1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do oil changes yourself besides the overfill problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priussoris, Apr 14, 2007.

1. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MickeyA @ May 29 2007, 02:52 PM) [snapback]451591[/snapback]</div>
    VERY popular down here in this part of Florida (west coast, near Tampa)..... this is where I take ALL my used oil (remember the lawnmower "used oil", too) !! There are two Advance Auto stores within 5 miles of me and two other about 10 miles away. I use the "used" kitty litter plastic containers with a large (about 3" dia.) cap. Easy to fill, easy to empty !! While I'm there I often find the MOBIL1 "on sale" for $4.88 qt., which is just as cheap, maybe cheaper, than Wal-Mart or Costco.
    :rolleyes:

2. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    My local Wal-Mart has an auto center. I bring my used oil there and they take it for free. It's one mile from my house.

It's fair, because I buy almost all my new oil from Wal-Mart.

Harry

3. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ May 29 2007, 03:28 PM) [snapback]451611[/snapback]</div>
    When I lived in Connecticut (pre 2000) I used to take my "used motor oil" to a local gasoline station I purchased a lot of gasoline from. Actually the owner, who knew me, said I could just leave the (capped) container on the side of the building, even like on a Sunday night (they were closed Sunday's) and he would take care of it for me on Monday morning. This was GREAT.......... went on for quite a few years until one day someone poured paint thinner or acetone ?? into the used oil and the dealer was fined ($$$$) for "contamination" or something like that. From that point on he had to STOP the "public" from bringing in their own oil. Up in Connecticut we had no Advanced Auto Parts stores so I accumulated months, years (like 10 containers) of used oil and finally brought it on a Saturday morning to the dirty, disgusting, "nails and metal chunks all over the dirt road", RECYCLE CENTER near me !!

4. wayne60014

wayne60014 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I do my own oil changes for every one of the cars that I've ever owned. Several reasons I do my own oil changes.
    1. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic oil
    2. I put in the correct amount of oil in the car, dealers and oil chnage franchies usually put in too much.
    3. Its cheaper if your using full synthetic oil
    4. I let the oil drain out of the car for a good 20 mins, dealers and oil change franchies usually drain it in less the five mins meaning there is still old oil in the car.
    5. I don't have a problem with the oil drain plug and filter being installed on too tight, I had a problem with one of my cars when I got lazy one day and had an oil changed at one of the local jiffy lubs and the next oil change took me for ever to take off the oil filter, I literally destroyed the filter inorder to get it off the car, from that point on I never took my cars to any dealer or oil change franchies.

5. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ May 29 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]451583[/snapback]</div>
    My county has two government-operated waste disposal sites that accept household quantities of certain hazardous substances like used motor oil and filters. The oil is dumped into a large tank and, when the tank fills, they haul it off for recycling. There is no fee, presumably to entice folks to use it rather than disposing illegally.

6. lupin..the..3rd

lupin..the..3rd New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GoEco @ May 29 2007, 02:44 PM) [snapback]451583[/snapback]</div>
    Flush it down the toilet, usually. Leaves a nasty ring-around-the-bowl tho and the splashing makes the seat all oily. Dig a hole in your back yard and pour it in there, less messy that way. More fun tho to just toss it in the neighbor's yard and see the look on their faces when they discover their dog or kids playing in the slick! :lol: Priceless!

7. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Most Wal-mart's will take your used oil (as long as they have the tire lube express), also all Autozone's, & Advanced autoparts all have bins in their stores.

8. subarutoo

subarutoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wayne60014 @ May 29 2007, 12:56 PM) [snapback]451623[/snapback]</div>
    Me too. I've always done it myself. The only difference between Prius and my other cars, is the suggested tire rotation. Even with a floor jack, and proper tools, I cheat and do the tires every other change (10K miles). At 35,000 miles the OEM Goodyears still look good, so I'm OK with the extended tire rotation interval. I've always been of the feeling of doing everything I can for myself, and letting the pros do just the "big" stuff when needed. I think I may have had a "Professional" oil change maybe once in the last 50 years of driving, and that was because it came free with the Smog Check which I needed anyway. Those days are over. I hate waiting around dealers, scheduling time, etc. Not sitting in a dealer, means I get to spend more time driving and enjoying my car! :) Not true for everyone, but it works for me!

Kragen Auto Parts has a dump station. I save the oil in plastic cat litter jugs, and dump it when they fill up. Its really no big deal.

9. acdii

acdii Active Member

Used oil, I filter it through a few filters and then mix it 20% into my diesel fuel and run it in my tractor. I would like to run it through my F350, but not 100% sure how it will affect the electronic dual shot injectors.

10. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ACD @ May 30 2007, 04:25 PM) [snapback]452286[/snapback]</div>
    I also have a friend that lightly spreads his on his private dirt road, I guess it keeps the dust down. And he said something about spraying much of the frame of his cars with used oil before the winter because it keeps the salt from corroding the underbody.