1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why I Hate my Prius Prime

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by stevepea, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You should have just asked. Just about anyone could have told you that buying a Model S solely for saving money on gas doesn’t pan out.

Of course, buying a Prime doesn’t either, you should have bought a used Geo Metro if gas money was your only priority.;)

Ming C and Raytheeagle like this.
  2. Dudley1030

Dudley1030 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I bought my Prime Adv on November, 30th. I have about 1500 miles on it. I have never had more than 23-25 miles EV mode available after a charge. How are you getting substantially more than that?

3. Prime8

Prime8 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I chose the Prime based on many factors upon which the Geo Metro does not appear to be as capable of meeting my expectations. Specifically safety and reliability.

The bottom line is that no matter how hard I try, owning the Prime greatly impairs my ability to financially justify the purchase of a Model S which was difficult enough to justify before purchasing the Prime. Hence, in keeping with the theme of this thread, I mentioned that.

Short of winning the lottery, which not playing makes a little less likely, I do not expect to find a Model S in my garage next to my Prime. There simply is not enough room.

bwilson4web and fuzzy1 like this.
  4. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    It takes a dozen or more charges and good warm weather for the estimated miles to creep up in the 30's. Remember, that's only an estimate and won't necessarily mean you will get more than 25. Now that it is winter, the estimated and actual will probably go down until April.

5. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Well you could have kept the Geo Metro and gotten a used Leaf. We call that a garbage plug-in hybrid.

Bob Wilson

6. IABoy987

IABoy987 Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This isn't a "hate" rather seemingly an information center display design or layout oversight or quirk. Today I finally realized that the outside temperature is positioned over the battery, while the charge percentage is over the ECO car. Kept wondering why the charge was always 72 and the outside temperature kept dropping, then the light bulb lit and DUH, realized what was what! Seems percent should be over battery and temperature over car, or better yet, positioned near the clock.
    But I can get use to it the way it is.

Second the LED that illuminate the floor could be brighter.

bisco and bwilson4web like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    odd, since the pip temp is on the hvac screen, and the battery miles below the battery icon.

hate to see engineering go backwards

8. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The HSI shows EV driving information. Part of that info is either the remaining percentage in the battery or the remaining range estimate as chosen in settings. What you have set to show the battery, I have set to show the MPH or M/KWH depending on HV vs EV mode. The battery info is already plainly shown on the HSI, so having it in place of the mpg gauge doesn't make sense. I'd rather have both pieces of data than two of one and none of the other.
    Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 9.15.46 AM.png

On the models with the 11.6" display the inside setting and the outside temperature are both on display. Apparently not on the base trim with the smaller screen.

Unfortunately, it seems that all trim levels consider the actual cabin temperature to be classified information.