1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why get III over IV if you want leather?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by 32kcolors, Jul 22, 2009.

1. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    reread my list below. :)

2. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Ditto! would love to see pictures.

I've just agreed to buy a III rather than the IV I wanted because of availability. I would have rather had the IV... I wanted several of the upgrades especially the leather and the sks x3. :(

I'm working on "falling in love" with the version III now. My hope is that I can get a custom leather job done that will make it all ok. The fact that I can live with the fabric while I save my pennies is a definite plus. Not paying for it through the financing or dealer will effectively cut the cost by a significant margin I think.

I'm very interested in doing research on local (Oregon) shops for leather.

3. cpatch

cpatch New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Actually, that's what the difference between $2800 and the cost of aftermarket leather buys.

4. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree, I checked out the regular grade Klatzkin leather (felt as good as OEM) and the upgraded Tuscany and I can get a darker color then OEM. The direct quote from the after market firm that does most Toyota dealers in PDX, as well as other brands was $1,350 for the upgraded Katzkin Tuscany. This included $200 for the wrapped wheel with exact matching leather, (not wheelskins leather - thought they send it to WS), as well as the console, and doors (non-heated seat which I do not need here).

I went direct not only to save a few hundred dollars, but retain control. No need to have other people handle the car to hand off. I did decide to wait until next year and enjoy not caring what happens to the cloth (as they take it off anyway - this installer does not put the leather over cloth).

If I want want all leather on parts not where Toyota OEM is non-leather, its only an extra $200. $1,550 is very reasonable but probably going to pass. I did not want/need any of the other options on the VI which was good as there were none in Blue available in 3 states last month. My deadline was 7/31 to qualify for sales tax exemption of 8.5%.

PS interesting quote from other member about OEM being same quality as Lexus. I had an 03 Avalon with OEM gray (med - silverish color) leather that was a great quality but I did not find the 10 Prius leather to be as good. So either I test drove a outlier or Lexus leather is lower quality...but as he said, all in the eye of the beholder :D

5. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Rose,
    Who is your quote through? I'm curious about getting the contrasting stitching I've seen done. I wonder what effect that has on cost?

6. pdxrose

pdxrose New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Coach Automotice - 503-526-1001. There was a guy recommended near downtown PDX who does a lot of antique cars. Even better leather, but not needed for a P - was $2,200 for everything including all leather. PS they know me by my real name, Ann - but as mentioned, I have not yet done it - just seen their work at a dealer's lot :)

7. capek

capek New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went through my dealer to get leather put on my Prius II. I decided to do this as I had a bone to pick with them for a screw up during the well check process the day I bought my car, that made me leave it with them for a day a few hours after I bought and paid for it. I also had an issue being shady and sneaking in tint at an exorbitant price during the deal. I managed to parlay that into a $100 discount off the leather upgrade, so it was $1299; 3 days of car rental while it was being done; and two certificates for a free oil change. I'm pretty happy with the job they did. The leather feels really nice, it's perforated, and is reasonably tight. I need to take a closer look at it tomorrow when I get a chance. It does have zippers in the back of the front seats, just like the cloth seats did. I'm pretty sure they took the cloth ones off first; the back of the back seats are carpet, not leather.

8. wwbarr

wwbarr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Concur with Dianne, if the absolute quality of the leather is NOT a pet peeve then the price difference between the IV and the III is not as wide a gap as one might think. My wife and I struggled much over saving money on a 2nd Gen III Prius (one week after purchasing the first one) with package III versus package IV.

The main problem in calculating the true cost difference is the 3 door SKS in the IV versus than single SKS in the III. (Apart from the potentially catastrophic DIY option) How can you reasonably cost this option when the +2 door SKS upgrade kit is not available ? As such, the 3 door SKS was the primary tie breaker, along with a IV/V add-on not mentioned above, front / passenger water repellent side windows !

[Can't tell you how many laughs my wife and I have had with our new Gen III "water repellent" side window upgrades !]

As for the heated seats, how many SoCal Gen III IV or V buyers were able to use that ill-packaged option to negotiate a lower price ?

(BTW - I'd love to know the experience of having electrically cooled front seats !)

9. octavia

octavia Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree the cost is more than worth the value in the IV. The issue for me became finding one. The only IV's I could find also had the solar roofs, increasing cost by an additional 1800. I ended up with the III because that is all I could find. :)