1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Full Self Driving is needed

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jan 30, 2022.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I just needed to know how to replicate it. I normally drive at the 25 mph neighborhood speed limit with a little pad. Slightly faster to avoid being tailgated and slightly slow to avoid tailgating others. It is called 'keeping up with the flow of traffic.'

A former pilot, I used to say the FAA rules and regulations are written in blood. Regardless, there are plenty of bad examples out there.

Bob Wilson

2. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sure.
    However, stopping people from speeding would save 100x as many lives as stopping people from rolling through a stop sign WHEN NO PEOPLE OR CARS ARE DETECTED NEARBY.

Mike

3. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    At a speed of 5 mph or less, barely at a walking pace. I was surprised to find Tesla dynamic cruise control continued to run at such low speeds.

The latest beta version paused before downloading to my car. I'm hoping the NHTSA action will accelerate deployment of the next version.

Bob Wilson

#23 bwilson4web, Feb 2, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  4. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Looks like my wish may be granted:

2021.44.30.15 Release Notes
    FSD Beta 10.10

• Smoother fork maneuvers and turn-lane selection using high fidelity trajectory primitives.
    • Disabled rolling-stop functionality in all FSD Profiles. This behavior used to allow the vehicle to roll through all-way-stop intersections, but only when several conditions were met, including: vehicle speed less than 5.6 mph, no relevant objects/pedestrians/bicyclists detected, sufficient visibility and all entering roads at the intersection have speed limits below 30mph.
    • Improved generalized static object network by 4% using improved ground truth trajectories.
    • Improved smoothness when stopping for crossing objects at intersections by modeling soft and hard constraints to better represent urgency of the slowdown.
    • Enabled lane changing into an oncoming lane to maneuver around static obstacles, when safe to do so.
    • Improved smoothness for merge handling by enforcing more consistency with previous cycle's speed control decisions.
    • Improved handling of flashing red light traffic controls by adding more caution for events where crossing vehicles may not stop.
    • Improved right of way understanding at intersections with better modeling of intersection extents.
    It must be terribly disheartening to Tesla skeptic when Tesla respond so quickly with improved FSD beta versions.

Bob Wilson

5. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    And why weren't these issues addressed and fixed during internal testing? You beta something that is not going to feature change before general release. But this is out on our highways in tens of thousands of cars. I get the "the more data the better we can change and the next release will be better for it" philosophy, I just question if it is appropriate when lives are at stake.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I don’t care. FSD beta lets us tweak and help tune the product.

Integration and test is where design and code meets reality. It has always been that way. So as an operating system programmer, my diagnostic skill found and correct a lot of problems for which I was well paid and enjoyed.

Bob Wilson

7. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    What's disheartening is that they are using beta testing as a substitute for professional unit AND integration testing.

But even worse is that the programming team got the OK to deliberately break the laws of all 50 states. As I watched the videos that were posted, I saw that the car was changing lanes in the middle of intersections (illegal) and driving for for an extended period along the curb in the parking spaces. Someone, somewhere either screwed up their testing or signed off on those behaviors.

I would not ride in a Tesla. The software is too slipshod, and it appears that their management team is signing off on shoddy work. As a systems analyst + programmer, I would have been fired if I put a product like that in the hands of the public.

8. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Well, that is your opinion and you are entitled to it.
    But we are talking about features that are completely optional to use and even ones that the driver had to explicitly qualify for, ask for and agree to use cautiously.
    Now certainly there will be people to choose to drive recklessly anyway.
    But then people of all makes and models choose to drive recklessly and you are not asking them to stay off the roads, are you.
    We have the technology to monitor them and take them off the roads, right?

You seem overly worried about Tesla cars driving around town at 30 mph.
    Speed kills far more people than Teslas. (Maybe DUI is more?) Are you advocating for zero tolerance? One speeding ticket > 10mph over the limit and you lose your license and impound your car.
    Or what about disallowing fast cars all together. Why do we allow a BMW to go over 100 mph?
    Why do we allow GM to make the Corvette go 184 mph?
    Why are you not complaining and having them recall it and ask how did management sign off on this?

None of this is meant to allow Tesla to do stupid of unsafe stuff...but it ranks pretty low compared to this list
    The Corvette is only #6 on this list
    https://www.hotcars.com/most-dangerous-cars-ever/

Mike

9. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    If you don't think that deliberately coding the FSD logic to perform illegal maneuvers is stupid or unsafe, you have another think coming.

It's amazing that you are aware of all of my opinions and complaints. Sadly, your omniscience is not as complete as you think it is.

If I had the authority, I would probably impose reasonable speed governors, tied to local speed limits, and zero tolerance for people who manage to exceed the limits. DUIs would be one strike and you're out. After all, every drunk driver knows in advance that they will be driving a multi ton machine to get home and chose to drink anyway.

You are far off center if you think that the more dangerous features are only active when you chose them to be. If they can't program the car to avoid parked emergency vehicles, why would you think that they could prevent the code from accidentally triggering the self driving routines?

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Careful what you ask for. The product proof is found by what us professional volunteers discover. Latest reports are over 50,000 of us are 'professional' drivers.
    GOOD! Absent facts and data, you should not ride in a Tesla:

Q4 2021
    In the 4th quarter, we recorded one crash for every 4.31 million miles driven in which drivers were using Autopilot technology (Autosteer and active safety features). For drivers who were not using Autopilot technology (no Autosteer and active safety features), we recorded one crash for every 1.59 million miles driven. By comparison, NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 484,000 miles.

Our Teslas are 4.31 / .484 ~= 8.9 times safer than non-Teslas. Tesla brings safety data:

”In God we trust. All others must bring data.” This quote, made by W. Edwards Deming, refers mainly to the importance of data measurement and analysis when doing business. . . .
    Bob Wilson

#30 bwilson4web, Feb 2, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2022
  11. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    If I don't trust Tesla with anything else, why would I expect them to be truthful about the crash data that they collected?

