1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why I changed my order to a 07 Camry

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by sloopG, Jan 11, 2006.

1. jeneric

jeneric New Member

There is no wall here. After the collision both cars will be moving at 12.5 mph down the road. The difference in velocity is 12.5 mph.

2. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I think what you meant to say was:

Hitting a stopped car while driving at 25 mph will be the same as if each car was travelling at 12.5 mph in a head on collision. That is because each car would absorb 1/2 of the energy of the collision.

/Jim

3. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Actually he meant a 25 mph car hitting a 0 mph car results in both cars going 12.5 mph in the same direction, so the change in speed for each car is 12.5 mph (-12.5 for the moving car, +12.5 for the stopped). Of course that would never happen in real life; he was using a very simplified model.

4. flynz4

flynz4 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Negative: Scenario #3 is the same as scenario #2. The difference in speed is in fact 50 mph... but now each car is absorbing 1/2 of the energy.

Windstrings... with all due respect... I really think the point of confusion is that you believe that when a vehicle hits an immovable barrier, that the barrier absorbs 1/2 of the impact. This is not true. I think once you get past that error... everything else will fall into place... and the answer will be completely intuitive... and just make "common sense".

Maybe this will help:

1) Car is crashed into a barrier that is 1mile thick of soft fluffy down. Upon impact the car is gradually slowed to a stop, with no damage to the car. The down absorbs 100% of the energy.

2) Car is crashed into a barrier that is 1 mile thick of solid granite. Car is flattened against the solid granite face... The car absorbs 100% of the energy... and the rock face is unscathed.

5. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I think it models real life pretty well, I just haven't mentioned what happens after what I'm calling "the crash," when you have 2 cars sliding down the road at 12.5 mph.

Nice barrier example, flynz4.

6. jeneric

jeneric New Member

I got some more crash talk, I know you're all thrilled. But for anymore crash talk we're supposed to go here.

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I gave the example without a wall too..... after collision you are only accounting for the energy of "one" car?... and then you admitted that one side gets 12.5 worth of impact and the other does too.... so if the "other" is a car, then the car gets the other 12.5 right?

Now if you go ahead and factor the energy from the other car "in a headon" then you have 12.5 to each car and the other 12.5 is tranferred from the opposing car to the other resulting in a total impact force of 25.0 to each car correct?

Thats twice as much mph impact as when hitting a wall... because the wall was not there to absorb the other half "12.5" with a headon... the other car took it!

If you ever get this... we'll have to throw a party! :lol:

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Its true!.. I think you are mistaken!... I don't care if the wall is 18 inches of solid steel.. it still absorbs the energy too!... just because it incurred no physical damage means nothing... remember the kinetic swinging balls? If the wall was hooked to or touching anything else.. like the ground or other structures, then the energy is also transferred into them. When a bullet hits a tank and bounces off, the tank still took the energy.....

Your wrong again... both objects absorbed the energy... since the fluffy down was so soft, it was dispersed over time and so possibly didn't dent or damage, but the car still took equal energy.

It seems you let your "eyes" determine your reality. Yes your wrong again.. the one mile thick granite took the energy too... since it was "so" hard, the car never had any "time" to slow down but had an instant impact and so looked like a pancake and extreme damage was incurred.... but the granite still took the other energy like a champ.

Do you think when they do crash tests and the car goes crashing into the barrier and the barrier is not scratched that it didn't take any of the energy? What stopped the car and bent it all to hell? The barrier... how did the barrier stop a 3000 lb car without absorbing any energy?

The barrier is not a spring which stores the energy and then throws it back.... its a barrier... designed to replicate real life objects we hit.

At what point does the barrier decide to take the energy verses not take it?..... by the mood its in? by how hard it is?.... If its soft like fluffy down it says.... you its your turn to take all the energy... I'm too fluffy?... the laws of physics are not so that the energy is "reversed" because of a shape or type of mass. The energy is still transferred whether it has the ability to take it without damage or not.

When you hit a barrier of plastic trash cans full of water like they have in so many places on the freeway to keep people from killing themselves.. the barrier still absorbs the energy. It is designed to absorb it over time "why it is so thick" to prevent or lessen instant trauma.

No offense, but I am about to get two new prius's... I have other things to be focusing on... but thanks for the entertainment.

like I said earlier.. I suggest to go talk to a teacher of someone you respect "that actually is an authority"

9. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

I would.

No power moonroof? hehe. Option package is already posted so is colour. Pricing is all that's left. Late Feb maybe?

10. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    SloopG.."if your still reading this!".. I just got an inside email from my local toyota dealer that is supposed to be and "employee discount" with camry's at 2800 under MSRP.... I went and took a second look, but I'm not interested... maybe the same offer is in your area too?

11. sloopG

sloopG New Member

Is the 2800 discount on the 06 Camry or on the new 07s? Sound like an end of model year promotion to move the inventory out.

Just for fun math, a $2800 discount is about 1120 gallons of gasoline at $2.50 per gallon or 28,000 miles of free gasoline at 25 miles per gallon.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    yea.. you could be right.....
    Example: $2,800 off MSRP on all 2006 Camry's in stock.
    MSRP discount includes $1,000 Factory Rebate and $1,800 Toyota of Gladstone Discount.

13. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if a 100g object was designed to absorb the energy of 200g of mass at a certain velocity without damage to the interior cabin, and a 150g object was designed to take only 75g of mass at the same velocity without damage to the interior cabin...

you do the math.

14. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    flareak, the other thread please :) hehe.

15. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    oh, i didn't know there was another... sorry

(ps. where is it?)

edit: nvm i found it

16. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    yeah, i think sloop was getting a little annoyed. I'm surprised the mods didn't transfer it already.

17. DanCar

DanCar New Member

18. sloopG

sloopG New Member

Thanks for putting that together!!!!

Someone in an earlier email mentioned that the colors and option packages had been setup. Does anyone have additional information on that?

19. Begreen

Begreen Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A

I had an 88 Camry LS wagon that got rear-ended while I was stopped at a red light. The guy was drunk, driving a Ford F250 pickup truck. He saw the light about 1 second before he hit me. The cops estimated impact speed at about 25 mph. Now the truck must have outweighed me significantly, yet the Camry crush zones worked exactly as advertised. As a matter of fact, they worked so well that the cop was astounded. He said, most folks don't walk away from this kind of accident. I not only walked away, but drove away. All 4 doors still worked and latched tight and the rear hatch too. The car was creased, no doubt, but it held together well. I have never ceased to be impressed about how well the car absorbed the impact.

That said - I don't want anyone testing my crush zones on my baby Prius.