1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why driving a Prius is really not enough

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Rae Vynn, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Associated Press has grabbed this story:
    Eating less meat may slow climate change
    Associated Press

LONDON - Eating less meat could help slow global warming by reducing the number of livestock and thereby decreasing the amount of methane flatulence from the animals, scientists said on Thursday.

In a special energy and health series of the medical journal The Lancet, experts said people should eat fewer steaks and hamburgers. Reducing global red meat consumption by 10 percent, they said, would cut the gases emitted by cows, sheep and goats that contribute to global warming.

"We are at a significant tipping point," said Geri Brewster, a nutritionist at Northern Westchester Hospital in New York, who was not connected to the study.

"If people knew that they were threatening the environment by eating more meat, they might think twice before ordering a burger," Brewster said.

Other ways of reducing greenhouse gases from farming practices, like feeding animals higher-quality grains, would only have a limited impact on cutting emissions. Gases from animals destined for dinner plates account for nearly a quarter of all emissions worldwide.

"That leaves reducing demand for meat as the only real option," said Dr. John Powles, a public health expert at Cambridge University, one of the study's authors.

The amount of meat eaten varies considerably worldwide. In developed countries, people typically eat about 224 grams per day. But in Africa, most people only get about 31 grams a day.

With demand for meat increasing worldwide, experts worry that this increased livestock production will mean more gases like methane and nitrous oxide heating up the atmosphere. In China, for instance, people are eating double the amount of meat they used to a decade ago.

Powles said that if the global average were 90 grams per day, that would prevent the levels of gases from speeding up climate change.

Eating less red meat would also improve health in general. Powles and his co-authors estimate that reducing meat consumption would reduce the numbers of people with heart disease and cancer. One study has estimated that the risk of colorectal cancer drops by about a third for every 100 grams of red meat that is cut out of your diet.

"As a society, we are overconsuming protein," Brewster said. "If we ate less red meat, it would also help stop the obesity epidemic."

Experts said that it would probably take decades to wane the public off of its meat-eating tendency. "We need to better understand the implications of our diet," said Dr. Maria Neira, director of director of the World Health Organization's department of public health and the environment.

"It is an interesting theory that needs to be further examined," she said. "But eating less meat could definitely be one way to reduce gas emissions and climate change."

2. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Stirring the pot:

"A low-fat vegetarian diet is very efficient in terms of how much land is needed to support it. But adding some dairy products and a limited amount of meat may actually increase this efficiency, Cornell researchers suggest."

http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/Oct07/...otprint.sl.html

3. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow, it's been simmering a long time! :)

4. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Oct 10 2007, 07:55 PM) [snapback]523947[/snapback]</div>
    Key word being limited. I'm all for it. Love dairy products. Did they say what kinda meat? Not the other, other white meat I hope. :eek: ;) As we've seen from this very thread, the kind of meat has a big impact on the efficiency of said diet.

5. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tochatihu @ Oct 10 2007, 06:55 PM) [snapback]523947[/snapback]</div>
    I'm sure the animals aren't thrilled to be eaten.
    Seriously, I'm lactose/dairy intolerant, and I don't eat dead things.
    but, hey, if someone cuts back their animal products, it's nice to see that they can really help the environment :)

6. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Oct 10 2007, 11:29 PM) [snapback]524052[/snapback]</div>
    Baby steps.... Baby steps. I've made a conscious effort to cut back on beef and I've been pretty successful. It ain't perfect, but it's better.

7. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Oct 11 2007, 12:32 AM) [snapback]524053[/snapback]</div>
    That's great that you're making a such a sacrifice for the environment. I haven't been eating meat for as long as I can remember, but you're actions are a whole lot more meaningful than mine as it's no trouble for me and it's never been a "sacrifice". I can't stomach the thought of ingesting meat and don't miss it a dot. Hope you're not going through too much agony without your beef!

Do you feel any differently?

8. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Oct 11 2007, 10:38 AM) [snapback]524135[/snapback]</div>
    I wouldn't call it a sacrifice. It's a minor thing, really.

