1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Don't I Get The EPA Mileage?

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 5, 2007.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Why Don't I Get The EPA Mileage?

Hi Barb,

no worries. Feel free to post a new thread in the fuel economy section. You'll get more replies.

A few tips to get you through winter
    - install an engine block heater (EBH). This will pre-heat the engine for pennies (depends on your electricity price) and shorten the warm-up time of the engine thus improving fuel economy

- a few of us block the grille with foam pipe insulation to keep that engine warm. Air entering the grille will cool the engine quickly because the engine has aluminium heads which cools quicker than iron block heads. If you don't have a scangauge, remove the foam pipe insulation in 50°F+ weather

- minimise heater usage and bundle up instead. Lower the climate control temp to the bare minimum that you're willing to live with. (Sometimes I turn it off at a traffic light and let the engine shut off, then turn the heater back on when the light goes green).

When summer rolls around:

- read up on the pulse and glide technique

- Be aware of your local roads. Experiment with different routes and see which route gets you the best mpg (might take longer in terms of time and/or distance).

Regardless of season:
    - watch ahead. Driver's Ed says 8-12 seconds ahead. This lets you prepare for lights turning red or people cutting out of side lanes and so forth that would force you to brake. Maintaining momentum is key for max mpg

- Never hold up traffic. It's not worth the few mpg to have traffic back up behind you or people getting pissed. Try to disguise your glide by letting people pull out of the curb or approaching a red light.

- take advantage of rolling hills and carry as much momentum up to each incline

- avoid going over 65km/h because above that speed, the engine comes on irrespective of whether it was on or off before because it will prevent the elec. motor from overspinning. It'll use very little fuel but no fuel used is better right?

2. composter

composter The Hermit

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I recently traded in my twice daily 12-mile, 34 minute commute for a twice daily 3-mile, 5 minute commute. And I must report that the Prius mpg is much worse for my shorter commute (also comparing hubby's 2005 against new 2008 Prius). So I am only getting about 40 mpg. But a little arithmetic tells me that the shorter commute is still better in total gas consumption, carbon cycle, and of course wasting 5 fewer hours per week just driving to work and back while producing nothing but emissions, even at 50 mpg. I don't think needing to modify my driving has anything to do with it, just the driving conditions and distance and temperature. Still I am reading up on some of the recommendations given here, just adjusted tire pressure today.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

With a commute that short you'll LOVE what an engine block heater will do for you...esp. if you can plug in at work too.

4. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

i'd kill to make my 3 mile commute in 5 minutes. at least you got that going for ya :p

5. BarbB

BarbB New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Thank you all -- you rock! I don't know why -- maybe because the temp went up to 32 yesterday -- but my mpg also got better for similar commute to work. Got around 45 mpg to and from church today -- a little warmer and a little less traffic. This is a wonderful place to learn. Cheers to you all, Barb

6. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

oh it's quite temperature sensitive. Any warm spell means mpg goes up! :D

7. ssnab

ssnab shelby

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Hello to the board as this is my first post.

I now drive a 2006 Prius. Bought it new (5/'06) while at the same time driving a 2005 Prius. Have since sold the 2005 model. The 2006 now has approx. 23 K miles. Average MPG is just barely above 40 on roughly 50/50 hiway/city, and crossed over the 40 MPG only after a 5,000 mile road trip. Average MPG on that trip was 42.30. The 40 MPG average is not a guesstimate, but calculated by miles driven vs. gallons used. These records have been maintained from mile 1, day 1.

For comparison, My 2005 Prius, also purchased new (4/'05), averaged better than 46.5 MGP (or close to new EPA standards) for the 32 K miles driven. On a very similar road trip as mentioned above, the 2005 Prius averaged 48.5 MPG.

Toyota has run a computer scan (twice) and says nothing is wrong, and there is nothing they can or will do to improve the low MPG.

My question to the board: a) am I the only person that has a Prius that for the most part gets less than 40MPG, and b)are there any suggestions on how to get Toyota to fix the problem.

I thank the board for your consideration.

Best

ssnab

8. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

15% less FE (48.5 v 42.3) on the long trip? hmmm... and similar lifetime difference.

