1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do some Prius have those grey circles on the bottom front lights?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius2NE1, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Prius2NE1

Prius2NE1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For the third-generation Prius in particular, I have notices on various models, there are these black/grey circles that are placed on the far bottom left and right sides of the vehicle. There is the normal headlight cluster that curves around the hood of the Prius, then below that are the little Daytime Running Lights and I believe your turning signal lights as well- this is where there are sometimes this material covering the bottom most portion of the light.

My 2012 Prius has a trim level of 02, and it does not have these circles on the lower set of lights, yet I have noticed other Prius do have them. I have also seen other Toyota vehicles with something similar to this, but I don't quite understand the purpose of it.

The black Prius with the 2NE1 license place is my own Prius, which is free of those grey circles. The second Prius is one that does have them.

00e0e_7xtgvf7A400_1200x900.jpg

hyg.PNG

#1 Prius2NE1, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those are plugs for the holes where fog lights are not installed on 2010-2011 models. DRLs did not appear until 2012.

3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, on the 2010 and 2011 only a model 5 has factory installed foglights. All others have that gray plastic plug, unless aftermarket oem style foglights are installed.

On the 2012 to 2015 Prius, the level 5 has the oem foglights in the lower grill. Lower models without foglights have a grill without foglight openings and is a separate part number.