1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why I won't buy a Tesla Model 3

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by 4rpr15, Apr 1, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pip was a triple. i was hoping prime would be a home run. instead, we got a base on balls. but as they say, a walk is as good as a hit.

2. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    But you aren't the target market for the Prius anymore.;)

Yeah, but when double the capacity of the battery pack, a near doubling of the required volume shouldn't a surprise.

The Prime loses the fifth seat to maintain the non-plug in's fuel economy figures.

3. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Trollbait said "But you aren't the target market for the Prius anymore."

Sadly, your statement is accurate, and that is why I will not be purchasing a new Prius.
    But what a shame .... I have been a faithful supporter and recommended the Prius to any that asked.
    There are many great choices on the market, and even better choices coming later in the year.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but they added 120 pounds to the pip over the lift back, and there was no talk of the lift back losing mpg's.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but they added 120 pounds to the pip over the lift back, and there was no talk of the lift back losing mpg's.
    i don't buy the argument. they flubbed the chassis design, and had nowhere else to put the battery and charger. that's my story, and i'm sticking to it.:cool:

Felt likes this.
  6. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The only talk I've heard about the Prime losing mpgs are from those saying that it would have been better to lose a couple and keep the middle seat. Toyota lost the middle seat to its mpgs up. What Toyota said , and what those that were there said left me with the impression that the Prime will have the same fuel economy in hybrid mode as the Prius.

It goes back to the Prime having a battery of twice the PiP's in capacity. It adds more weight; close to 200 pounds. Enough weight that the rear structure would no longer support the weight of a fifth adult in the car. So it would need to be reinforced, adding yet more weight.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    likely because of the stupid wishbone suspension which most 'mainstream' prime buyers would be clueless about. how many people do you think go into a dealership and say, 'don't show me anything without a wishbone suspension'?

Felt likes this.
  8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's true. But what they will feel is the improved ride comfort and handling (even on regular roads). The car doesn't lean as much around corners and bumps are much better absorbed.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    will they? how many people test drove gen 2 and 3, and walked away saying, 'poor handling, i'm sticking with a gas guzzler'?

Jeff N, Felt and markabele like this.
  10. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    A lot of former Prius drivers bought the vehicle because it was the most ecological thing out there, handling and looks be damned. But now with all the cool new toys out over the last few years (PHEVs/BEVs) a lot of those guys are moving up and on.

To expand the Prius Liftback to a larger general audience, bringing the price in line and improving things like handling now may make more sense.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we'll have to agree to disagree. i can see it in the lift back, but not in the phev. all we wind up with is a me too volt, which isn't shaking the world.
    imo, this is one of the dumbest things toyota has ever done, and that's saying something.

12. iplug

iplug Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Just my guess at what they were thinking. Not sure I'm right nor if I am it's the right approach.

bisco likes this.
  13. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Re: Poor Handling
    I am siding with bisco on this point. I put 130,000 miles on my 2010 Prius (IV) I made 5 cross country trip in it (along with all the luggage for an extended trip). I never complained about the handling, or the body lean. When I traded, I was so impressed with the Prius, I opted for it's 'big brother,' the Avalon hybrid. BTW, the lifetime average was over 50 mpg (calculated, recorded every fill-up)

The 2010 had a spare, and room for 5. When I laid the seat down and loaded a heavy object in the rear, I never worried about over-loading the structural system. (I don't recall any discussion of structural issues with the G3 on PC)

When the new Prius arrived, I was so turned-off by it's looks, I will never experience the ride or handling. Now I am told, that the new Prius is not aimed at my genre? Toyota needs to keep it's base, plus bringing new loyalty to the brand. Yes, I did buy Toyota when I went with the TAH, but I am now in the market for a smaller, town car to complement my TAH. Sadly, I am looking elsewhere.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same here. also, i can't help but let some of my personal likes and dislikes cloud my judgement. if we weren't guessing, this wouldn't be priuschat.:p

iplug likes this.
  15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    How many bought a Prius when gas prices were high, but ditched it as soon as prices dropped? The handling was adequate, but was below that of much of the competition. So it became something cited as a reason to pass on the car when people aren't worried about fuel costs.

I believe fuel prices will go back up, but the Prius isn't hurt by Toyota improving the handling.

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    lift back is fine. prime is seriously hurt, possibly wounded mortally.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    New reason (to not buy Model 3)? Solar City
    I now think the solar charging option is what the Prime is all about...we just don't get it here

18. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My understanding is the solar roof only powers a small fan? I hope the Prime is more about something other than the solar charging option.

19. kensiko

kensiko Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Tesla Model S
    Model:
    II
    You won't see a 400v battery being charged with solar panels on a car

20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prime solar option is different and better...see the recent threads...
    the Prime solar option (not available in USA) is a more powerful solar panel with small NiMH battery that (depending on how much sun you want to soak up) can significantly say 10-20% boost your EV miles.

Running a car on sun to the cars roof is certainly clean energy in my book, even if it is just a portion. Except for the fact we don't get the option in America (due apparently to USA roll-over crash regs) that is exciting. I think it helps explain why we have a feeling of emptiness on Prime...we are not getting the design vision.

That solar recharging is basically what I want to do with a Plug-In (wireless, off-grid solar recharging) except my vision was to have panels on the garage roof.

bisco likes this.