1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do people hate the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by tarusse1, Apr 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This would not surprise me at all.
    I just think it's so sad that people act this way to Prius' or any hybrid car in general. Like "A_Gray_Prius" say's, it's a car, not an identity. I think it will be funny that in 30 years, we all will have electric cars, and possibly hydrogen cars will be just arriving and all the rednecks will have Prius' and hybrids. When will they learn?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you mean g/w isn't a hoax?:eek::eek::D

3. DataWrangler

DataWrangler Prius Owner (finally!)

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I interpret these links to show that Aisin make transmissions for both Toyota and Ford among others. Not clear who designed the various transmissions listed ... Aisin or the auto manufacturer.

I agree with you on the US plants.

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My guess is that hating of Prius is tapering off. It was pretty high a few years ago when demand was so high, then you get the comedians and South Park dogpiling on the car and some owners.

Anyrate, along comes the 2010 with its sleeker looking front end and bolder looker rear, more of a fastback type shape. IMO, it's not a sexy car. A Lexus IS250 is sexy, a Prius is sleek and functional.

I think the worst of it is over for the Prius. There are so many hybrids and a couple electrics coming out, only a neanderthal would be pooh-poohing advanced tech cars at this point.

I'm looking for more 'sport hybrids' to come out like the CT and such. That's what I'd like to be driving in 5 years.

Still, can't forget the Prius was the first mass produced hybrid in the world and it is still thee hybrid.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Perhaps on the 1st point but you'd be surprised on the 2nd. I still sometimes frequent Other Vehicles - MY350Z.COM Forums and even this year, there are still a number of people there w/Prius hate and the usual misconceptions about hybrids.

Although many sports car enthusiasts generally hate/dislike monstrosity class SUVs (terrible handling, terrible brakes, lousy overall performance, etc.), a few there own them too. The latter generally can't be bothered to care about out their horrendous consumption of oil, our dependence on foreign oil, us competing w/2 countries w/over 1 billion people, safety of other drivers, pollution, greenhouse gases, etc.

It doesn't help that there are are bunch of German car and diesel fanboys (not that those fanboys would actually buy a diesel themselves) mixed in there. However, at least I can tell them "hey, even the Germans are adopting hybrids now..."

1 person likes this.
  6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some people like power. Hey, I liked my R1, etc, etc... There will always be some form of auto racing. That just toys with many, usually guys, minds. They wish they could be that auto racer. So, they go out a buy hopped up cars.

I read a brief discussion with a Stanford professor of environmental about his book on oil. He says there is much oil left to burn and we will be using it for quite some time. But he also believes there will be more alternatives.

I sure hope so. I read about the thinning of permafrost in Siberia where there's huge amounts of methane gas underneath, which could speed the process of global warming. Not good.

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's because lots of Prius drivers drive a bit too slowly. It also reminds folks that they're making a bit of a self-indulgent decision by driving whatever it is that's a non-Prius. And that makes them a bit defensive; from there hate is not far off.

8. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I think the most sincere complement is talk about the Volt being a "Prius killer." It is the target that every other manufacturer "shoot" at (and, it makes no difference if they are direct competetors); you do not see anyone aiming at Kia.

I am dismayed more that Prius owners seem to suffer a confidence problem: "What is that noise?" "Is this normal?" "does yours do such and such?" The most recent Consumer Report states that the Prius lost "ground" in the inquiry "would you buy the same car again?" There is no doubt that Toyota has not had a good year from a PR viewpoint. To bad, because I am 100% satisfied with my G3 IV; I like every aspect of the vehicle, obviously mostly the fuel efficiency, but I like the interior and exterior design, I like the center console; I like the ride, comfort, fit and finish, and electronic components.

I hate the way the media WILL ALWAYS identify a Prius in ANY traffic incident. I have no recollection of ever hearing other brands identified. But, I suppose that is one of the difficulties of being #1.

2 people like this.
  9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's more the shape of the car. Many just cannot get into the smoothed shape, others just don't like small hatchbacks. To them, a small car should have a trunk - an SUV, CUV or mini-van with liftback is ok, but a small car, no way. Weird, but that's where we're at with $3.25 gas.

Europe, totally different. Hatchbacks are everywhere from what I've heard. Stuff happens when gas is $7/ US gallon, roads are small, and I guess, having multiple cars is a luxury.

10. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wait until gas goes up and fewer people are out of work. Sure, there will be the Volt, Leaf, etc, etc.... but nothing matches the Prius on price, features, ....

