1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why Hybrids Are Such a Hard Sell

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by nerfer, Mar 8, 2007.

1. ken1784

ken1784 SuperMID designer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know where the 2.1% number came from, but GreenCarCongress wrote...
    "Hybrids thus represented 1.82% of the US LDV market, the highest monthly figure yet."
    http://www.greencarcongress.com/2007/03/us_sales_of_hyb.html

And, we see they are increasing with wide view.

Ken@Japan
    [​IMG]

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nerfer @ Mar 8 2007, 08:52 AM) [snapback]402240[/snapback]</div>
    :p

3. Priuseely

Priuseely Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Mar 8 2007, 11:04 AM) [snapback]402286[/snapback]</div>
    After Sept. 11th I got gas one day for 89 cents a gallon....in Southern California. :blink:

4. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One of my pet proposals - decrease the income tax - increase the tax at the pump for non-commercial drivers. The roads need more funding and new buyers will be more realistic on their actual needs.

5. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

I agree, I live in Eastern PA and already 87 octane is up to 2.60 a gallon and rising. Once summer hits and it goes over $3 a gallon all the suv drivers will be crying the blues again.

And I saw someone posted that gas hasn't been 99 cents a gallon for 22yrs, I recall back in 1995 give or take a year it being that low. I just wish we could see that price again but that won't happen. The oil companies are robbing every american citizen!

6. bgdrewsif

bgdrewsif New Member

Phoenix, Arizona (formerly Bowling Green, Ohio)
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusguy04 @ Mar 8 2007, 01:04 PM) [snapback]402286[/snapback]</div>
    Umm, well I am 24 years old and I remember being able to fill up the tank on my mother's 1996 Subaru Outback for 80 or 90 cents a gallon when I first began driving when I was 16 back in 1998-99... at least gas was under a dollar in Findlay, Ohio back then... probally not in California or other high-dollar places... im sure gas probally only cost 50 or 60 cents when I was a 2 year old kid in 1984-85

7. OlsonBW

OlsonBW New Member

I remember the very early '70s when my dad had a Honda Trail 90 motorcycle. Gas was about 25 cents a gallon. I remember that because my dad would keep a quarter in his pocket so he could fill up the one gallon gas tank. The 90cc motorcycle could go about three weeks for him on one tank of gas commuting back and forth to work. He even went home for lunch. But then we only lived about a mile from his work.

8. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The cheapest price I can ever remember for gas was $0.77 in Macon, GA in March of 1999. I'm 34.

9. vuapplepudding

vuapplepudding New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(gh4chiefs @ Mar 8 2007, 11:29 AM) [snapback]402256[/snapback]</div>
    gh4chiefs,

I agree with you about the memory loss. It is already early in the year and prices are on the rise. CA is already paying $3+/ gallon. By the peak of summer, I bet gas will hit $4.00 easy. Let us not forget the next wave of tropical storms, refinery shutdowns for repair, and the lack of support for protecting the world's supply of petrol.

If the price of gas goes up, then we should look at it with a positive spin. It will force automakers to start putting words into action. Law makers will then have to consider more tax credits. The end result, my PRIUS will have on heck of a trade in value when I get my next hybrid.

Again, I bet we will hear the Truck manufacturers complain about how they are declining in sales of trucks.
    If I were a betting man, I'd say Ford is in a world of more hurt if they do not start planning yesterday.

P.S. Ask your uncle why it is that the PRIUS can sell at an amazing rate when there is not a single NATIONAL advertising campaign like all the other vehicles? Price cuts help, but I do believe that some people are wising up and planning ahead for the future of higher gas prices and the need to cut emissions.