1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why I love summer weather!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Codyroo, Apr 27, 2012.

1. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've had nearly ideal driving conditions for my commute and even my one short trip isn't killing my mileage (short = ~1.25 miles each way with a 2 hour break inbetween).

I've had calm winds going into work and tailwinds going home (~10-15 mph) instead of the typical cross/tail winds I normally get. While we did have some showers one morning, it wasn't too bad. Warm weather has helped A TON!! Temps in the 70's - 80's are perfect. Add in some heavy traffic, so I have an excuse to slow down even more and I'm sitting at a best tank (for the moment). Likely, it will fall when I visit my parent's on Saturday, but I'm going to revel in it now.

Voila!!

[​IMG]

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are my hero, bro!!!

That is awesome but can you hold out till you end the tank? 700 miles?

3. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It is going to be tough. Mostly because I am forced to drive on the weekends and that is when I get my "worst" mileage. The trip to the folks will be in the afternoon, when the winds are kicking up (thus, I'm driving into a headwind). If I'm VERY lucky, there will be a big rig crossing the bridge driving 60 mph that I can tuck in behind and have him move most of the air.

We'll see what I can get. If the weather holds up, I'll be able to make it up during the week, but I don't think I'll beat 70.0 mpg. I think that's why I took the photo, to show that I was above 70.0 mpg for over 400 miles before the weekend hit.

I raised my average from 70.2 to 70.3 mpg on the way home today, and that was with a net elevation gain of 400 feet. Tailwinds are as awesome as headwinds stink.

1 person likes this.
  4. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'm going into my third summer with my 2010. I do a lot of suburban driving with stop and go traffic lights. My usual average mph on the HSI reads 17. In spite of this, I have gotten a lifetime average mpg of 52 or so.

But this spring, I am getting up to 60 mpg on my tankfuls. I recently averaged 64 mpg on a trip from NYC to DC.

Even as it approaches three years, this car still amazes me.

1 person likes this.
  5. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    And I thought 55 from Richmond to Atlantic City was good!

6. fjpod

fjpod Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I admit I drove conservatively at 55-60 mph, did not accelerate into hills, etc.

7. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Weather has a large effect on a Prius more than any
    othe car.

A couple of years ago we took a ride to Longview Washington
    temps were in the 60's with clear weather, no wind, and dry
    roads. When we arrived in Longview the MPG gauge read
    62 mpg which is at least 58 calculated.

Also from Seaside to Longview there is an increase in elevation
    by about 25 feet or so, not much but still an increase.

While we were shopping there a cold front came in and after
    filling up with gas I reset the trip meter. The temps went from about 65 to the mid to high 40's with rain and some wind.

When we returned to Seaside the mpg gauge read 50 mpg, that
    is a 12 mpg difference which is over 20% just due to weather
    road conditions.

8. Big Steve

Big Steve ramblin wreck

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well on my Richmond - AC trip (55.7 mpg)

I did lose 74 ft of altitude; traveled at speed limit +5 on average, so that is 75 in some spots.

So maybe those would explain the difference.

9. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Weather truly does play a big part in the car's performance (beyond driver behavior). Just having weather that was in the 70's to 80's helped improve my MPG's by at least 5 MPG.

On my trip home from work, the MPG gauge read 70.2 mpg (405 miles or so) and when I got home it was 70.3 mpg (437 miles). That was with an elevation INCREASE of 400 feet. Wind plays a big part in the car performance.

10. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Back from a trip to my parent's house. Ran into headwinds on the bridge and no nice and big brick (big rig) to hide behind. Car is currently at 530 miles or so and the tank MPG is showing 69.8 mpg. If I don't drive my car tomorrow and I get at a couple days of commuting in, I may be able to salvage a 70.0+ mpg tank (displayed).

11. SuperchargedMR2

SuperchargedMR2 Diehard Rams Fan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unbelievable, I can't imagine getting 70 mpg over an entire tank. great job! :D

12. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Very good especially with the MFD at an average 37mph.
    A tailwind is very helpful. :D
    What's your normal one-way commute distance/time/avg top speed?
    What's your tire pressure setting?

13. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Approximately ~35 miles to work with a net 400 foot decrease in elevation to work. It takes me about 45 -50 minutes or so to make it to work and about an 55 - 60 min to get home. I try to keep my top speed to 60 mph, and more typically 58 - 59 mph). But, if I have the opportunity to cruise behind a truck or car that is driving 55 mph, I'll fall in behind them. Tire pressures are set to 44 PSI front and 42 PSI rear (max PSI for the Yokohama Avid S33 are 44 PSI).

I also have the added benefit of having about 3 - 5 miles of slow and go traffic, which is an opportunity to pulse and glide (typically speeds between 10 - 30 mph at different parts of the freeway).

On the way home, I'll get 5 miles of slow and go (plus a little stop and go, courtesy of a metering light) and a crosswind (mostly tail) in the summer time of about 15 mph.

1 person likes this.
  14. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Cody, what are your average differences in trip MPG between going to and coming from work? I am just curious how much better you are getting when you are going downhill compared to going up. Thanks!

15. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

During "typical" weather, I usually see about a 3 mpg difference, something like 64 mpg coming to work and 61 mpg going home. But it isn't all due to elevation change.

Going to work, the winds are typically calm and the commute is fairly predictable in regards to traffic patterns.

My return (uphill) trip usually is in warmer weather and either sports a cross/tail wind or a tail wind (which can hinder or really help my mileage). Traffic is often a bit heavier, so I will have more opportunity to pulse and glide coming home.

16. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A quick update: I started my commute with the tank average down to 69.6 MPG (I had to drive to my son's baseball game yesterday). I arrived at work this morning and the tank average is 69.9 MPG. Temps are reported to be cooling down during the week, so it is going to be close to see if I can get a 70+ mpg tank for 700 miles (just to say I drove 700 miles on a tank).

17. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    We're all behind you. Keep the updates coming!

18. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    More power to you...I hate having hills here that are mpg killers. This is from Santee to Oceanside.[​IMG]

19. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Woohoo! :)

It sounds like you'll get 700 miles from this tank.

20. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Got home with the MPG at 69.9. My usual exit from the freeway was clogged up due to a traffic accident on surface streets. I had to take the next exit (which is closer to my house) but it involves me climbing a steep hill, taking an exit ramp that descends even more steeply. Ends in a stop sign. Then I have to make a left turn and go back up a steep hill. Stupidly inefficient. Later on, I had to drive a short trip to another baseball game (2.5 hours with a cold wind....y.a.y.) and an cold drive home. Sitting at 69.8 mpg. 613 miles. PIP started flashing about 3 miles ago.