As a systems programmer, Bob, you should be seeing a big red flag when they threw the lane keeping software into the same bucket of data as the data for the FSD driven cars. Another big flag goes up when they then compared that against the NHTSA's stats concerning accidents for ALL cars, regardless of age, condition or weather.

It's pretty clear that Tesla is playing fast and loose with the stats in the hope that they can make FSD look good.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They ought to be doing that too. It isn't like they can't address more than one unsafe and illegal practice. But that is for a separate thread, so go ahead and start one.
    I notice that you chose to say "detected", not "present". Given Tesla's driver-assist crash history of not detecting barricades, truck trailers, and emergency vehicles stopped along the road, this gives me no comfort. We need to be aware of 'false negatives' and other errors and failures, and use multiple safety layers so that a single failure in one layer doesn't lead to disaster. Applying multiple safety layers is a big part of how commercial aviation achieved its vastly improved safety record. Failure to obey multiple overlapping safety rules is how a movie producer/actor recently failed to "detect" a live round in a prop and ended up killing his camerawoman. Had he followed all, or even any, of the additional standard safety layers, she would have been uninjured.

BTW, the news articles say "no “relevant” moving cars, pedestrians or bicyclists can be detected", which is a lesser standard than the "no[ne] detected" that you asserted. This adds to the concern. Are all detected items that are dismissed as irrelevant, done so correctly?

5 mph, or 5.6 from the news articles and FW release notes, is a jogging pace, almost double the standard walking pace of 3 mph.

Does Tesla properly address sampling bias? E.g. are there any roads or conditions that are unsuitable for AP, and thus require the driver to handle unassisted? (gravel and other roads without any or adequate lane markings, foul weather, etc.)

A proper comparison between AP and unassisted modes would include miles driven only on roads and in conditions suitable for AP. And probably weighted for differing amounts in differing conditions. Unassisted miles and crashes on unsuitable roads must be excluded, otherwise the comparison is not apples-to-apples. Cherry picking. Because driver assists started with the very easiest conditions, and gradually expanded towards tougher conditions, I would not be the least bit surprised if still-unassistable conditions naturally have higher crash rates.

#32 fuzzy1, Feb 2, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Speaking of unsafe, #11 on this list (from the same click-bait site) is relevant to this thread:
    https://www.hotcars.com/ranking-15-of-the-most-dangerous-driving-habits/

(FWIW, I have not problem riding in a Tesla. Just how the driver makes use of the various assist features is an entirely different matter.)

14. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Bring data and we can start with a shared reality. Just I have an FSD beta test article and go by what my 'lying eyes' tell me ... just as I did with my operating system programming skills. I would listen but then dig into what is actually going on.

Facts and data versus opinion, I'll always take facts and data.

Bob Wilson

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Teslas visually based system detects poor weather and obscured cameras and alerts us about reduced FSD and AutoPilot capability. FSD handles gravel, dirt, and no lane markings.

Tesla has two automated driving systems:
    • Autopilot designed for highway and limited access driving since March 2019
      • Saved our family when a temporary medical condition hit.
    • Full Self Driving designed for urban streets and roads in my use since November 2021
      • Seriously entertaining, the "E ticket" ride.
    By handling the vast majority of boring and tiring driving tasks, the driver, me, is rested, aware, and able to respond to developing situations with relatively faster reaction times. For example, objects, potholes, black ice, and critters in the road, So I feel confident and comfortable driving 14 hours, 700 miles, to visit my Mom. The roughly two hour segments with 15-25 minute charging breaks keeps me alert. Thus I arrive without feeling 'beat up' by the trip. Best of all, it is cheaper than gas even in our former Prius.

Let's end with a recent FSD video, "FSD Beta (10.9) takes me to the Hospital":

At age 72, I have a vested interest in this technology which may escape the attention of younger, live-forever drivers.

Bob Wilson

16. 3PriusMike

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I also think is was dumb for them to do this!
    But more from a PR point of view than a safety point of view
    I just don't think it is nearly as dangerous as driving fast, DUI, driving sleepy, etc etc.
    Human drivers regularly roll through stops and accident rates (certainly deaths) is very low by comparison

Driving with FSD requires that you keep your hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
    Drivers had to drive very safely and get accepted into the program etc.
    The cabin camera does watch and make sure you are paying attention
    The car driving down the road is not an autonomous car...it is an autonomous car with a human immediately ready to correct any errors.
    Drivers not doing this are just plain reckless and/or looking for clickbait on Youtube.

Generally the FSD is too timid and conservative and to keep from annoying other drivers ...I have to frequently tap the accelerator (to tell it is OK to go) so I don't block traffic. It is probably going to take a year or two to just get to be usable as Level 2. (which requires hands on wheel and eyes on the road), just not "beta"

Mike

17. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
  18. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    #38 bwilson4web, Feb 3, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    fotomoto likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    We really shouldn't be calling them autonomous at all then. It leads to confusion, and users overestimating what their car can do. These are just driver aids. The help ease the burden of driving, but the operator has to still be paying full attention as when controlling everything.

20. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I don't think you can say that they "fixed that problem" since what they did was to throw out the old navigation engine (using radar and visible light) that was used a couple years ago and built new software based only on a neural net's analysis of captured video.

One of the things I dislike about machine learning is that it is only as good as the rules supplied and the accuracy of the training cases that it tried to learn from. If no one bothers to include people in wheel chairs in the sample dataset for "pedestrians" there is a good chance that a person will be run over at some point. Best case would be that the handicapped would be regarded as an immovable object like a flower pot.