All more or less the same, I assume:

tires, tire pressure, oil, oil level, fuel, grill block, ebh use, temperature on the trips, winter slush level, ... what else, cargo load

just trying to brainstorm

maybe a brake pad dragging, any sign of wear?
    alignment
    wheel balance

use of a/c, defrost, other electrical loads

ssnab, any thoughts from above?

Other thoughts, anyone?

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

You've pretty much covered what I would've listed

is your 2006 a Touring model? That could play a role.

10. ssnab

ssnab shelby

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Hello ksstathead and Tideland Prius,

I thank the both of you for your replies.

As for trips in the different cars, just my wife and me, carried about the same amount of luggage. One trip to Wash. D.C (in the '05 Prius) and a trip to Williamsburg, Va. in the '06 Prius. The '05 trip in April/May, the '06 trip in Sept/Oct.. Use of A/C was probably equal.

Gas purchased on both trips would have been the same (Cheap). Tire air pressure the same on both trips. Tire pressure checked prior to any long trip.

Oil changed at reco'd intervals. In fact, changed oil on the road on both cars.

Trip conditions were more severe in the '05. One full day of strong headwind and averaged only 42.5 MPG for 400 miles. Also on another leg, high speeds (80-90 MPH) for approximately 250 miles yielded only 43.2 MPG. Seems everyone driving south from Atlanta, Ga. on I-85 thinks they are a nascar driver. At 90 MPH, I was just staying even. At 80 MPH, I was a danger to traffic for going too slow.

Trip conditions for the '06 were near perfect. No wind, rain, etc.

If not for those two legs of the D.C. trip, we would have averaged better than 50 MPG ('05 Prius).

Most (98%) of the highway miles on both trips were on the Interstate system, with cruse set at 70-71 MPH.

Mileage for both cars was near 20K, when the trips were taken.

The '06 is not a touring model. Has #3 package. Pretty much bare bones, same as '05.

Don't know what ebh is. Sorry

I think the thing that has me upset more than anything, is that Toyota has run two scans, and according to them nothing is wrong with the car.

But they can't explain the 40 MPG and they aren't planning on doing anything about it. It almost seems they have no way of doing anything about it even if they wanted to.

Pardon my rant, but frustranion is turning to anger and I don't like to be angry about anything.

I would like to trade for a new car soon, but I'm afraid of getting another '06 Prius.

Best

ssnab

11. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Having driven a little in every part of the lower 48, I share your assessment (any direction from ATL is amateur NASCARville).

Engine block heater for faster warm-up. You would know if either car had one, so no difference there. Not a factor on long trip anyway.

If you can hook up with a prius user group & find one of the mechanically inclined members, then maybe some hope for the situation. Since its not obvious, some knowledgeable person has to really study it.

No uneven wear on the brakes?

Perhaps someone else here has more ideas...

12. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

That's actually really good milage for those speeds. :)

Remember that the old EPA estimates (up to 2007) were based on 1970s driving style complete with gradual acceleration and 55mph speed limits. The 2008 estimates are much more realistic -- and note that the Prius went from 60/51/55 to 48/45/46:

Compare Old and New MPG Estimates

My 2005 got 51mpg at 65mph on my old 25-mile commute in SoCal. I get between 48 and 54mpg in mixed city driving here in Albuquerque (big dependence on temperature, obviously). But just yesterday, I drove down from Denver at 80mph into a headwind ... and didn't break 40mpg. (Amazing to see the bars go back up when I had to slow down through urban areas!)

So I don't think there's anything wrong with your car. If you don't have the option of going slower, then you'll just have to live with the lower mpg.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

You said 48mpg on the 05 on that same trip yet you said 42-43mpg in this reply (which is closer to what you experienced in the 06 but in perfect conditions?).

Do you know what the Prius owner did? I mean the 05 seemed to be the car you bought new right?

Could be the tyre brand or the state they're in (how worn they are). The 06 models could've had some undocumented update we don't know about. (There have been several "I traded my old Prius for a new one and it isn't getting the same mileage"). I know it's frustrating cause you know your techniques work cause it worked on the old Prius, why isn't the new one doing the same.

