1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Does YOUR Commute Suck?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 28, 2009.

1. 2009Prius

2009Prius A Wimpy DIYer

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Thanks! I will do some more experiments then. So far what I found is that the MFD always shows lower instantaneous MPG at higher RPM, and my 20 mile commute drops from about 70 MPG to about 60 MPG if I use higher accelerating RPM.

2. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    my commute is relatively flat. its 25 mph about two blocks out of the development i am in. onto a 40 mph multi-lane road for 3 miles or so. then goes down to single lane 35 mph road for a mile, then a turn onto another 35 mph road that crosses a small valley with the Deschutes River at the bottom then another turn onto a 35 mph road about a mile to work.

time to get there (start at 6 AM) about 13 minutes...time coming home (at 4:30 PM although its been 5:30 PM due to mandatory OT) .. well that can be anywhere from 15 minutes if real lucky to 25 minutes (average time) to as much as 40 minutes (has happened waaay too many times!!)

when i am coming home and turn off the road that crosses the valley (we will call it Henderson Blvd since every one else in town calls it that) on to the single lane road at 35 mph for a mile (we will call this Yelm Hwy) i usually go any where from ½ a mile to ½ a block before traffic stops because of the backup at a light that is a mile away. then i will move about 100 feet and stop until i reach the light. its about a mile from the turn to the light. at this point, the same highway goes to 4 lanes and is still relatively busy (it is the main east/west road and turns into a state route about 6 miles past my development turnoff.)

this is the main reason i drive the Zenn because stop and crawl traffic like this KILLS mileage. the Zenn takes it all in stride.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i lived in Riverside and drove 91 a million times. its up one hill, into a valley and out...over and over and over

4. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Because I walk to work and don't drive my Prius :(

5. MaulWalker

MaulWalker New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I live at the entrance to my subdivision. My commute to work involves pulling out onto a road with a posted 45 mph speed limit (and most drivers treat that as a suggested minimum) immediately to a long, up-hill climb. Of course, coming home I can really bump up the mileage coasting down the hill. Lynn

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i took a pay cut to take a job where i would not have to commute. sometimes i wonder if it was wise but the money thing has not become a real issue yet. now, i dont own a home or anything, but at the same time, the higher pay probably wouldnt have changed that anyway.

for the most part, i probably could swing a home loan, but not willing to take that financial commitment yet. as it stands, i have 3 cars, oldest being 3 years old and dont owe a dime on any of them and that is how i prefer to live....debt free.

one of these days, i might change my mind and do the long term commitment to financial servitude, but not right now. 3 months ago i was thinking about getting another job when my work cut their pay scale, but i am surviving on the new one so i will wait and see how it goes. but at least i am in the situation where i can still EV to work and back without much issues.