1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Don't I Get The EPA Mileage?

Discussion in 'Knowledge Base Articles Discussion' started by Tideland Prius, Sep 5, 2007.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Why Don't I Get The EPA Mileage?

Nah, don't fill it up...just drive out the tank. You'll find that the MFD MPG on a tank by tank basis is much more accurate than any single fill up. While over the course of a lifetime your calculated averages may be better overall the difference will be less than 2%.

Also, don't worry about Pulse and glide...just become familiar with the car. Learn to anticipate it's behavior. Read the 5 stages of hybrid operation article (should be here in the knowledge base somewhere)...it'll give you a bit more insight into how the car will behave at different times.

Seriously, you're worrying way too much way too early into your life with the car. Just drive it for now, get a feel for it. This spring/summer after you've got a couple thousand miles and really start itching for 50-60-70mpg tanks and you know how to feather into a glide and such come on back and we can hand-hold you through P&G and the finer details of hypermiling.

2. wheck5

wheck5 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Last week I took delivery on my 2008 Magnetic Grey Metallic Prius and so far I think it is a great car. It may be a little too early to tell but I don't regret the down sizing from my 2002 Lexus. I am looking for hints/tips for breaking in my new Prius. This forum and articles like the above are very helpful !!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions and/or advice anyone might have.

Bill

3. LEILANI

LEILANI Going Green with Barcelona Red

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Efusco and Tideland (and Barb from Chicago!),

Your info has GREATLY helped me! I have been considering my driving techniques each day wondering what I am doing incorrectly, and think I can finally see the light:behindsofa:. It isn't all me! My winter temps in MN are similar to Barb's in Chicago; the info on engine block heater for next year will be VERY helpful, and the information regarding premium gas not needed, and my 3 mile commute not being the perfect mileage predictor are ALL great news to me. You people are good to have around. THANKS!

4. safarigrl

safarigrl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

Thanks for the article. WEALTH of info. Just got mine Saturday and the dealer wasn't feeling the need to spend that much time coaching me on the tips. "Hey...if you don't want it...I'll sell that thing in 5 minutes for $2500 over invoice" :cool: Ahhh, the love you receive when the product is in SUCH high demand.

5. driverx

driverx New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

I have a similar problem. I used to have 04 prius with avg 48mpg. With my 06, I barely get 40mpg. It seems like my MPG is getting worse.

I think my 06 MFD gives pessimistic mpg compare to 04???? Do you think perhaps, my battery is going bad?:(

6. kazots

kazots LifesaBeach

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I didn't realize the temp factor. It was a very interesting article.

7. gry

gry New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

We just brought home our 2009 and I wish we read this site more...

18th post:
    This is my wife's daily commute with our kid.

8. moosedude

moosedude New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

I am a Newbie Prius owner. I got the Spectra Blue 2008 Package 2. What are the EV-15 and EV-30?

9. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

They refer to after-market modifications of the Prius which increase the size of the battery, thereby increasing Electric Vehicle (EV) range.

Tom

10. Ed Morgan

Ed Morgan New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    To ssnab. Could the use of different fuels be the difference in your MPG's?
    For example, could you have been using 100% gas with the 2005 and 10&
    ethanol with the 2006. Just a thought. I know that with my former car, not
    a Prius, it made a difference.

11. dalv086

dalv086 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Hello guys. I have a Prius 2009 - 1 year old and I'm very disappointing about this car - I bought this car like new. Now I see here many of you get good fuel economy 46 -50 MPG -6.14l/100Km. What I get my self was the best 7l/100Km driving gently , gently and even with the heating AC switched OFF. This was for 180 Km with 13,.. l petrol - I did drive around the city. With the heating on AC ON I got even 8 - 8.5 l/100 km. So I really is like I don't bealive, how you can get 6 l/100km?!:confused:

12. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    dalv086, sorry about your results so far. Many things could be derailing your efficiency. I will list a few, and you can start eliminating them as you describe your driving in more detail:

Tire pressure -door placard pressure is an absolute minimum, many run closer to maximum on tire sidewall or above.

Driving style/patterns -short trips are a killer, frequent use of EV button, etc.

Mechanical problem with the car -parking brake dragging, alignment, oil overfill or wrong viscosity, etc.

Heavily loaded, terrain, ...

13. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Avoid using the battery. It sounds counterintuitive but unless your city is hilly and you can recharge for "free" via regenerative braking, your engine is going to be the one that's charging the battery so it's best to use the engine to power the car.

Second, check your tyre pressure. You can lose 10% of fuel economy by having underinflated tyres.

Third, check the oil level. It may be overfilled.

Fourth, learn the pulse & glide method.

Fifth, remember what season it is. You're not going to get 4.7L/100km (50mpg) if it's -20°C outside.

Sixth, read the PDF on the first page of this thread.

14. Pdub

Pdub Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I had the 75k maintenance done last week at the dealer and noticed a small (~.3mpg) decrease in mpg. Could the alignment they did have caused this? Or do you mean being in need of an alignment is a problem?

15. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

rear wipers are for suckers

LMAO Mine was wiperless too

16. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

50MPG (US gallons) is 4.7l/100km (you probably used British gallon in your computation).

Otherwise - this is weird. I cannot imagine how on Earth do you manage to get such a bad mileage. I think there is definitely something wrong with the car - 8l/100km :eek:? That's ridiculous! Come on, this is a Prius. I regularly get 4.2-4.3 l/100km when I try hard. I got considerably less than 6l/100km even when I was driving like a mad man!

I would recommend you to visit a dealer or, even better, an experienced Prius owner and have your car checked. A test drive of your car by an experienced Prius driver would be helpful.

17. tabanjo

tabanjo Banjo Man

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    One
    Mileage

Hmmm. I've had my '07 for 4 months. As long as I

keep it under 70
    pay attention to slow acceleration and
    take my time decelerating I get at least 50 mpg.

If I'm in a rush it quickly goes closer to 40 mpg.

18. gusti09

gusti09 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This happened to me also.

19. Disc Golfer

Disc Golfer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a new prius owner, traded in my 08 tundra for an 09 prius. had it 3 weeks now and am averaging about 42 mpg, loving it so far, still learning about though, wanna get better milage.

Could someone tell me what the Pulse & Glide method is?

Thanks

20. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Make a new thread and answer these questions: http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...-answer-these-questions-esp-if-youre-new.html

Then we can help.

Pulse and glide is accelerating agressively to above speed, then coasting with no bars (no regen drag, no acceleration even battery) to below speed, then repeating. To get this neutral state you either have to put it in neutral, or take your foot off the gas pedal completely then reapply gently with your big toe just enough that you no longer feel the regen drag there to simulate automatic transmission drag.