1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why I Am Leaving PRIUS CHAT

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by New_Yorker, Nov 5, 2007.

1. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danny @ Nov 5 2007, 07:55 AM) [snapback]534936[/snapback]</div>
    For me, my issue is the number of times I have been denied access. Either the site was completely down (some web server (Apache Tomcat if memory serves) error message would be returned) or my login was recognized but I was not allowed to access any forums. I have lost track of how many times either of the two conditions I just described have occurred. But, since PC is free to the members, you make a decision on utility versus aggravation (denied access). Slowness of server response has occurred periodically (I have even caught efusco making multiple clicks of the Add Reply button; but apparently he was not amused and deleted my post along with the multiple posts of his own... :) ), but that is also something that you work around.

At the end of the day, it comes down to utility - there is enough on PC to keep me returning back for more.

2. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This site is probably hosted on a budget - virtual server setup.

Happens a lot with Linux hosting at bargain $$$. A 16 CPU server can sometimes host 1,000 sites.

So whenever many sites on a server become popular, slowdowns.

PC is very slow - they simply need a better CO-LOC hosting plan, that however costs more $$$ per month.

Or their own dedicated server, good for speed, lousy for backups.

3. mrg

mrg Member

Well I am sorry he did not get his moneys worth. Oh, thats right we didn't have to pay anything.

He must have not looked around the sight very much. Where else it there so much Prius information and community input to help each other improve our Prius or just learn about them.

When something is both quality and free some patience should be expected. He will be back.

Thanks everybody. :)

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I find PC is usually pretty perky in the morning here in the eastern part of the country. Once the west coast wakes up and comes online it can slow down a bit, and from time to time the database packs it in. It's not the most stable site I've every worked with, but considering it's running from a bunch of PHP scripts and a SQL database, it's not doing too badly.

Tom

5. mjms2b

mjms2b MJ Green

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    BOO HOO, seems like if someone really had something to contribute and/ or learn they would just deal with it. the value of the information here is immense. but only if you don't already know everything.

6. Sonny Jim

Sonny Jim New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 5 2007, 05:56 PM) [snapback]535178[/snapback]</div>
    My experiences, responses, and sentiments exactly. Thanks for saving me all the typing :)

7. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Like the sign says:

"FAST, GOOD, AND INEXPENSIVE. Pick Two.

FAST and GOOD isn't INEXPENSIVE

INEXPENSIVE and GOOD isn't FAST

FAST and INEXPENSIVE isn't GOOD."

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(New_Yorker @ Nov 5 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]534923[/snapback]</div>
    Well, don't let the door hit you on the way out...I find this site fast. But I have fiber optic, and all sites are fast.

9. darlenegalik

darlenegalik New Member

New Yorker should try 4am - it zips along real fast.....

Great site, and kudos to all who make it so !

10. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey I find the site can be slow sometimes so I find something else to do for half an hour and come back. It's no big deal. This is still the most amazing community on the web. More information than you could poke a stick at and friendly people mostly but a few fools that are not suffered well and nor they should be.

If you find a better resource, good luck to you.

11. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bet New_Yorker will be back when it snows in LI and his traction
    control kicks in.
    _H*

12. apriusfan

apriusfan New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hobbit @ Nov 6 2007, 06:59 AM) [snapback]535477[/snapback]</div>
    Depends on the stubbornness factor.

13. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Something I think I forgot to mention earlier: Sometimes the site seems to be down on Sunday mornings. I speculate that since Danny has a real job, Sunday mornings might be when he does site maintenance. When that happens I do something else. The fact that I miss PC when it's down tells me it's worth coming back to after the maintenance is done.

14. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mark Derail @ Nov 5 2007, 09:13 PM) [snapback]535242[/snapback]</div>

About all i have to add is:
    I do web development, and i can tell you, without a doubt, that designing a site for this volume of people isn't a walk in the park, and it usually isn't cheap, either. I don't even want to think about the hundreds of thousands of dollars my company has spent buying servers in order to keep up our bandwidth... lets just say we have more than 16 CPUs, and those are solely dedicated to our site!

Performance is one of the toughest challenges in developing software, way harder than developing new features or anything like that. Trust me - about 3/4 of my job is dedicated to performance related issues/improvements (and some of those have been huge - a 90% gain here, 70% there, and we're still suffering performance problems due to our rapid growth)

15. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've been here only a couple of months and although it is a little slow at times I have never had to wait 15 minutes to log on.

16. Neicy

Neicy Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(New_Yorker @ Nov 5 2007, 11:34 AM) [snapback]534923[/snapback]</div>
    Same kind of person who does jack-rabbit starts and stops and then wonders why his mileage is so low?

17. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Nov 5 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]535178[/snapback]</div>
    Not to be a copy cat to what another poster said, but even I agree with my "Arch Nemesis" on this here. LOL Next thing you know we'll be best friends... :)

18. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Perhaps if he upgraded from his 14k to the spiffy 28K baud modum .... sssssss guueeeeee wahhh wahhh wahh wahhh gueeeeee (drop)

19. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    :wacko: i use cox cable here in va beach and this web page is as fast as most others.. sounds like you need a bigger pipe....
    15Mb down 2Mb up pipe

20. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    sometimes i feel like never logging in again... but i'm a prius junky and i can't get a lot of this info anywhere else.

if you have info to contribute.. do so.. set up notifications and don't browse anymore. at least you get that info out.