14. ssnab

ssnab shelby

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

Hello Tideland Prius, ksstathead, and tkil,

Again, thanks to all,

I apologize for having confused some, hopefully this will help unconfuse.

Tideland Prius: "You said 48mpg on the 05 on that same trip yet you said 42-43mpg in this reply (which is closer to what you experienced in the 06 but in perfect conditions?).

Do you know what the Prius owner did? I mean the 05 seemed to be the car you bought new right?
    "

and tkil: "So I don't think there's anything wrong with your car. If you don't have the option of going slower, then you'll just have to live with the lower mpg. "

a). actually I purchased both of the cars new, from the same dealership.

b). In the '05 Prius we went to DC and averaged 48.5 MPG, inspite of two legs being 42 (wind) and 43 (high speed) MPG. All other fill-ups were 50 to 53 MPG.

c). In the '06 we went to Williamsburg and with near perfect driving conditions only averaged 42 MPG.

ksstathead: "No uneven wear on the brakes"

d). I ran a road test on the brakes for both cars, no difference. That was one of the first things I thought of as possible problems.

To change the subject, how do you put quotes into a reply. Mine are not as yours, but maybe you know what I'm trying to do.

Best to all

Shelby

15. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Click 'quote' button at lower right corner of the message you want to quote. That invokes the reply editor with the message which you can edit down to the part you want.

Notice the brackets around the text you are quoting. You can type those tags manually, too.

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

click the notepad with + sign (next to quote) allows you to do multi-quotes.

Hmm.... well just like your dealer, we don't (or at least I don't) have an answer for you :(.

All I can say is just keep tracking the mileage and see if any changes occur.

17. tkil

tkil New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

Hi there!

Without detailed records from both trips, I'm not sure we can offer much more advice beyond what you've already received. Reviewing the discussion, I have a few last points:

1. You said the '06 averaged 42mpg -- did you notice the distribution per fill?

2. The '05 MFD is known to be rather more "optimistic" than later models; not massively, but 2-3MPG is not unreasonable. (Over 45k miles, my '05 is 1.5mpg optimistic; see last line of this table.)

3. I don't know if I'd equate the two A/C regimes; I've found September to be more brutal than the spring, and Williamsburg is further south than DC.

4. When you say "perfect driving conditions", does that include the lovely 80-90mph segments again?

That last point is important; I don't feel you can use this as a fair comparison, given the different routes, weather conditions, and times of year.

If you can find a local, predictable section of road, do some tests, and show that the '06 is reliably below expected performance, then you might have a case. The current set of data -- as frustrating as it is -- doesn't really hold up. :(

Good luck.

18. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

HI people,

well, i'm clearly past my FIRST half-tank full. I have driven 175 miles, and the gauge indicates that it's half full.....(optimist here!)

My energy guage says that i'm constantly getting anywhere between 42-45 mpg.

Is this right? at half a tank, how many gallons are left??

I clearly bought this car for gas, and the temp here in sunny so-cal has been in the 70-80's. I'm NOT gunning the car, matter of fact, i'm driving it like a grandma! (that i'm NOT happy about)

cheers! thanks for the help again:(

19. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Did you read the article in the first post of this thread...if you had you'd know that driving like a grandma is not a good idea.
    Also, you're very close to the EPA est. MPG...but at half way through your first tank the numbers are meaningless....which is also covered in the article.

Keep driving, come back at around 3000 miles, carefully track your mpg, follow some of the recommendations in the article and I think you'll be pleased with your mpg.

20. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

thanks efusco, your article is very easy to understand.....i realized that i've been driving my prius just like a gas car, not smart.

I would like to understand the pulse and glide/warp speed concept a little more, i have read wayne's article but i dont comprehend it clearly. i need more of a "do this, then do that" explanation.....but to make this very specific, i am not insulting wayne here, i just dont get the specifics.

since i have driven the 170+ miles, i'm gonna do it the old fashioned way, i'm gonna just fill up the tank and figure out the mpg (the tank was filled when i purchased the car), and i'll post it here. i figure it's somewhat important because there are some people going to the prius for the FIRST time, just like myself from a gas guzzler.....this is my real world conditions here in southern california.

cheers!:flame: