1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do my doors and plugin door occasionally lock?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Db17, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I can’t quite figure out why sometimes my doors and or the cover to my plug lock when my car is parked in my garage. It doesn’t happen very often but it does occasionally happen.

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If you unlock the doors using the handsfree method of touching the door handle and don't actually open the door the system will lock everything after a short while. Not sure this is your problem but it was something I wasn't aware of this until it happened to me. FWIW.

mr88cet and jerrymildred like this.
  3. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Indeed, or with the remote, radio-dongle key: In short, if you unlock the door, but don’t actually open it, they will re-lock after a minute or thereabouts.

4. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I don’t think I am unlocking or locking the doors. I drive into my garage and get out, then close the door. Sometimes when I come back it is locked and sometimes not. In any case, is locking the doors related to locking the charging door cover? Sometimes I find it locked and sometimes not.

The most likely reason for this is somehow, inadvertently, I’m telling the car to do this. I just can’t figure out the mechanism.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You could be touching the SKS senor on the door when closing it, or the fob button is getting pressed in your pocket. I've seen the latter happen with other cars, and why some functions, like panic, require you to hold the button down.

Not impossible is the chance of an outside signal causing it, like the garage door opener.

6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The "outside signal" could be a human being too.
    Are you married ?
    I am not as diligent as I should be about locking the doors.......so my wife fixes my mistake occasionally.

7. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    If you really want to know, ask the car. Using a Toyota Techstream diagnostic system, look under Body Electrical > Main Body > Utility > Operation History > Door Lock/Unlock. The time-stamped event records, such as “Manual Lock,” “Auto Entry Lock,” “Wireless Lock,” or “Shift Linked Auto Lock,” identify the reason for locking or unlocking the doors.

8. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Well let's see ... I don’ think I touch the outside door handle when I close the door. Does anyone? Nor do I shut the garage door wirelessly once I pull in. I push a button on the wall.

I guess the button could get depressed in my pocket but I’ve never set off the panic so you’d think that would even out.

Techstream is a subscription service, right?

I just tested locking with both the fob and the SKS on the door. When locking the doors neither method locks the charge access door.

9. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If I remove the charger, close the charging door, then push the lock button on the key fob, I usually hear a click in the charging area as well. I’m not sure, but I presume that’s it locking the charging door.

That’s kinda-sorta the opposite of the scenario you’re describing, I suppose.

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The panic button for the Camry is a hold one; you have to hold it down for a moment before the car starts wailing. I've had something in my pocket hit the door buttons and lock or unlock the them while I was near the car. Never had the panic go off that way.

11. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Panic button triggering in pocket is a regular occurrence for me. I always intend to epoxy that button to prevent it, but somehow it never gets done. Maybe I can just slide a piece of paper between the button and the contact for a fix that can be removed if I sell the car.

12. Db17

Db17 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You must wear tighter pants than me. Hell, for the last year I’ve only worn sweatpants ;)

mr88cet likes this.
  13. PiPLosAngeles

PiPLosAngeles Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    It does only happen in jeans. It's because I have a bazillion keys and a wallet in that pocket. Inevitably one corner of a key gets jammed against that button. Usually when I'm doing something like working under the sink with a pipe wrench so I can't just pull the keys out and make it stop right away. :mad:

Db17 likes this.
  14. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Duct tape. Fixes everything.
    :ROFLMAO:
    Or....buy jeans with a watch pocket.
    THEN your fob will likely go through the wash a time or two.
    Mine has survived so far.

schja01 likes this.
  15. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    "Panic button": isn't that the "where the *** did I park the car" button? At least, that is the only use I have ever had for that button.

:D