I've driven my 2009 for over 2 years. I've driven the 2010 over 1k miles. No comparison. New one is in all the important ways, a better car....

and it doesn't gurgle like the gen2 :)

11. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You are back! Or perhaps I haven't been paying attention. Either way, it's good to see your smiling avatar again.

Tom

12. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    I 2nd that!!
    Welcome back what's new? Are u getting a Leaf?

13. CaptAjax

CaptAjax New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Many people hate the prissy, asshat drivers of these cars, not the cars. As a new owner of a '10 Prius, I have been amazed (and amused) by how anal retentive many of these autophiles are. I'm a self-confessed redneck who just bought one to save a few bucks. I don't give a rodents rear end about carbon footprints or other such crapola. Also, the self important cretins who insist on hypermiling on the inerstate while I'm trying to get to work are just asking for a rear-ending. (And I mean their cars, not them!!) I mean - spending big bucks to throw away good tires to get new ones just to pick up a few tenths of a MPG?? Thats retention run rampant. Putting cheap pipe insulation in your grill to block the airflow and get a warmer engine?? Please!! Only when the Prius is purchased and operated like a tool, not a toy for oneupmanship, will it be taken seriously. Til then the pussilanimous pussyfooters will just have to live with it! Deo Vindice!!

14. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you come to a Prius forum, you should expect to find a large concentration of Prius enthusiasts. If you visit a Jeep forum, it's not uncommon to find a lot of posts about big mud tires. These are self selected groups, and in no way represent Prius or Jeep drivers as a whole.

Tom

15. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    funny, i've been watching a bunch of other cars, ie.....trucks, jeeps, etc going much slower than normal lately. so slow that i've had to P&G around them to get ahead!

16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a Prius driver and a non-Prius driver. (I'm NOT defensive...I'M NOT!!!...:D )
    Anyway...
    I hate to say it, but most non-Prius drivers don't even think about Prius drivers very much...if at all....unless of course they run into one of the many 'ambassadors' in our little clique out on the road somewhere. The Prius is like, the 13th (maybe 12th now) most popular car on the roads now, and while that makes them faaaar from ubiquitous, they're hardly an uncommon sight, even outside SOCAL.
    People drive a vehicle to satisfy a want and/or a need. A 1970 Chevelle SS would probably fall into the 'want' category, and would be what some folks out there would call 'self indulgent'. A 2010 GMC pickup truck usually falls into the 'need' category---since the Prius has a towing capacity roughly equal to my 2006 Harley Davidson, and I haven't quite figured out how to get a 4x8 sheet of plywood or sheetrock into a Prius.

Not all Priuses are piloted by environmentalists. All pickemup truck drivers aren't driven by unwashed cretins who don't care about the environment.
    The 'truth' is usually in the middle somewhere, and in this case I suspect that it's somewhere between the rabid Prius cheerleaders and those who choose to hate Prius drivers.

JMHO...:cool:

17. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

Almost everyone has to drive to work, or to look for work. Assuming what other people "are" and not being courteous to others is the problem. Being considerate to others = no tailgating. If someone wants to wrap their Prius, or any other car, in green bows, use wooden wheels, and put the radiator on the roof, that is their business.

18. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You lost me after tailgating...:confused:
    But yeah. Tailgating is a bad thing. Priuses aren't the only vehicles out there that get tailgated...NOT by a long shot.
    My V-Rod will knock down a quarter-mile in 11.something seconds. Not super fast for motorcycles, but believe me I'm NOT the slowest vehicle on the road---and tailgaters are much more dangerous for motorcycles than they are even for Priuses.
    I get tailgated all the time, on one of my bikes, in my truck, and yes...:eek: in my Prius, since I'm usually motoring along at something close to the speed limit....and yet I haven't read the first post in any motorcycle or truck forum where people are whining and crying about being 'hated' on the road...well...except maybe for loud pipes (we have our 'ambassadors' in the motorcycle community too! :D )
    If you drive....you're going to share the roads with other people. Some of those people are going to do things to hurt your little feelings. You're going to have to deal with it.
    Like I said before....
    People don't "hate" Priuses...they mostly don't even think about them. Yeah, some of us Prius drivers get grief, but let's face it...we have a large "public relations" arm out there...;)
    I mean...when was the last time you heard someone complain about those nut-job Tesla owners out there...:D

19. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They aren't? :D Please don't tell me that not all rednecks are unwashed, uneducated, bible-thumpin' cretins. :p

20. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Naaaah...I took me a bath Saturday.:cool:

1 person likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.