1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do people drive like jerks?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by pyccku, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Jun 29 2007, 06:42 PM) [snapback]470343[/snapback]</div>
    Perhaps the people to whom you refer are afraid that they'll get stuck behind you...'cause, once you pass, you'll slow down again...?

Not saying their behaviour is the best practice, but IMHO it *is* a drag when your speed and someone else's are about the same, and you're both unable to establish a cruising pace that allows both of you to stay in the same lane.

Do you think that driving a couple of mph faster or slower might be another way to reduce the friction between you and the other driver? Sometimes a mph or two is all it takes to break up the pack.

In any case, I think you're *way* overreacting, even thinking about calling 911.

Personally, I set 'speed ranges' for myself. I think to myself, what's the fastest speed at which I'll allow myself to cruise, given the speed limit on this road? And how much above that (if any) will I go if I have to pass?

Am I towards the high end (can't do much passing), or the low end (a few mph to spare, so I can still pass, slow down a bit, and not violate my personal maximums)...?

I guess I've just never been into hard and fast limits like you mention. If it takes seven or (dare I say) even eight above to get away from someone who might endanger my safety, you'd better believe I'm going to go seven or eight over the limit to put them behind me. At that point, it seems that the law is actually doing more to harm than good.

But, I think it's safe to say that the top ends of both of my personal speed ranges are probably always going to be higher than yours might be, so I've given myself a bit more latitude (and, for whatever reason) don't seem to run into these problems.

Then again, my mpg is only in the mid 40's...

2. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ Jun 29 2007, 08:14 PM) [snapback]470355[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, I rarely come flying up on someone else in the left lane, because I drive with the pace of traffic. Usually, in my area, this is about 8 - 10 MPH over the posted limit. If I do, I will wait for them to make their pass and move back into the right lane.

Now occasionally, I will come across some slackjawed idiot that thinks the left lane is just his/her personal lane and refuses to get over no matter how many cars are stacked behind them. Of course, this leads to people passing in the right lane and then abruptly cutting back to the left in front of the jerk in an attempt to wake him/her from their daze. I usually give them a flick of the lights and a couple beeps of the horn before I pass them on the right. More often than not, they are gabbing away on a cell phone.

3. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ Jun 29 2007, 09:04 PM) [snapback]470406[/snapback]</div>
    OK, but I don't think these few cases are the PC members you are lovingly referring to as "left lane dick"...

4. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tyrin @ Jun 29 2007, 10:32 PM) [snapback]470432[/snapback]</div>
    No, I was specifically referring to chinito77 when he said,
    That is the very definition of being a Left Lane Dick.

5. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

Here's chinito's full statement, in context...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinito77 @ Jun 29 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]470034[/snapback]</div>
    Not going to defend it. It's probably very dangerous and I wouldn't do it. Still, the guy going 30+mph over the speed limit in his SUV and tailgating (which is the person that chinito describes messing with) is certainly no better in my mind. Those speeds are uncalled for, anytime. The basic dynamics of a busy highway guarantee that there WILL be someone going slower than you ahead of you in your lane at some point. It is your job to not create a dangerous situation by NOT tailgating, and slowing down until there is an opportunity to pass.

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pyccku @ Jun 29 2007, 10:10 AM) [snapback]470036[/snapback]</div>
    A SUV driver being a d!ck? Surprise suprise.

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=33473&hl=suv

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Jun 29 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]470361[/snapback]</div>
    This has been an issue in the area I live in... and it doesn't just happen to me.
    I'm talking about basically open road here... I live in a very rural area, and I drive a state highway to and from work.

Several of my coworkers have run into the same issue. And, it isn't that I'm driving slow, I come up on the person (as I'm doing a good 5 mph faster than they are), pull to the (wide open) left lane, and they immediately speed up to match my speed, not letting me pull back to the right. If I slow down (and, as I said, this happens to others, too, regardless of vehicle they are driving), they also slow down.
    This will go on for several miles of frustration, until the person trying to pass kicks it into serious high-speed.

So, it isn't me, and it isn't my driving habits. It is actual, live AHs that drive around here.

8. TheAnnoyingOne

TheAnnoyingOne New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Answer to the topic's question:

Because they ARE jerks.

9. JackDodge

JackDodge Gold Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A rational reason for irrational behavior? There is no rational reason for irrational behavior, ipso facto.

10. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Cheap oil allows people to act on impulse without thinking. We have a culture that substitutes oil for knowledge without acknowledging consequences.

11. chinito77

chinito77 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    All right everyone, let's play nice. If I ticked you off Swanny, I apologize but I was trying to answer the original questions on why people drive like jerks.

First, I don't go picking on people when I'm driving on the roads. I don't hog the left lane just so others can have a bad day. Sure, I do like to stay on the left lane since my roads are 2 lane roads. I move out the way with priority when "official" vehicles pass by. Everyone else, depends on the situation. Maryland isn't like other states with signs on the road that say the left lane is for passing only. Perhaps some people don't know this.

Second, I DO have the authority to say how fast people should go. There is a speed limit posted and everyone should obey those rules. I understand I'm breaking the rules if I'm going over but so is everyone else but in a non reckless way. I intentially slow down reckless drivers to make them realize what they are doing. I own these roads like every other tax paper. I don't need to have reckless drivers putting others at risk because someone is late for work or likes to drive fast in their shiny sports car. Even if the reason is semi-valid like taking someone to the hospital, that person is putting others at risk. I have zero tolerance for someone doing 90 in a 65.

Third, I drive with the flow of traffic, never alone on the left lane. If the flow of traffic is 20mph over the speed limit the racing guy behind me should follow that flow and not try to weave thru the pack. THOSE are the type of people who I discourage.

You can say that two wrongs don't make a right, but that is my rationale. It's what separates me from you.

12. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    chinito77,

Since when are you the arbiter of who is driving recklessly? I am sure that many people would say that you are driving recklessly by doing 80 in a 55 as you alluded to in your first post. How is that any different that someone doing 90 in a 65?

I'll give you a hint -- it isn't. You are both exceeding the speed limit by 25 MPH. Your comments are totally hypocritical because you are saying that it is fine for you to drive 25 MPH over the speed limt, just not someone else.

13. Hobbs

Hobbs New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(chinito77 @ Jul 2 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]471603[/snapback]</div>
    I suspect you are a greater danger on the roads than those you are attempting to educate.

14. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Hobbs @ Jul 3 2007, 06:33 AM) [snapback]472173[/snapback]</div>
    Makes you wonder if the police should be targeting those who cause road "rage" as well as those who commit it.