1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Full Self Driving is needed

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by bwilson4web, Jan 30, 2022.

1. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    You should be able to differentiate between your "signature" and your profile.

Your data in https://priuschat.com/account/personal-details is incorrect. for "Vehicle: Required" you list a 2017 Prius Prime. One would assume that if the vehicle model is required, you have an obligation to keep it updated. The board allows you to list your Tesla there. Don't forget to click "save" when you are done.

2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can change the signature easily. The Profile not so much.

Bob Wilson

3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That's a bit of a stretch, to say that it saved your life. After all, there should have been rumble strips alongside the road, and your wife should have relieved you of your task if you were having problems. I don't understand why you kept driving after the first time you nodded off. That's just bad judgment.

I guess I can say that my car has saved my life a few times. Not long ago I made a left turn onto a boulevard without noticing that another car had sped up to catch the light such that he was on my left in my blind spot as we completed the turn. Fortunately, the car sounded the alarm as I started to change lanes. Otherwise I would have ended up bouncing off of him and might have ended up in oncoming traffic.

Then there are all the times that my cross traffic monitoring radar tells me when a car is approaching from either side as I back out of a parking lot. That's been a real life saver in areas where SUVs are the dominant vehicle. Yes, there is nothing as precious as good, reliable hardware and software.

4. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    LOL. You can't make 3 clicks of the mouse, yet you can spend all day typing posts on various forums? Give me a break!

I'll tell you what. Give me your password and I'll change it for you. :)

Or you can just click on https://priuschat.com/account/personal-details and then scroll down till you find the words "Vehicle: Required". There's a drop down box there where you can select your car, just like you did when you signed up on the board. Then scroll down and click on "Save Changes" near the bottom. It's so simple that you should be able to di it in your sleep.

Sincerely,

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It wasn't Tesla that labeled it as "proof", it was you back at post #30.

It doesn't have to be either proof or a lie, with no possible states in between. It can be incomplete data that is suggestive, but not solid enough to be definitive, therefore really meaning an inconclusive outcome. At least for this moment.
    I believe we all know that AP is used more on certain roads than others. In fact it can't be used on certain others.

We also know that certain roads have far higher fatality rates than others, per vehicle mile traveled. And that AP's experience database is not an unbiased sample of America's driving miles. It can't be, because many vehicle miles are on roads that AP simple doesn't handle.

It would seem intuitively reasonable to believe that AP miles are heavily over-weighted with Interstates and other freeways, and under-weighted on rural non-freeways. If this reflects reality, then AP miles would inherently be biased to low-fatality-rate roads where even Teslas without AP engaged also achieve lower fatality rates. Widening the bias even further, these sometimes-AP users would be biasing up the total high-fatality non-AP miles when they have it turned off for non-AP roads, compared to Telsa drivers who always keep AP off even on good freeways. Without accounting and adjusting for this selection bias, we simply can't have definitive proof that AP is safer than not-AP.

I haven't yet found road type fatality rates for the whole U.S. As a proxy until we find better, here is some recent data from one of my neighboring states:

upload_2022-2-4_22-11-34.png

The figures you quote in post #30 show AP being (4.31/1.59) = "2.7 times safer" than non-AP Tesla use. However, this Oregon data shows that Interstates are (1.19/0.33) = "3.6 times safer" than the highway system as a whole, or ("2.12/0.33) = "6.4 times safer" than non-freeways. And even "8 times safer" than minor arterials, or "12 times safer" than rural major collectors. Rolling in the "Other Fwys/Expressways" barely budges those ratios. All that leaves enough theoretical room for AP's "safer" than non-AP to be entirely the result of selection or weighting bias.

I just gave you some of the evidence, facts, and data that you said I didn't have. Now drop the childish insults, and bring back some more data to better illuminate this selection bias and your so-far inconclusive "proof".

#65 fuzzy1, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
    dbstoo, bwilson4web and Trollbait like this.
  6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Facts and data are all I've ever asked for. Speculation is just noise. Regardless, we can get closer:
    Source: Tesla Vehicle Safety Report | Tesla

Comparing the 2019 Tesla safety data with AutoPilot vs non-AutoPilot accidents per million miles:
    • Q1 2019 - 2.87 m / 1.26 m ~= 2.28
    • Q2 2019 - 3.27 m / 1.41 m ~= 2.32
    • Q3 2019 - 4.34 m / 1.81 m ~= 2.40
    • Q4 2019 - 3.07 m / 1.64 m ~= 1.87
    For fun, let's also look at 2021 data:
    • Q1 2021 - 4.19 m / 0.978 m ~= 4.28
    • Q2 2021 - 4.41 m / 1.2 m ~= 2.76
    • Q3 2021 - 4.97 m / 1.6 m ~= 3.11
    • Q4 2021 - 4.31 m / 1.59 m ~= 2.71
    Compared to the 2019 Oregon data:
    [​IMG]
    • The 2019 total "CRASH RATE", 0.94, is nearly twice the Tesla reported NHTSA rate, 0.498
    • "Rural Minor Collectors", 3.17, is the only category close to the 2019 Tesla rate.
    • The crash ratio of all Fwys (Freeways) (4661 + 1217) / (9.877 m +1.511 m ) ~= 0.52
    The Oregon 2019 data shows substantially worse Fwys with Freeways crash rates compared to the Tesla reported quarterly data. The total crash rate is nearly twice the reported NHTSA rate. So it is hard to claim there are significantly safer roads used by AutoPilot as the numbers and ratios don't match. Of course there is a problem of 'small numbers' of Teslas with extra cost, AutoPilot in the 2019 data as there were still some legacy 'MagicEye' systems in use.

By 2021, all USA Teslas come with AutoPilot standard. It is unfair to compare 2019 Oregon data to 2021 Tesla data. However, the 2021 Tesla data compared to 2019 suggests significant improvements with fewer accidents per million miles. BTW, AutoPilot works great on any divided road or street. So I won't drive without it.

Bob Wilson

#66 bwilson4web, Feb 5, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2022
  7. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Bob: Note your home page is a "not found".

I did manage to change my profile but the best I could find at the time was a "Other hybrid" for a Rav4 hybrid.

If you click on a poster's name and go to their information you may find some notes about what cars they own. Bob has that.

8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing in this portion addresses the data selection bias problem I described.
    Where do you get this NHTSA crash rate of 0.498?

I hope you didn't miss noticing that the Oregon and Tesla figures are inverted. Reciprocals. Oregon lists crashes per (million) miles, while Tesla lists miles per crash. I.e. Tesla's report of "NHTSA’s most recent data shows that in the United States there is an automobile crash every 498,000 miles" translates to (1 crash / 498,000 miles) = 2.01 crashes / million miles. On the contrary, Oregon's crash rate isn't twice this NHTSA rate, it is really just half of this NHTSA rate.

Put another way, where NHTSA reports a crash every 498,000 miles, Oregon reports a crash just every 1,060,000 miles.

I ignored that line because the sample size, a single fatality, is too small to be statistically significant. But its 3.17 crashes per million miles translates to Tesla's basis as a mere 315,000 miles per crash. It isn't the closest to Tesla's report, it is really the farthest away, far worse.

OTOH, Oregon's Interstate rate of 0.47 crashes per million miles translates to Tesla's basis as 2,130,000 miles per crash, not quite as good as Tesla's AP, but better than any Tesla non-AP reports.

bwilson4web likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I’m on a trip to Murfreesboro and will look at it when home. Good catch.

Bob Wilson

10. 3PriusMike

3PriusMike Prius owner since 2000, Tesla M3 2018

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There is another selection bias with the Tesla numbers. Most of the Tesla cars are newish. Since many newer cars might have better safety systems and maybe more careful drivers it may be that they all have lower crash rates. You would need to obtain the raw data from the wider market data and select out the data for each model year in order to do a realistic comparison. New cars are probably driven more miles than older cars so it is unclear how significant this effect is.

Mike

11. Storm88000

Storm88000 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Wouldn't it be funny to find out that Bob is actually Elon Musk.

12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Ok, now to address the units problem:
    Tesla reports millions of miles per crash. So my formula should have been:
    • (9,877 m + 1.511 m) / (4661 + 1217) ~= 11,388 m mi / 5,878 crashes ~= 1.94 million miles per crash
    • Tesla reports in 2021, most recent with AutoPilot (+ AutoPilot) vs no-AutoPilot (- AutoPilot:)
      • Q1 2021 - 4.19 m / 0.978 m ~= 4.28
      • Q2 2021 - 4.41 m / 1.2 m ~= 2.76
      • Q3 2021 - 4.97 m / 1.6 m ~= 3.11
      • Q4 2021 - 4.31 m / 1.59 m ~= 2.71
    upload_2022-2-6_5-22-15.png
    Thanks! I'd screwed up the units but now all are using millions of miles per crash. The Oregon data is for the combination of "Fwys" and "Freeway" miles for all vehicles in 2019 shifted to 2021. The Tesla data is for 2021 reported by Tesla.

Bob Wilson

#72 bwilson4web, Feb 6, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2022
    Zythryn likes this.
  13. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Just looking at the potential problems with those statistics. What factors for age of drivers are appropriate? What factors for vehicle condition are appropriate? What factors for time of day/night the vehicles are driven? And using only freeway miles and comparing them to typical mixed route driving? How about comparing to just non-Tesla cars with warning systems (ones recent enough to have em)?

I'm thinking the Tesla AP might be favored by some of those adjustments and not by others. But without those aren't we comparing oranges and tangerines?

14. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    That's a neat trick; using 2021 data for Tesla and 2019 data for all others and then pretending that it's a valid comparison. That's two different areas with different climates (US as a whole VS Pacific Northwest) and different standards. Since the majority of the Tesla sales are in California (which had a mild, dry climate in 2021) you are not comparing similar data sets.

I spent a good deal of 2019 in Oregon, and we had some really bad weather that year. I can attest to the fact that there were almost no Teslas in Oregon outside the Portland metro area.

15. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you want more accident details, file a Freedom Of Information request with the USA government agency holding that data. Then follow up with your Congress critters. But there is a hypothesis the data suggests.

Thise who use Autopilot are self-selecting for the safest driver assistant software available. . . like I did. Heck I am a FSD beta tester because I had a 100% safety score for a week and over 100 miles. The safest drivers choose the safest configuration.

Bob Wilson