1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

why estimate mpgs?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by jamarimutt, May 4, 2004.

1. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i just got gas last night so i checked the inspection sticker at the Arco on Martin Way and Sleater-Kinney (hdrygas probably knows the place) in Lacey and they were last inspected in May of 2000!!

yep, i think i will believe the car over the gas pump any day. after last night the difference is now .4 mpg. and the computer is higher but not consistantly so and im sure its due to the bladder not refilling consistantly.

but i am averaging 3.89 cents per mile and my lowest overall mpg estimate (after all, it is still an estimate no matter what method you use) is 52.92 mpg. (under the "old" method)

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

you should be smiling, mine is in USD
    8.21 cents per mile
    hers is
    8.09 cents per mile
    I guess you like our cheap gas. Ya right. The reason for the difference is we tend to fill hers when there is a gas war and mine is primarily a commuter car so don't often have that luxury.

3. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i be smiling yes... but the smile is a recent thing...

my ford pickup was costing me about 13-14 cents a mile.

4. Ray Moore

Ray Moore Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I've been pulling down 3.2 cents per mile for some time now. Of course gas is just a small part of the cost equation but it is kind of neat when the cost of gas is almost free.

5. Frank Hudon

it's interesting how we pay almost as much in tax per gallon as you pay per gallon.

6. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yes it is very interesting, especially considering that your country is our #1 importer of oil...

7. Frank Hudon

I thought I read that the Saudi's were you #1 source for crude and we were #2 I might be wrong. But there sure is a difference in the tax rates. Federal excise tax, Provincial tax, Goods and Service tax, Provincial sales tax, and a local transit authority tax. I probably missed a couple more though. Just a quick calc. $2.28 USD a US gallon here.

8. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You are correct, we are number two. But we still need to import tons.

9. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    you are wrong

as of Oct 2003
    % of oil used in US

1. Canada 17%
    2. Mexico 13.7%
    3. Venezuala 11.9%
    4. Saudi Arabia 11%

Alaska is the US' #1 source for oil. the reason for this stat is simple logistics. Saudia Arabia is too far away to be a viable source to most of the US. so you see Canada is #2 but the #1 importer.

now saying this, Saudi Arabia does account for nearly 40 % of the oil used on the east coast.

10. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry, I misread his statment. I thought he was talking about worldwide supply. The US has the highest production after Saudi Arabia, thanks to places like Alaska, Texas, and the parts of the Gulf of Mexico that we choose to drill in.

11. tms13

tms13 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Business Ed. Plus
    Just got my best tank yet, and in US units it's still $0.10 per mile (long-term average about $0.12). Of which, about 7½ cents is tax.

For comparison purposes, my last fill was £0.799/litre - approx $5.56/USgal - and that's by far the cheapest I've seen between Cambridge and Newcastle.

12. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a heck of a lot in taxes...do you know if gas taxes are used for specific purposes, or if they simply go into the general fund, or what?

13. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    yes they are used for specific purposes... namely to finance Bush's military exploits.

as far as world production goes, Canada, Great Britain both outdo the US. also many think that Russia has the potential to out do everyone. only problem is is they are even more isolated than the Prudhoe Bay fields are.

Great Britain is said to have the highest quality of oil, Saudi Arabia the worst. that is another reason why Saudi Arabia doesnt import more oil to the US. they are selling most of their oil to china and other places that either dont care or have nonexistent environmental policies.

there is a pdf going around the internet that details how the price of oil is set. very interesting read. if i can remember the title, you should be able to google it by that. havent had much time to look and i dont remember the title either. but im working on it.

14. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was asking specific in regards to the higher taxes over in Europe, hehe.

In know those here at home are billed as being for roads and such, but since nobody wants to have new taxes on already-more-expensive gas, toll roads are becoming more and more popular in the minds of many a politician.

15. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    Bet hes got all the birthdays of everyone he know in the Prius Calendar as well :D Anyone actually use this feature?

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well of course we use the calendar!!

that is where all the public meetings are announced!!

17. Frank Hudon

in Canada the federal portion of the tax is just dumped into general revenue fund. There is a big push on to get the feds to spend it on transportation infrastructure. Like there still is no complete 4 lane hiway across the country. Many miles here in BC are still 2 lane roads, with the resulting carnage.

18. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know some people from Canada who just swing south through the US, so yeah, I'd say Canada might need some infrastructure improvements. But Canada does have far fewer people for all those miles of land, so I'd bet it would be a bit tricky.

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    considering that i live in WA State i can say for sure that many canadians traveling across country drop down to the US and travel across.

I-90 is a favorite way to go. and although for most destinations, it can be as much as an extra 400-500 miles, in the winter, its still faster.