1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do other drivers seem to hate me and my Prius?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by cdnbrit, Apr 25, 2016.

1. jettlash1000

jettlash1000 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hear you, I just got my Gen 4 Prius a week and a half ago and I'm not feeling ANY love from other drivers, coworkers or anyone really. I typically drive 5 mph over to keep up, and don't use EV unless it's an open road. Hang in there!

2. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    many thanks! we don't need to perpetuate the stereotype that all prius drivers are selfish types that block the traffic just to save a couple of pennies.

if one is a new hybrid driver preoccupied with all the displays, that's understandable, but eventually one should get a clue and mature.

Coast Cruiser likes this.
  3. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wondering if Gen4 style will be more immune. Prii accepted here but other motorists will proactively pass a Prius on the assumption it might be slower. Sometime Prius is a slower driver, sometimes it isn't. I would say here not to many Prius drivers trying to hypermile...just a sensible car here.

4. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    understandingly, as some of us drive for pleasure and some of us drive to commute.

5. Coast Cruiser

Coast Cruiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Fast & Furious, baby!

And still getting 60 mpg. :D

6. stormchaser

stormchaser Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Pretty much the same in the UK too. Makes me laugh really with all other drivers aggression when they're powering past you and I'm in my CT on electric and they're burning all that fuel just to get one space in front haha. Idiots!

iPhone ?

ETP, bisco and alanclarkeau like this.
  7. ShaAnn

ShaAnn Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have owned my Prius c for four weeks now.....I have had drivers race around me then get stuck at a red light and have to sit there and wait. I have also had gum thrown below my wiper blades and it melted and I thought must have been a student since I work at a school.

8. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    maybe that's a sign you accelerate too slowly?
    the whole idea of prius victim mentality here is disturbing to me. my take it, look at the mirror and ask, could be me before assuming it's them?

i'm also a teacher (sort of, at an university) and never had any vandalism to my prius (other than careless driving by my family members). on the other hand, once i had RAV4 keyed badly when it was brand new. the problem was i towed my boat with it and someone did not like my RAV4 parked a public boat ramp next to all those manly trucks.

i guess i should explain my rumbling, IMHO, vandalism can happen do different cars for different reasons.

#28 Former Member 68813, May 3, 2016
    Last edited: May 3, 2016
    San_Carlos_Jeff likes this.
  9. D_n_D

D_n_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    In sac area it's the same.
    Prior to our 13v we had a taurus. We stick 5 over and rarely got passed in our taurus.
    Mainly get passed by prius or luxury vehicles.

Now that we have a v everyone rides our tail and or passes us. Many wreckless doing 15 to 20 over. Most are lifted trucks or luxury vehicles.

I have been tempted to debadge so people don't see hybrid or prius wording.

But mainly it's idiots on the road who think they are better then everyone and or in there teens or early 20s.

I will stay in the slow lane mainly for the best mpg. Avg 46mpg and about 85% hwy. 50 is my top with a bit more city driving.

ETP likes this.
  10. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well...5 under the limit will do it.
    My experience is the majority of people are going at least 5 above the speed limit, perhaps more.

While I think a lot of Prius owners, like to "enjoy" the role of being persecuted by the general driving public. I think this is usually over stated.

Having said that?
    Yes, I have experienced "Prius Hate" on the road.
    I had one truck pull up beside me, and the passenger open his door and directly spit on my Prius.

So yes, some people do have preconceived ideas and prejudices about a Prius, and they DO let it influence their reaction to it.

The bottom line, as an owner and operator is to drive safely and legally. And I would say that to all owners of any and all vehicles.

If we are being somewhat more put upon as drivers of Prius in terms of other drivers reactions?
    Well, I just ignore it as much as possible.

ETP likes this.
  11. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    They hate me for a reason. I try to drive 55 if possible.

12. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thats not Prius hate thats because your a hindrance to traffic flow. Here most of our speed limits are 70 or 75 MPH and streets are very jammed with traffic. Some people need to get over the obsession with getting the most fuel MPG and drive the Prius like a normal car when in traffic or on interstates. It handles speed and road trips as well as or better than any other car I have owned, and I have had a lot of them I'm 74. I have never experienced the hate but that could be because of the NRA and SIG stickers on rear window.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Do you mean speed?

ETP and fuzzy1 like this.
  14. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Drive safe, reasonable, and with the flow of traffic -- near the traffic speed mode. With large variation in speed -- increased closing speed vs. significantly lower than traffic mode -- comes increased risk. On the road as well as on the track.

lar.smith42, Coast Cruiser and D_n_D like this.
  15. D_n_D

D_n_D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I totally agree Air_Boss.
    Same goes with merging. Multiple times a day I see people merge doing 35 to 45 while traffic is 65 to 70+.
    Then they randomly will speed up and cut you off or else go slow and nearly get hit.

I drive our prius v like I did our taurus. And yes it can spin the tires. Better when taking off at a turn like our taurus.

It's not just prius owners it's every make. It's mainly the way people drive in the current conditions.

16. lar.smith42

lar.smith42 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What part of drive it like a normal car don't you get? Get over your obsession with MPG and keep up with traffic flow and don't be a hazard to other drivers.

Air_Boss likes this.
  17. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Which traffic flow? Around here, there are several concurrent flows, with different speed limits.

Trucks cannot legally exceed 60 anywhere in the state, and a significant number of them obey that as a condition of continued employment. Most of the rest don't go over 64, even with cars going 70. That leaves some cover for the cars that don't want to go 70+.

We recently got back from travels that included a week of driving in the EU, specifically Poland. Truck limit was 90 kph, and they obeyed it extremely well. Car limits varied from 100 to 120, will poorer compliance. But a significant number of cars held back with the trucks. That fairly large speed difference did not appear to be causing any significant hazard. Same in Italy a few years ago, where cars had limits as high as 130.

Or is this inability of some folks to handle speed differences (some regions, not all) , a uniquely American thing?

ETP likes this.
  18. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Right lane is there for a reason and it suits me fine unless passing. I do not drive 55 in a 70 zone on the interstate unless it is raining.
    No need to speed and drive like an idiot in the local area or anywhere. Don't you love it when someone weaves in and out of traffic to get in front of you and then slams on the brakes and turns.
    I bought a Prius for MPG and not a sports car. Other wise I would be driving a larger faster car.

Time will tell who lives the longest:ROFLMAO:

Speed limits here range from 35 to 70 but mostly 45-55. I drive 45 in a 45 zone for construction/everyone else speeds and some get tickets. The sections for 70 are not common.
    Speed limit means limit and not minimum (minimum is a separate posting and is usually 45 on the interstate (you will get a ticket going 44 without a valid reason) . Driving conditions may require a lower speed than 70 as a max. At night and poor visibility I try to drive 55 on the interstate. Sometimes I have to speed up for various reasons.

Slow down and live.

Wednesday told Pugsley as she was strapping him into the electric chair, " lets play a game, is there a God?"

Good riddens eh! Imagine that, all cars obeying speed laws. Can't wait for the "Nothing but desolate wastes and fierce beasts. And the poor little Oompa Loompas were so small and helpless, they would get gobbled up right and left. A Wangdoodle would eat ten of them for breakfast and think nothing of it. And so, I said, "Come and live with me in peace and safety, away from all the Wangdoodles, and Hornswogglers, and Snozzwangers, and rotten, Vermicious Knids." to be off the road.

Alright no need to call me names:ROFLMAO::LOL:

Just because I am 124 doesn't mean I do not have a right to a drivers license.

BTW, it seems to me that 4X4s 24" off the ground speeding and weaving in and out of traffic with one person in the car consider a Prius a personal rabbit hunt. Most likely get decapitated in a one on one.

#38 ETP, Aug 10, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  19. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Observe the speed mode and drive near that speed and you minimize risks all around.

Coast Cruiser and ETP like this.
  20. ETP

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Man of wisdom in a desolate land.

Air_Boss and Raytheeagle like this.