1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why driving a Prius is really not enough

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Rae Vynn, Jul 18, 2007.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SeniorDad @ Sep 2 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]506050[/snapback]</div>
    That is the problem with statistics as you well know. ;)

I would like to know what you educational background is. I see this type of rebuttal so often yet it is made by people who hav very little knowledge o chemistry, biology, and environmental science. Not lumping you into this category yet but when I see someone who does not fear environmental degradation it makes me a bit suspicious. Have you ever heard of the Millenium Ecosystem Assessment?

Your ability to be rational is quesitonable if you put your faith in religion or god, something that has no shred of evidence to back it's monumental claims. This tells me you have no respect for quantifiable evidence and thus cannot completely grasp the importance of environmental issues. :( Unless you happen to be one of those who can partition their mind in such a way so as to be rational and irrational at the same time.

2. SeniorDad

SeniorDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

3. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

4. SeniorDad

SeniorDad Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(F8L @ Sep 3 2007, 09:30 AM) [snapback]506273[/snapback]</div>
    Please accept my sincere apology for speaking to you in such a manner.

--30--

5. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SeniorDad @ Sep 3 2007, 03:26 PM) [snapback]506408[/snapback]</div>
    :eek:

What happened to the repartee?

6. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SeniorDad @ Sep 3 2007, 01:26 PM) [snapback]506408[/snapback]</div>
    Unless I missed an edited reply I do not see anything that requires and apology. If my dialog prompted a rude retaliatory remark than I apologize. I am not looking to belittle what education you possess but I do want to know what it is in and how much you have studied these topics beyond schooling. My reason is that I often get into discussions with my law school or liberal arts friends and they will argue vehemently on an environmental subject without any training or real education in biology, chemistry, or associated subjects. Are they allowed to argue? Sure but it is hard to take them seriously with so little background for understanding the subject material. I would never dream of trying to argue tax laws with them yet they have no problem telling me how they know the worlds ecosystems are doing perfectly fine and that technology can fix it all if there is a problem. lol

Sorry if I ticked you off. That was not my intent.

7. MaxLegroom

MaxLegroom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Derail @ Aug 29 2007, 01:10 PM) [snapback]503829[/snapback]</div>
    I recall this as the conclusion of a NY Times article called "An Unhappy Meal", if I recall correctly. It was a good article, with an interesting history on modern nutrition. Perhaps some of us should chill and read this, perhaps while listening to the Digitally Imported chill station I'm listening to right now.

The arguments I've read here almost make my head hurt... :blink:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Sep 2 2007, 10:40 PM) [snapback]506119[/snapback]</div>

8. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I know it's been mentioned that animal consumption can result in the heavy destruction of rainforests as they're clearcut to make way for grazing animals. I thought some may be interested to know that there are also more indirect causes for destruction that result in the clearcutting of rainforests for our animal consumption.

I just read that soy is another concern for clearcutting of rainforests. Evidently most of the soy that's grown in these prior rainforests are grown for the purpose of animal feed. If one wants to be sure that they're not contributing to rainforest destruction from eating tofu, they should look for tofu products that are made with beans that are grown in the United States.

9. awakened

awakened New Member

If any of you have doubts about the positive environmental impacts of choosing a vegetarian diet, I would highly recommend reading "Diet for a small planet". Even choosing to eat vegetarian a few times per week can have a significant positive impact.

I choose vegetarianism because I'm Buddhist and it's a great way to cultivate compassion; I do understand we all must cause some harm to survive, but I think the focus really should be minimization of our negative impact--to walk lightly on the Earth.

10. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not realize vegetarianism was a Buddhist practice. My whole family (both sides) are Buddhist but eat meat (especially sashimi). I was the only odd ball in the family that converted to the wife's religion. :p

I think our diets would be significantly different if we had to kill and butcher our own food. I will clean seafood and have killed and cleaned chicken (once for a military survival course) but do not have the heart to kill cows, deer, rabbits, etc. Maybe if I was really really really starving. :p

11. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not realize vegetarianism was a Buddhist practice. My whole family (both sides) are Buddhist but eat meat (especially sashimi). I was the only odd ball in the family that converted to the wife's religion. :p

I think our diets would be significantly different if we had to kill and butcher our own food. I will clean seafood and have killed and cleaned chicken (once for a military survival course) but do not have the heart to kill cows, deer, rabbits, etc. Maybe if I was really really really starving. :p

12. awakened

awakened New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Sep 11 2007, 06:27 PM) [snapback]510949[/snapback]</div>
    Vegetarianism isn't a requirement to be Buddhist. It is however practiced by many Buddhists, especially of the Theravada (most conservative) tradition/school. The practice of vegetarianism is held to be a way to commune with the precept of harmlessness. Some Buddhists avoid meat every day, while others do it once a week. It is because of the Theravada school that most of the faux meat dishes were created. Vietnam has a high popluation of Theravada Buddhists and has been a great source of fun, albeit faux, veggie alternative foods.

