1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why I bought a Prius - Another Perspective

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Mojo40, Mar 9, 2006.

1. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Where is the ongoing data?

Where are the owners & forums?

Where is the onslaught of media attention?

It's the lack of a loud enough voice with those successful vehicles of the past that convinced me to push for a strong web presence this time. All that greenwashing from the automakers, press, and certain politicians were able to prevent most outrage from materializing.

Not letting Prius suffer the same fate was an important goal. We have greater resources at our disposal now. We need to continue using them, with an ever increasing growth.

2. Mojo40

Mojo40 New Member

Wow - this is a great discussion so far. I am compiling a list of all the reasons people have submitted. I am going to let the discussion go a little more, and then I will try to group/categorize the reasons into a little smaller list. After seeing some of the other people's reasons, I will probably refine mine a little bit.

Could somebody please start a separate forum and title it "The Michael Crichton State of Fear Debate". If you believe that that global warming is something we need to be very worried about, please read that book first, then see if you still believe in it. You can also read a great speech that Michael gave on this subject at MichaelCrichton.com. I read the book and was intrigued. Also, the main character in the book drives a Prius. I would enjoy seeing some PriusChat members viewpoints. Perhaps Mr. Crichton will make some postings.

Regarding the issue of insurance against temporary fuel shortages, I still think it's a bigger issue/reality than people care to realize, but I suppose time will tell. I won't rant about it any more in this forum. I will, however, put another 10 gallons in the shed out back. 20 gallons will keep me driving for a month. If we can't get gas for a month, then things would be really really bad.

Back to reasons for buying a Prius - here is the "raw" list I have compiled so far.

Compiled List – Reasons I bought a Prius

Fuel efficiency ($ savings, insurance against higher gas prices in future)
    Fuel efficiency – statement (Good for the environment, I don’t care if it costs extra)
    Fear of/insurance against gas shortages
    Doing my part in support of energy security
    Morality, including republicans making liberal SUV drivers eat their words
    Automatic Transmission
    Cool car and/or stands out, want to be different
    Car is just plain fun
    Gadgets and Gizmos (MFD, Navigation, Bluetooth, etc.)
    High Technology
    legendary vehicles, a breaking-point technology
    Hatchback
    4 doors
    Size/Capacity/MPG ratios
    Ability to drive in the diamond lane
    Wanted a smaller car
    I just wanted to own a hybrid
    Tax Credit
    Affordability compared with other midsize cars
    Low depreciation
    Toyota Reliability/Reputation
    Not a Honda
    80 MPG Yaris Hybrid not available yet.
    X-factor - I can't explain it but I was hooked after one test drive. I feel like this is the automobile version of myself.
    Comfort/driving position (first car I've ever owned that doesn't require me to sit on a pillow!)
    Fun to Drive
    I had to have a car with the start Power button instead of a key in a slot
    Being able to use “Stealth†mode, and more importantly, being able to tell people I use it
    Having something before someone else
    I’m an Obsessive-Compulsive
    Want to piss off the ex wife

3. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

:D :D :D

4. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Keep in mind that some of us were denied that opportunity in the past.

I still remember the excitement from watching a review of the EV1 on CNET filmed in California a decade ago. I still have a few articles I clipped out of newspapers & magazines of that electric car. But disappointment grew as I learned it would never be available for purchase in the Midwest.

There was revitalized hope later when Ford hyped their Electric Ranger. I really thought I had a chance at buying one... since the Ranger is built just down the road from where I live. But that never happened either.

The forces against the electric effort squashed any chance of us being able to do our part.

So when Prius was announced 6 years ago, showing that it clearly overcame the stigma from the electric-only past, I immediately starting nagging dealers to help me buy one. The rest is (thoroughly documented) history.

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://pluginamerica.com/

http://darelldd.com/ev

We're here, but we've all volunteering our time and resources to battle the well-funded automotive PR. Talk about swimming upstream! The fact that is used against us most often? "If BEVs are so good, why aren't they being made?" Indeed.... why? Is it because the auto industry wants desperately to bring us the vehicles that are best for the consumer and best for the planet? Or do they want to see the proper profits at the end of each quarter? Duh. ;)

Oh we've had plenty... of the "EVs suck because they were a flop in the market" variety.

With only a few thousand drivers TOTAL it is quite difficult to muster a voice to be heard above the din of hundreds of millions of ICE makers/drivers/proponents.

Made quite a bit easier by the fact that ZERO paradign shift was needed for hybrid ownership. Beyond the fancy start sequence, hybrid owners have to do nothing different than they ever did before. They pollute less, and use a bit less gasoline.... but we're still driving gasoline cars.

And here's my quantdry. I don't WANT to keep using a gasoline hybrid. Does my purchase tell the world that I want to continue pushing the envelope in this direction, eventually ended up with BEVs again? OR does my purchase tell everybody that BEVs really DID suck, and that this gasoline hybrid is really what I wanted all along?

6. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You missed mine!

* I couldn't buy the BEV that I really wanted, and the Prius is the closest thing on the market

7. darelldd

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    John -

I don't mean to be ragging on you here - yet I'm inspired to keep commenting. I hope you don't mind! This all does dovetail with the subject of this thread. The reason I bought the Prius is ONLY because I couldn't buy the type of car I really wanted....

I am fully aware, as I was one of those who was originally denied. As far as I know, I'm still on the EV1 waiting list - though I eventually got mine through somewhat of a "back door" - and that's all I'm saying about that!

The Rav4EV was the only BEV to be sold to the public - and then for only eight months. I was VERY fortunate to get in on that!

The part that stings is the WAY the hybrids "overcame the stigma." Honda and Toyota both have (and still do!) make a huge deal out of the fact that "you don't have to plug it in." When, in fact, we don't GET to plug it in. We HAVE to drive to the gas station. No option! Gas or don't drive. They managed to take one of (if not THE) best feature of a BEV, and turn it into the biggest, most popular *negative*. As long as we've got the warm-fuzzies about using gasoline, gasoline hybrids are easy to support!

And again. I'm doing this to "make my voice heard" and not to pick on you - obviously one of the "good guys." :)

8. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Why I bought a Prius.

1) Great milege.
    2) Saving $$$ weekly on gas.
    3) Large tax credit next year.
    4) Good resale compared to other cars.
    5) Concerned about putting heat into the atmosphere.
    6) Toyota's reputation.

9. jeromep

jeromep Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I owe this thread my reasons for driving a Prius, especially considering that I was one of those that helped hijack it for a few posts there.
    1. I wanted to drive something different - everybody has a 4-door, but I deserved a different 4-door
    2. Great fuel economy - I can go places without it ripping a hole in my wallet
    3. Digital, touch screen dash
    4. Auto climate control (how many cars this price range have auto climate? 0)
    5. Well implemented and proven technology, I wanted to participate in the future, not buy into the past or be like everyone else
    6. Design was attractive, eye catching
    7. Roomy interior, utilitarian interior
    8. Toyota reputation, although I would buy Ford products again in a heart beat

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't mind at all.

But you should keep in mind that getting the average joe to take the massive step that you and I gladly embrace is virtually impossible. So I have accepted the painfully long road of multiple small steps instead.

My job professionally, as a lead programmer, is to do the very same thing. As much as I'd like to introduce the best and most advanced software, I just can't. There's too much resistance to get away with that. But I can, and have, successfully implemented a series of small steps over the years... which have been leading to that ultimate goal I wanted in the first place.

Patience, it's well worth it (though very frustrating).

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Well,

In Nov/03, I was assigned a 04' fully marked #1 prius from my department as a test bed. after they where hearing how wonderful the cars were for patrol duty.. :D

I had to go to a class to learn about the car, so I would then become the unofficial spokesman for the dept.s Prius ( like the wendys commecial guy). ;)

I went to a confrence in Miami Fl. and drove the prius I filled up in Orlando drove to Miami around north & south beach at dinner time then back to the hotel I left on a fri & returned on sun. (I did not have to refuel until I got back into Orlando with one bar showing).. :blink:

I was so amazed at the fuel economy, ie I was hooked I just had to have one, So I purchased one.. we average 512 - 520 miles per tank.. :eek:

The car was reassigned after 1yr to unmaked status ( they removed the decals) & now is being used in investigations they now have 4 .. ( the car handled everything I dished out, cutting thru medians & hopping curbs. Note the car was not used to haul prisoners not enough room or for pursuits .. :mellow:

I told our fleet dept. that I'd be the guinea pig for any future Hybrids... :)

I checked out the Hondas one was too small the other was a compact car with compact features. (a no go on that one). :huh:

I love the prius it has had no repairs needed becides normal prevenitive maint & a set of tires. ;)

I recommend the Prius to everyone.. B)

12. keydiver

keydiver New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My reasons line up pretty closely to your's, Mojo40! :D But, included in that last 50%, as someone else mentioned, was my need to be able to evacuate from hurricanes. My wife loves the idea of being able to get hundreds of miles away from here, even if the gas stations have no gas, which happened last year before Wilma. Also, I don't think its just "the bad guys" that can/will cause pricing and availablity issues with our gasoline, I also have seen what natural disasters have done. With 2006 promising to be another banner year for hurricanes, and crude oil being a commodity prone to wild fluctuations in price when people become fearful, buying the Prius was my way of hedging my bets a little. Yes, I may end up waiting in gasoline rationing lines again, like I did in the 70's, but MY 5-10 gallons will allow me to get to work many more times than most people, or allow me to safely evacuate.