Feel the same. My arthritis has been pissing me off lately, but otherwise a feel pretty good. I've been systematically trying to improve my shitty diet. More veggies, less badness. I've mostly cut fries out, I rarely eat them anymore. Sugar is the hard part. I've reduced the amount of soda I drink (no diet, just "regular"). That's really going to be the tough one. I no longer keep it around at work, I drink tea instead (1 cube of sugar per cup). We don't buy junk food, it's the easiest way to avoid that stuff. No soda at home either. We drink loads on 1% milk (from a local diary, it's mint!) I'm slowly moving in the right direction.

Baby steps.....

9. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tripp @ Oct 11 2007, 01:03 PM) [snapback]524221[/snapback]</div>
    Check this link out: http://notmilk.com/arthritiscure.html

you might try something a little different :D

10. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Tripp, judging by what people have told me, taste buds will change over time and acclimate to these new healthy foods. I can't tell you how many times I think something is delicious and others nearly gag. Soon you'll probably not consider it baby steps. It would be nice if your body would fall in line and give you some type of positive reinforcement. :angry:

11. tripp

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Oct 11 2007, 04:51 PM) [snapback]524272[/snapback]</div>
    Cor luv a duck! That's interesting. I do take fish oil (oh how I hate it) and I think it helps somewhat. It's hard to know as I've got no quantifiable means of measuring the (perceived?) improvement. None the less, it's good for me whether it helps the RA or not.

I'll have to give it a go. Better eat a stick of butter to steele myself against the tough times ahead. :D

It's a right b*stard it is. :lol: Though, I suppose it has done a few nice things for me.

They also change over time and acclimate to delicious beer! :p

12. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'll begin by saying that since i didn't see this thread when it began (I seldom look in this forum -- strictly a question of time: I cannot read all of PC) I read the first page and skipped to the end.

What I wish to comment on is how so many people who boast of the positive environmental impact of driving a Prius, reacted to a long and thoughtful article on the impact of modern industrial meat production with a knee-jerk defense of their "right" to eat meat (just like the Hummer drivers who insist on their "right" to drive a 6-mpg Hummer) and how "natural" meat-eating is.

Are these folks aware of how meat production has changed in the past few decades? Are they aware of the impact on their health of eating ten or twenty times as much meat as their parents or grandparents ate?

The article pointed out that if you eat the U.S. average meat consumption, your negative environmental impact is greater than if you drive a gas-guzzler. Yet the same people who berate the drivers of gas-guzzlers go ballistic when told of the environmental impact of their meat-eating, and the modern meat industry, which is light-years away from the "natural" diet of our ancestors even a century ago.

Dredging the oceans of fish, in order to feed an unnatural and unhealthy diet to cows, chickens, and pigs, to satisfy the demand of people determined to eliminate all vegetables from their diet. A thousand gallons of water to produce a pound of chemical-laden factory beef, in a world where fresh water is being depleted to the point where in the lifetime of some people here, we'll be fighting wars over water instead of oil.

Open your eyes folks. Yes, you have the political right in these United States to eat meat. But be aware that your environmental footprint, driving your Prius and eating meat, is many times more damaging, than the environmental footprint of your parents or grandparents, who drove the gas-guzzlers of the 1950's and ate 1/10 as much meat as you do (and even at that level were eating more meat than they needed to get those few nutrients that are hard to come by in a vegan diet).

13. bhaynnes

bhaynnes Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rae Vynn @ Oct 11 2007, 03:51 PM) [snapback]524272[/snapback]</div>
    But Rae, I'm almost certain that I cannot live without the occasional ice cream cone. :unsure:

14. Rae Vynn

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bhaynnes @ Oct 17 2007, 09:49 AM) [snapback]526924[/snapback]</div>
    Soy Delicious.
    Tofutti.

Seriously, there are incredibly DECADENT options out there that taste better than "ice cream" ever could!

check out the freezer section of any larger supermarket, there should be non-dairy treats, right next to the premium treats...

And, hey, Hersey's chocolate syrup? it's vegan ;)