1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WHY does the engine rev so high & still NO power??

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Eric "v", Feb 1, 2015.

1. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Even in the PWR mode when I really step on the gas and get an RPM reading of over 5,000 RPM on my Scan Gauge II I still feel like I'm running into a wall of whipped cream.

How can the engine rev so high and STILL I get very little power? Is it the CCVT tranny's computer that is screwing me?

AAAAaarrrrgggghhh!!

2. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    The moral of this story is that stomping on the gas doesn't accomplish much except to burn more gas. The system is not designed to be driven that way.

3. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What did you drive before buying a Prius?

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It's built to save gas so yes the CVT is working against you as is the little 4 cylinder engine. However it's possible that your high voltage battery has been discharged too much. THAT will really weaken the acceleration. On my 04 I ran out of gas once at 60mph and used up the battery driving 2 miles to the gas station. When it started again, it was all engine, no battery. Talk about barely moving. My v will burn rubber at times when I step on it and the HV battery has energy to add to the equation. Not Mustang or Charger rubber, but a chirping Prius rubber.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you kidding? mine is like a rocket! take it into the dealer and have them check it out, sounds like your clutch is slipping.

alekska likes this.
  6. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    My previous "car" was a Toyota RAV 4 (V6) that truly was quick at 0 - 60 mph at 6.3 seconds. I miss the power but not the gas bills.

So yes, I can chirp my Prius' tires on take-off but it's the 40- 80 mph. acceleration that I'm talking about. I hate to hit PWR when I need a bit of acceleration but I guess that's what it takes. THAT is why we need better electric motors.

Bisco, I'll ask my dealer's dedicated Prius mechanic to test drive it and tell me if it is within normal parameters.
    Unlike hyper -milers here I'm happy with 36 -37 MPG city and 38 - 40 MPG highway. In 'Vegas if you dawdle at green lights you get stampeded, honked at and flipped off, so I do try to keep up with traffic.

7. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Naughty, naughty!

Bill the Engineer.

bisco and hill like this.
  8. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The PWR button doesn't give you more power--it just makes it available with less accelerator input, at first. It's just a remapping.
    Full throttle in Normal *or* ECO is the same as in PWR mode.

9. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    yep - he's darn right evil .... in a good way. I thought he was going to suggest that it's a worn throw out bearing.

bisco likes this.
  10. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Might I suggest that the OP consider selling the Prius before he burns it out and consider a Mustang, Challenger or Camaro with a MANUAL transmission. No car with a CVT is going to hold up to that kind of driving, regardless of make or model. High milage and high performance are mutually exclusive.

Bill the Engineer

11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    This is just "Facts" not "Judgement".

The main reason to use an Atkinson Cycle engine is that it offers diesel like efficiency. (In a Diesel 40% of fuel become motive power at peak, with the Atkinson Cycle 37% of fuel becomes motive power at peak, and with the traditional Otto Cycle 25% of fuel becomes motive power at peak) The trade off is that per liter of Displacement, Atkinson Cycle produces little power. To make up for the lack of power, (particularly off the line) Toyota adds electric motors. An electric motor makes peak torque at 0 RPM, so a small motor can have a impact at low speeds.

No where does Toyota position the Prius as a muscle car, but it is quite lively until about 60 MPH. By 60, air resistance is a major factor in the HP required to cruise down the road and the electric motor is not able to offset that. I love the station wagon, but it is not as aerodynamic.

My claim "All the power any adult could need, but not as much as a boy could want." certainly applies. Many drivers have some learned a reluctance to push the pedal to the floor. (PWR mode caters to those afraid to push harder)

Now the "Judgement"
    You seem to be claiming that in Vegas, your 40 to 80 time is holding up other drivers at stoplights. I moved out of Nevada in 2002, but I do not recall those kind of speeds in town. My Toyota Corolla All-Trac wagon, I drove in NV only had 105 HP, no electric motors, and no one honked, perhaps it was just pity. (I never ever accelerated in that car except at full throttle, no one noticed) The top end on a v is going to be under 105 MPH, due to gearing, I rarely get over 90 passing farm equipment in MS.

Stevevee likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  13. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Don't hold your breath waiting for electric motors that can provide a lot more output power from the same input. That's impossible.

14. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You need a Tesla to get better electric motors and batteries. Just trade in the v and pay 4 or 5 times as much and you will have an electric rocketship on wheels. Or just leave your v in PWR all the time, especially if you are good with it then and can live with 38mpg.

15. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    I'm always the first one out at the traffic light against anyone but a lunatic and still get 41+ MPG overall (I pay attention and am not on my cell phone!). It isn't my Porsche, but it is what I bought it for, a high mileage lots-of-room every-day hauler.

I don't see any significant difference between the v and my 4WD CRV except the gas bills and the repair bills....all in the v's favor.

16. Heikki

Heikki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius does have a clutch but it´s purpose is to reduse power transmission vibrations.

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    exactly.(y)

18. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A proper launch in PWR is nearly as good as a catapult shot.

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    OP: are you draining the battery by trying to drive in EV mode?

20. ftl

ftl Explicator

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three