1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Do Fuel-Cell Vehicles Make Electric-Car Advocates So Crazy?

Discussion in 'Fuel Cell Vehicles' started by Sergiospl, Aug 1, 2015.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i will, next time i bump into him.:cool:

2. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    OK, I'm waiting.

3. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    23% are probably plugin car owners :)

Sergiospl likes this.
  5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    "The consumer insight survey revealed the majority of Canadians (75 percent) would like to drive a vehicle not powered by gasoline – but they aren’t keen to turn to traditional battery electric vehicles (BEVs), with 71 per cent of those surveyed indicating that constantly having to charge a BEV is a pain and 67 per cent feeling they are too much of a hassle to drive.

This may indicate why 64 percent demonstrated an appetite to drive a vehicle powered by hydrogen and 77 per cent believe hydrogen fuel cell powered vehicles are the way of the future."

Would like to see the actual poll questions. Many people say they want to use less gasoline in polls, but few are actually buying hybrid versions.

6. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Best comment in the section.

Eight in Ten (80%) Canadians Believe Electric Cars are the
    Way of the Future | Ipsos

After being informed from the survey about fcv (76% didn't know much about them, they seemed to like the idea
    Not a very good survey if gauging demand for fcv, but who knows.

Ford EV Owner Survey: 83% Considering Solar, More Than 90% Would Buy An EV Again
    By EV they mean plug-in this includes both phevs and bevs.

I don't think plug-in advocates are made crazy by fuel cells, but yes, there is a lot of misleading information about fuel cell vehicles including the questions asked in that survey put out by hyundai. The ford plug-in survey only surveyed adopters, that seem to really like their plug-ins, but that is not the population at large, but tesla, and chevy report similar results.

I can't help but think canada is a lot more like texas than southern california, with large amounts of space and more hostile weather requiring a much more expensive refueling infrastructure per likely vehicle.

#26 austingreen, Aug 12, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
  7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    That was what I was thinking. I've heard it described has a country the size of the US, with the population of New York state.
    Isn't most of its population more closely located to the major metro areas, though? Less sprawl than the US.

8. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    600 Mira orders in 10 days for CA launch is a positive thing. I believe there are only 30 available.

9. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They aren't orders. Just people signing up on a website saying they might be interested in getting the car.

lensovet and vinnie97 like this.
  10. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    is it okay to act crazy because of Toyota spinning old GM type lies (humner type vehicles versus hybrids) about what's best? Eventually the Hummer collapsed. Do we really have to wait until hydrogen cars collapse?

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    600 orders? .... or 600 prospective orders. How many will get washed out due to insufficient credit, or insufficient distance from the puny amount of hydrogen recharge stations. I'd like to hear Toyota say the 600 were picked out of 1,000 hand waivers - but you never hear that. And due to all the previous dishonesties - I tend to doubt the reliability of the 600 number. Gee, imagine that .... no one gets weeded out regardless of credit or distance from a hydrogen station. Kind of makes me wonder how many dead-beat bumbs signed up - or how many disingenuous Toyota employees signed up, just as a goof. I have to admit I was one of them - signing up with ulterior motives ... if only to see how far the refuel radius can be. Believe me, the refuel radius ain't that big. Toyota doesn't want you to have to wait for a 20 minute refill, on top of a 20 minute drive just to get to a hydrogen station, & then 20 minutes to get back home.

#31 hill, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
  12. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I even signed in to see how far I what get. Not very with a Pa zip code, but what is the likely hood that such sign ups aren't counted by Toyota?

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Even as Toyota boasts of someday-soon (hopefully) working, hopefully not too slow, hydrogen stations - the supercharger network is right at about a 500 count build-out ...
    [​IMG]
    (from supercharger network dotInfo.)
    Multiple routes to cross the nation - already completed in just what .... 3, 4 or 5 years? Compared to hydrogen lobby boasts of someday-soon 20? At how many multiples of the cost of Tesla's nationwide (&growing) network would an equal amount of hydrogen stations cost ?
    Roughly a 100 to 1 ratio between Hydrogen & supercharger stations alone, already, but then if you throw in the hundreds & hundreds of CHAdeMO quick chargers usable and available, the cost & speed of build out differences between FC & EV is mind boggling.
    So why do so many plugin folk get their shorts bunched up when Toyota's spin lobby spews half truths? I guess they're just unreasonable.
    ;)

#33 hill, Aug 16, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2015
    lensovet, vinnie97 and Trollbait like this.
  14. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It's tough to get across being for Fuel Cell development while being against Fuel Cell favoritism politics. Before too long the politics become justification for abusing taxpayer money claiming one thing while actually supporting a very different thing.

Trollbait likes this.
  15. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are you against the Miria or Toyota as a whole? (n)

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is what Greencarreports is talking about.

Ok, so you're saying they are lying today because hydrogen will collapse in the future, :D, This is good stuff! watching too much television?
    Yes!

18. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    An interesting "renewable definition" to help spur fuel cells, may make some renewable advocates a little crazy.
    Fuel cell power plant proposal headed for Connecticut Siting Council
    If you want to claim fuel cells running on natural gas are using renewable power, all you have to do is write a law saying they are;) I expect any hydrogen refueling stations in these 12 states to claim 100% renewable hydrogen. Of course this is currently just for stationary fuel cells, as there are no public hydrogen stations in Connecticut today. How I got here was the bizzare claim that a quick charger using electricty from one of these fuel cells powered by natural gas had the gall to claim it too was renewable.

East Coast Gets First DC Charger Along Express Charging Corridor
    The new 24 KW L3 and the 10 L2 at 777 Main Street would be labeled as natural gas powered in Texas, but in Connecticut, somehow the legislature thinks they are renewable. You know just like corporations are people.

lensovet and Trollbait like this.
  19. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    that's just great... the hydrogen industry can have it both ways. And here I was stupidly thinking that it couldn't get any better.

20. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You do realized that they are producing and selling electricity right?

The so-called renewable electricity is actually from natural gas. Go knock on plugin advocates that wrote the law. Seriously, drop your politic colored glasses.

Fuel cell is used because it is cleaner than the traditional combined cycle natural gas power plants.

Bloom Energy fuel cells (using natural gas) are so clean, that an EV that runs of it is cleaner than of CA grid average electricity.