1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why I may not get the solar roof

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by scottwyden, Jun 18, 2009.

1. fred garvin

fred garvin New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    the answer is 56 net additional pounds

effect on mpgs not material

if i weighed 150 lbs and had the sunroof, and you weighed 206 and did not, we would have the same net weight, or said another way, if neither of us had the roof, would i at 150 lbs expect way better mpgs than you at 206?

if so, those hypermilers better start eating salads

1 person likes this.
  2. oxnardprof

oxnardprof Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I wonder if anyone has done an objective test of the effect of the solar panel on the cabin temperature. It would be an easy test to conduct; there are even instruments that can datalog temperatures. It would be interesting to compare a Prius with and without the solar panel.

Despite that, I do not think I would want the sunroof, just because that is not high on my list of must haves. For me, I must have NAV (prefer an integrated design), full air bags, SKS.

3. TKY

TKY Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I just picked up my Blue Ribbon Metallic IV with Solar/Nav package. I live in the Denver, CO area, where the sun shines 330 days a year, or so, there is no shade because it feels like the sun is always directly overhead, and there is very little covered parking. For me, the extra cost of the Solar package was a no-brainer to help keep my car at tolerable heat levels when parked outside all day.

Some of the other toys that are bundled with the Solar/Nav package are questionable, but I expect the cooling effect to be well worth the cost.

TK

4. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Am I the only one who immediately thought if $40 breaks the bank, what the heck is this guy buying a new car for? I mean really.....$40 makes a difference in your monthly living situation and your best thinking is to go out and buy a new car? Pick up a used Prius if the G35 is killing you in gas and save $15K.