1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why doesn't a Prime or other 110V charge EV not have ONLY a normal 110V inlet plug as best option?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by The Big Sleaze, Jan 2, 2021.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    purportedly... it'll never happen

2. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    got link? That one on Amazon looks kinda home-made, lol, like someone cut off a dryer cord and slapped a cord-repair end on the other. And of course, just like a nice aircompressor I had to get rid of, it would require either parking next to dryer and disconnecting it, or running a monster extension cord. Again kinda not worth it for saving $1.50 worth of gas.

And the real issue with the 220v compressor is there are at least THREE "common" 220V outlet types in residential use in USA, not counting of course the job site Twist Lock.

Anyway, I still think there needs to be an option for just plugging in a household cord, and/or having a self reeling 110V cord in the car. Just put some dire warnings on it, and "For experience users with Safety Training" and have online class or something, and include the existing big funny cord as "The best and safest method". There is safe, and then there is going overboard such that people will avoid it due to safety and due something else all together.

#62 The Big Sleaze, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Listen, if you are going to suggest preposterous things, at least think it through. Start by buying a Prime so you have an example to work from. Look carefully at the port where you plug in the J1772 connector. Look at all the room. Then take apart the existing charging cord. You'll see it's mostly empty. Take the components out of the casing and re-arrange them to fit in the void of of the charging port. Make a circuit board to match, building into it the prongs for the J1772 connector. Leave room for building in the prongs for a 20 amp 110 circuit. Once plugged in, never remove it.

Boom. Done. Go for it and show us the result when you are done.

#64 dbstoo, Jan 7, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    @Rob43 iirc

5. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The Toyota North American models are junked up with a variety of stuff that serves no purpose except to make it harder for lawsuit-crazed Americans to sue Toyota. If they want to sell here they have to do it.

jerrymildred likes this.
  6. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I feel your pain.

Then again, few factors among American state of mind, and demographics, means there will be a higher % of people doing stupid stuff with stuff that could be dangerous when sold to General Public. I'm sure fact there is no standardized National Healthcare is also a factor in excess lawsuits over product liability. You do something stupid and hurt yourself bad one of the first big questions is "how/who gonna pay for hospital bills?"
    About 1/2 the Prime owners I've talked to have thought about some hack (of high voltage main batt!) as power source for "off grid" living or blackouts.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same with the pip, but peeps are too lazy, talk is cheap. or should i say 'chat'