13. cmwade77

cmwade77 New Member

40% I get to drive in the carpool lane by myself (I live in So. Cal. (L.A. Area) so this is a major benefit to me) at least until 2008.
    30% Cost Savings (Even factoring in the the higher payments, I will still spend less per month than on my old car).
    20% Lots of cool gadgets to play with.
    10% Cool Looking Car

Please note that I didn't buy it because it was good for the enviroment. Yes we should be good to the enviroment, but at the same time we have to do what is best for us and the Prius was by far the best for me.

14. s.e.tx_parrothead

s.e.tx_parrothead New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There are several reasons why I decided to order a Prius..
    1) My daily commute is approximately 90 miles roundtrip. I am a supervisor for a LARGE state agency and I am about to take over the supervisory functions for the eastern portion of our region...If you know Texas...Beaumont to Huntsville (North of Houston to the Louisiana state line).

2) I am a gadget queen. I like neat things that are so totally different. If it has to do with a computer or anything like that, I am there. I can't wait to try out the Bluetooth and Nav system. :p

3) My current vehicle is a 02 Jeep Liberty 4x4. I love it and if it weren't for the 17.5 mgp average and the fact that it has 118,000+ miles, I would keep it. It is almost to the point of me putting more money in it than I want to.

4) I live near the Texas Gulf Coast...the Hurricane Factor. We were lucky with Rita as Livingston was on the "clean" side. The bad news we could not find gas for days. US 59 runs through Livingston and was being used as an evacution route for Houston. We had people stranded here for days. I grew up in the Texas Panhandle (Tornado Alley) and I will take a Tornado any day versus another Hurricane.

The Prius will be here in May or June, just in time for vacation. DH and I are taking his mom and niece (from Baltimore, MD) to the mountains in Northern New Mexico for a week. I am soooo excited. Just want to say I am glad that I found PriusChat and that the info I gleaned from the various posts helped seal the deal on ordering the car. Thanks!!! -- Kris

15. Florida Prius

Florida Prius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Our reasons (in no particular order):

Fuel economy - My better half was going broke buying fuel for the pick-up.

Drivability - Her MR2 was not made for the crappy back dirt roads in Florida. She only got to drive it about 300 miles per year after we moved there.

Then, after purchase, I revised the reasons. Now they include: We have a GREAT car that sits 4 nicely. There is 'inside' luggage space (vs the pick-up). How cool is the Nav? My better half says she never gets lost anymore! The safety features! The keyless system! It looks SO cool! And, her voice.......

16. MyPria

MyPria New Member

I had been looking for a new car for about 6 months before I bought the Prius. I test drove the Toyota Rav4L, the Honda Element, a BMW X3, and a PT Cruiser. I really liked them all, but something was missing. I wanted to drive a Prius even though I didn't have a clue what it was. On the net I found a dealer 30 miles away that had a 2005 Package 6 that I could test drive. I drove the car and fell in love with it. It had EVERYTHING I wanted in a car and then some! It is safe, user friendly, has good hauling capacity, is full of tech toys, drives like a dream, and as an added bonus- it's not a gas guzzling premium sucking piglet. I had to have it. My spouse couldn't figure out why I wanted to trade my 2003 BMX X5 for a Prius. All I can say is that it was love at first drive. In January we traded the 2005 for a 2006 Package 8 to get even more tech and toys. Now, my spouse loves the car as much as I do, so we'll probably end up as a 2 Prii family soon. We didn't want to keep the 2005 because we figured we'd fight over the 06.

IMO you just can't go wrong with the Prius. By the way, I have Michelin X-ice snow tires and live in Colorado. It does great in the snow and ice. I've had the pleasure on more than one occasion to pass large 4 wheel drive vehicles that were have troubles in the snow. What fun!!!

17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Just so you'll know (and if someone below already hasn't mentioned it):

1) Gas in a shed is like a bomb in a shed. There ARE special fire / explosion resistant cabenets specifically designed for such things. The cost is worth the risk prevention.

2) Gas can go bad in as little as 6 to 8 weeks. Rotate it out. Otherwise the goo you pour into your car will be like pouring varnish into your car. In fact once it starts to turn bad, that's what it will start to smell like. But DON'T smell it because that is way bad too!

18. sutherlin12

sutherlin12 New Member

Why I upgraded from an '05 to an '06

100% because I loved my '05 and the tax credit was just too good to pass up.

19. Stringer

Stringer New Member

I will also have to give a big credit for john1701a's diary. It was the best available source of information and I doubt I would own Prius today without it.

20. the fish

the fish Member

Ditto that. Also this site convinced me that there are many folks who are as excited about the car too.