1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why do we romanticize/glorify pirates?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by airportkid, Jul 16, 2007.

1. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(onerpm @ Jul 17 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]480317[/snapback]</div>
    You are lucky you can't hear her reply -- and that the wench doesn't drench you in ale!

As for why we romanticize pirates, there's always been a romanticization of "bad boys." Handsome men with a dark side. I don't read romance novels, but take a look at the covers and descriptions.

There's probably a long list of these characters somewhere, but the best I can do off the top of my head is Rhett Butler.

As for pirates, body odor, bad breath, bad teeth, scurvy and being pickled in rum can't be smelled from my seat in the theatre, so I'll keep watching Johnny Depp.

2. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Every year we celebrate talk like a pirate day at my school. Well, at least in my classroom (and those of a few other select teachers).

We've yet to do talk like an Enron CEO or talk like a vice president or talk like a religious figure wearing a goofy hat day. Somehow, talking like a pirate just makes things more fun.

Seriously, my students can't use the restroom unless they add ARGH to the request.

3. formerVWdriver

formerVWdriver New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(pyccku @ Jul 17 2007, 07:12 PM) [snapback]480553[/snapback]</div>
    I want to go to your school!

4. pyccku

pyccku Happy Prius Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    At first the kids think I'm absolutely crazy...why is the French teacher insisting they talk like a pirate? But they finally get into it, and the ones who come back for 2nd/3rd/4th year French will start asking me "when is the pirate day?"

I do mention Lafitte, who was a famous French pirate out of New Orleans. We also talk about St. Malo, home of the corsairs - who were basically pirates with the king's blessing so long as they gave him some of the booty!

Usually by the time Talk Like a Pirate Day rolls around (September 19) my students have figured me out. I like to joke around and have fun, and it's more fun for them if they get in on the fun. Anyone who rebels will have to walk the plank, so they might as well join me.

5. randreed

randreed Same as it ever was . . .

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm sick to death of the whole pirate thing and now our community is having the annual picnic with a pirate theme - of all the luck..... :huh:

6. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Blow me down...

Attached Files:

7. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    We *do* glorify all sorts of thuggery. How about the Sopranos, for starters?

Why do you think that cop movies are so popular here? It's as much about the crime, as it is about the folks who attempt to solve them.