.
  18. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I thought when I saw the COROLLA Hybrid and PRIUS side by side, the PRIUS was better balanced overall - the protruding front rounded but messed up by sharp angles - and sharp rear lines were unbalanced:
    upload_2018-2-2_9-36-5.png upload_2018-2-2_9-39-48.png

Though the prototype Corolla was more interesting still:
    upload_2018-2-2_9-36-49.png

19. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I sorta thought that IONIQ wasn't too bad looking - at least in photos, hasn't been released here yet.
    upload_2018-2-2_9-41-39.png

RCO likes this.
  20. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And it looks pretty good IRL (in real life). I've seen 2 so far.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.