1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why extra premium for Blizzard White?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nanoxnano, Apr 21, 2015.

1. nanoxnano

nanoxnano Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    i noticed there's a $400 charge just for the white paint. Why is that? Is there something in the white that makes it last extra longer?

2. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    It is the quality and finish of the paint.
    In my opinion, well worth it.

matt b. likes this.
  3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's a pearlized color, conceivably extra steps in the creation of it.

But I personally think Toyota should offer the colors they offer and the pallet should be the pallet and forget the "premium" for "special" colors.

It has metalic flakes in it..but IMO it's not so special as to warrant an up charge. If I'm going to pay extra for a color, I want something really unique and different...not just "sparkly white".

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just about the only option (IMHO) that's worth it.

Hides scratches, dirt, etc....and when it's clean it's orders of magnitude deeper and more brilliant (IMHO) than flat non-pearlescent paint.
    Pearlescent coating - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Grey (some call it silver) is almost as good at hiding dirt and dings, but if you drive to work in the morning, you can have visibility problems - meaning others seeing YOU visibility problems.
    After a few years, you kinda get that 'battleship grey' thing going and the only reason it's good at hiding dirt is that nobody notices the car either.
    I don't actually mind that, since I don't WANT (my car) to be noticed. ;)
    My 2010 has the usual battle scars for a 5-year-old company car, but the white still looks pretty good.
    After 5 years, regular paint looks like.......5 year old paint.

YMMV.

If you're going to get a "C-type" there are some pretty vibrant colors to choose from. With the adult-sized Prius, you have fewer choices.
    If you're only going to keep the car for about 4 years?

You can pretty much get any color you want.

#4 ETC(SS), Apr 21, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The "regular" paint is two-coat. The Blizzard Pearl is three-coat.

matt b. likes this.
  6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but my Sea Glass Pearl is ALSO pearlized, and Toyota doesn't charge extra for it.
    Probably because it simply isn't as popular.

The Blizzard Pearl White IS popular so I think Toyota knows they can stick it to those that want it.

I'm not saying it's not a good color, I am saying I don't think Toyota should up charge for it.

Toyota's Standard Prius color pallet choices are pretty limited. I just don't find "sparkly white" to be something I would consider special enough to warrant an up charge.

So I guess the answer to "Why Extra Premium For Blizzard White?"

There's an extra step in the paint process...and Toyota knows those that want it...will pay for it.

7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When we bought in 2010, that colour was "only" an extra $200 or $250 Canadian. Sounds like they're milking it a bit. Tell them you'll check with other dealerships and I bet that number comes down. Worth a try.

8. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    It's one extra painting step. I know some other colours are too, but they have always charged extra for that colour on most cars I've looked at, and they have always stated it's because it's one extra painting step.
    I know when Pearl S gets the new rear bumper cover next week it was listed as a three step paint on the estimate. And it's not the "pearlescent white" (one of the many names used for it).

Maybe it's "tradition". ;)

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Knowing dealerships, they keep ratcheting up the AMOUNT of the extra charge.

10. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Merkey and Mendel Leisk like this.
  11. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    The extra charge isn't because it's metallic (I have a Sandy Beach Metallic 2010), but due to the extra (third) pearlescent coat.

12. DoubleDAZ

DoubleDAZ Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    AFAIK, $395 is still the price on Toyota's website, so I don't think it's the dealership raising the amount. ;) The only price that really matters though is what they want to charge you out-the-door for the car. If they want to charge you $400 more than the "same" car in a different color, then you have to decide if it's worth the upcharge. I wanted Blizzard Pearl from the moment I first saw the color. When we went to buy, there were none available in Arizona, but there was one on the way, so we grabbed it. As you'd expect, white is a popular color out here, not only because of the heat, but because of the constant dust. The BP "looks" cleaner much longer than my blue truck and even longer than my daughter's silver Pilot.