1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do people hate the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tarusse1, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Personally, I like it. I'm guilty too. Hell, I've gotten banned from PriusChat before, lol. Screw political correctness. Everybody should have a bite to them -- a "bad side" so to speak, a la Black Swan.

As long as you can contribute and help other members when needed, there's nothing wrong with a little swagger and 'tude from time to time.

1 person likes this.
  2. Skoorbmax

Skoorbmax Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well, that's just because everyone to a person who drives a domestic is a scumbag!

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh moderator....
    Oh Mooooderator....

He's being mean!!!! :D

(dang...I wish sarcasm has a font!!!)

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Just use the [sarcasm]...[/sarcasm] tags.

:rolleyes:

Tom

5. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    [sarcasm] Global Warming is real, and we can stop it by driving Priuses and slashing the tires of pickup truck drivers...[/sarcasm]

Damn.... I can't get it to work....:confused:

6. DataWrangler

DataWrangler Prius Owner (finally!)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Interestingly my two gay neighbors drive a pickup (Toyota Tacoma) and SUV (Mazda Tribute).

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    [sarcasm]ETC is welcomed to post anytime he wants. He's my favorite person in the world[/sarcasm]

Nope. Works just fine.
    :D

8. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm confused. Why must a defender go to another place to fight the enemy? If I came to your house to fight you I would be considered the aggressor not the defender, but for some reason US forces go off shore to "defend" the USA. Oh, not next door either, half way around the world.

F8L wasn't saying he was opposed to the armed forces, I don't know and don't profess to speak on his behalf of his opinion of the armed forces but, he was commenting on the people the armed forces send back into the civilian population.

By the way, I think those " people who are "able-bodied Americans are military duty shirkers dressed in patriot’s clothing whom only “Support The Troops” with lip service not military service." might also support the troops through their taxes, but hey, you are such a patriot you would have served for free and paid for your own food and housing if that was an option.

Edit:- Sorry that I responded to a very old post.

1 person likes this.
  9. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can clear part up this up for you.
    The military goes where they're sent.

Prius hate is pretty much people hate, the way I see it, and it's principally directed at (the oft inaccurate) perception that Priuses are "rollong road blocks", or their owners are ultra-liberal, bed wetting, tree-hugging, latte-swilling, activists.
    Simple.
    Since the Prius is such an iconic vehicle, it becomes an easy mark for stereotyping, and let's face it...There are some people out there that are working veeeery hard to perpetuate some of these unfortunate stereotypes.

Ignorance is the breeding ground for hatred. My feelings for Priuses were very different before some evil capitolist threw one in my parking lot and told me I had to drive it every day. Since I was thrust into the world of Priuses, I decided to learn a little bit about them. If nothing else, I'm a little bit better for the experience.

In the 30 years that I've been in the military, I've encountered the same kind of ignorance. No big deal, really.
    If you're not down with the whole GWOT (Global War On Terrorism) thing, that's OK with me. Get with your civilian representatives, and vent your spleen with them. :cool:
    One of the other things that separate us from other countries is the fact that our military is civilian controlled. Like I said....we go where we're sent.

10. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

1 person likes this.
  11. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you need to take a serious step back and re-read all of this thread so that you may come to realize that no one in here said they hate the military. I did state some common memes held by military personnel and you appear to be holding true to that stereotype. I am happy we have a strong military force and I also feel they should be well funded. It's the attitude problem that I can't stand.

You need to realize that some people are not interested in joining the military because they do no believe in some of the recent (last few decades) activities and campaigns. To belittle someone for that choice and to act as if you are somehow better than them is a sad joke IMO. There are many ways to serve your country and your fellow man and many of us do that every day. A warrior? Any fool can rush into battle with a gun and hatred in their eyes. Try being a single mom working full time and taking night classes at the local college while receiving no assistance because you fall between the cracks of our state programs. Those people are just as much a warrior as you perceive military personnel to be.

So pull your panties out of your crack, grab a beer or latte, sit down and have a rational discussion about the Prius with us. :)

1 person likes this.
  12. pkhoury

pkhoury Proud TDI owner

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And this thread isn't making me change my mind about the status quo of most Prius owners being latte-swirling liberal lefties who think Obama is the greatest gift to mankind, agree the economy is at it's peak with plenty of jobs available, and not necessarily hate the military, but have a distrust and disgust for its members. Of course, there are the minority of us who are or were Prius owners (I still am, as I haven't sold it just yet) who do NOT fall into this category.

13. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Think what you like, homie. It's your right to do so. Just like it's your right to make fun of PriusChat and it's members on a TDi fourm. :)

14. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

15. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree that many military personnel are not "delta minuses". There are many who are but that is common in any population. Some of my favorite professors were those who were ex-military. They seemed to have a real grasp on the real world and not just theory.

No, the meme I described was one of arrogance and ego as well as the attitude presented by Mattleerocks in that he was out to save money and didn't care about environmental issues. I apologize to Matt if I paraphrased that incorrectly.

I did not characterize ALL American warriors as fools. Do not misinterpret what i wrote.

It's not apples to oranges when some people elevate only the military to some higher status as if no one else in this country has made and is making sacrifices for the betterment of their nation. I would argue that my value system is higher in quality than a lot of the military men/women I have met throughout my life. There are many fine men and women serving that I hold in high regard so please do not assume I hold all military personnel in disgust. Only a few fit into that category but if you think my value system is tarnished because of my views on this subject then you really don't know anything about me and what I do for a living.

So it's ok for someone to take a swing at issues that I hold dear and base my existence on yet it's not ok for me to do the same? Why did you bother posting? Wasn't it because you took offense to what i wrote? Be honest now.

I grew up with Air Force personnel, my roomate and good friend is ex-Army, and my brother is a Marine. I'm pretty well versed in what these people have experienced and I respect them for that. Regardless, you cannot honestly admit to presume that everyone who serves is worthy of such admiration. There are bad apples in every bunch and some people are just in it for a paycheck because they couldn't figure out what they wanted to do or could do in the civilian world. Besides, Matt said it himself. He was looking to save money and openly ridiculed environmental issues, pollution, etc.. Just as the military folks got all up in arms at my comments, I don't particularly care for the type of comments aimed to ridicule issues that have negative effects on public health, the economy, and environment. Tit for tat.

2 people like this.
  16. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Man I love this song... :)

17. Sporin

Sporin Prius Noob

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't want to get involved in this ridiculous side-argument but I have to say, that doesn't describe a single Prius owner I know (and I know quite a few) and it sure as hell doesn't describe me.

Broad generalizations are rarely accurate, whether they be about Prius Owners, or Servicemen and women.

18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Look.
    Part of...some people would argue the best part of, the Constitution that we in the military swear an oath to protect and defend, is freedom of speech. Civilians are not obliged to swear similar oaths (or make affirmations, for you religion haters out there) BUT...(comma) all citizens are bound by this same document---as amended.
    The Bill of Rights are somewhat hierarchical---much to the chagrin of gun haters out there, which means that the First Amendment is pretty important. Some would say foundational.

OK...civics lesson finished.
    We all say and do things that are insensitive to others. I don't recall F8L landblasting me when I refer somewhat tongue-in-cheek to environmentalist as "bed-wetting liberals" probably because he has a fully developed sense of humor, and because he (hopefully) doesn't wet the bed. In other words, he's probably secure enough in his belief system that he won't allow some cranky old Navy Chief to rattle his cage much.
    I'm the same way.
    Avatar and handle notwithstanding, I don't wear my patriotism on my sleeve. I've got 10 Submarine patrols, 33 Hydrographic Survey deployments, and 2 OEF/OIF deployments (one in the sand-box, and one in GTMO) that give a pretty decent perspective on life in the military. I also have 10 years of service for the NRL doing "save the planet" oceanographic crap----so I can see things from the environmentalist point of view as well.
    Having said all that....if somebody wants to be anit-war, anti-military, anti-Prius, or against laws protecting mattress tags, AND their willing to suit up and do battle in the arena of public debate-----I'll be here.[​IMG]
    If somebody wants to avail themselves of their first amendment rights by burning a US Flag, for example...knock yerself out. The law and the Constitution (as amended) says you can burn all of them you want.
    Just don't expect me to be the first one to dial 9-1-1 if you decide to express yourself in front of a VFW on any given Friday night.....although I would sincerely appreciate any advance notice so that I can bring a chair, a cooler, and some popcorn!....:D

Re: Why do peope hate the Prius?
    Well......sometimes it's because their owners do not have a fully developed sense of humor.....:D

PS...I like the Alabama song too...

2 people like this.
  19. catgic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

20. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm fundamentally conservative, but I see both sides. True conservatism doesn't lend itself to unequivocal support of the military, and it never did. What the neo-conservative movement has done is polarize the country using emotion for military and religion to gain votes (and $$$). The media has helped them tremendously. I'm not talking about just FOX either. It's ABC, MSNBC, CNN, etc. who are all controlled under neo-conservative influence.

It really is quite sad, but goes to show that all politicians are tools.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.