The Buddha once said "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense".

13. awakened

awakened New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Sep 11 2007, 06:27 PM) [snapback]510949[/snapback]</div>
    Vegetarianism isn't a requirement to be Buddhist. It is however practiced by many Buddhists, especially of the Theravada (most conservative) tradition/school. The practice of vegetarianism is held to be a way to commune with the precept of harmlessness. Some Buddhists avoid meat every day, while others do it once a week. It is because of the Theravada school that most of the faux meat dishes were created. Vietnam has a high popluation of Theravada Buddhists and has been a great source of fun, albeit faux, veggie alternative foods.

The Buddha once said "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense".

14. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(awakened @ Sep 11 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]510974[/snapback]</div>
    That's it, I'm opening a "Broon" (New Castle Brown Ale) to toast the Buddah! Why the hell can't every bloody religion state that!?! :blink: :blink: The world would be a vastly different (and certainly better place).

BTW, rae vynn, you've created a monster here. :D This has gotta be the longest thread in the history of the enviro forum (at least in my 2 years here).

15. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(awakened @ Sep 11 2007, 08:11 PM) [snapback]510974[/snapback]</div>
    That's it, I'm opening a "Broon" (New Castle Brown Ale) to toast the Buddah! Why the hell can't every bloody religion state that!?! :blink: :blink: The world would be a vastly different (and certainly better place).

BTW, rae vynn, you've created a monster here. :D This has gotta be the longest thread in the history of the enviro forum (at least in my 2 years here).

16. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Sep 11 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]511012[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you, Tripp.
    Yes, it has grown!
    And, I agree about the Buddhist statement... common sense, our own heart as our guide, and concern for every living thing should be our religion... :D

Oh, and is Broon good? :rolleyes:

17. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Sep 11 2007, 07:43 PM) [snapback]511012[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you, Tripp.
    Yes, it has grown!
    And, I agree about the Buddhist statement... common sense, our own heart as our guide, and concern for every living thing should be our religion... :D

Oh, and is Broon good? :rolleyes:

18. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Sep 11 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]511016[/snapback]</div>
    Whey aye, man! Wivoot tha Broon, life hez no meanin'. ;)

19. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Sep 11 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]511016[/snapback]</div>
    Whey aye, man! Wivoot tha Broon, life hez no meanin'. ;)

20. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Associated Press has grabbed this story:
    Eating less meat may slow climate change
    Associated Press

LONDON - Eating less meat could help slow global warming by reducing the number of livestock and thereby decreasing the amount of methane flatulence from the animals, scientists said on Thursday.

In a special energy and health series of the medical journal The Lancet, experts said people should eat fewer steaks and hamburgers. Reducing global red meat consumption by 10 percent, they said, would cut the gases emitted by cows, sheep and goats that contribute to global warming.

"We are at a significant tipping point," said Geri Brewster, a nutritionist at Northern Westchester Hospital in New York, who was not connected to the study.

"If people knew that they were threatening the environment by eating more meat, they might think twice before ordering a burger," Brewster said.

Other ways of reducing greenhouse gases from farming practices, like feeding animals higher-quality grains, would only have a limited impact on cutting emissions. Gases from animals destined for dinner plates account for nearly a quarter of all emissions worldwide.

"That leaves reducing demand for meat as the only real option," said Dr. John Powles, a public health expert at Cambridge University, one of the study's authors.

The amount of meat eaten varies considerably worldwide. In developed countries, people typically eat about 224 grams per day. But in Africa, most people only get about 31 grams a day.

With demand for meat increasing worldwide, experts worry that this increased livestock production will mean more gases like methane and nitrous oxide heating up the atmosphere. In China, for instance, people are eating double the amount of meat they used to a decade ago.

Powles said that if the global average were 90 grams per day, that would prevent the levels of gases from speeding up climate change.

Eating less red meat would also improve health in general. Powles and his co-authors estimate that reducing meat consumption would reduce the numbers of people with heart disease and cancer. One study has estimated that the risk of colorectal cancer drops by about a third for every 100 grams of red meat that is cut out of your diet.

"As a society, we are overconsuming protein," Brewster said. "If we ate less red meat, it would also help stop the obesity epidemic."

Experts said that it would probably take decades to wane the public off of its meat-eating tendency. "We need to better understand the implications of our diet," said Dr. Maria Neira, director of director of the World Health Organization's department of public health and the environment.

"It is an interesting theory that needs to be further examined," she said. "But eating less meat could definitely be one way to reduce gas emissions and climate change."