1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why I won't buy a Tesla Model 3

Discussion in 'Tesla' started by 4rpr15, Apr 1, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i probably need both.:oops:

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Wait, that's not directed toward me is it? Anyway, I don't care if it is. The fact that Tesla knows it's not the Autopilot that crashed the car also brings up the question of privacy. When Sikes said that his Prius accelerated uncontrollably, Toyota had no way of knowing if he was telling to truth. They had to had the car checked out by a mechanic.
    Tesla on the other hand, knew right away the Autopilot was not involved. This proves that Tesla has constant contact with all of its vehicles, logging data and keep tabs on everything. This brings up another privacy issue. Since Tesla has data on everyone's driving habit, how long do you think the law enforcements want those data and go after every Tesla owners for speeding and running stop signs.

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    oh heavens no - it was towards the magazine's author ... who (imo) was trying to ride the sensationalism of the decapitated model S story.

4. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    It comes with the technology. Tesla doesn't go out and record every single pothole out there (and exact lane markings and whatnot), they collect it in order to use Artificial Intelligence (probably neural nets and machine learning and the such) to improve the accuracy of AutoPilot (and air suspension). I'm sure you could opt out of the data collecting, and be locked out of using the features that take advantage of it.

Law enforcement will not go through the effort to get that data for a simple speeding ticket or running a stop sign due to the time and cost to do so, but might likely use it to determine what happened in severe accidents (especially when the driver claims AutoPilot caused the crash).

5. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    According to various news sources, the driver has a history of speeding. There's probably a dash cam recording of the crash somewhere since he's known to upload autopilot videos to YouTube. Maybe the cops got it and they're withholding it as evidence.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's why i keep within the law. sooner or later, they're gonna get you. that, and it's the right thing to do.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  7. PriusC_Commuter

PriusC_Commuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I keep it within the law because it's simply gotten too expensive for traffic infractions (at least that's my excuse to keep my MPG up). In California a speeding ticket or red light violation can cost upwards of $600. I "accidentally" ran a red in Boston when I was in school borrowing a friend's car to get Five Guys (I didn't realize the car in front of me stopped at the beginning of the yellow since there was a motorcycle cop in front of him, and I thought I could make the yellow by going around), and I was freaking out since my friend had gotten one in California a few weeks prior and it cost him $500 (back around 2011). The cop came back with a ticket that said a violation of $50, and I was completely confused thinking he left off a zero for the last digit. I went to court and luckily got it waived (paying a $25 fee instead), but was able to learn a lesson without leaving me broke at the same time.

bisco likes this.
  8. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    must be nice to live in such a tiny little world. Toyota nearly went bankrupt around 1950, in its early days. So the fact that Tesla in its early days struggled becomes a non sequitur. Even so - go keep rooting for a u.s. company's failure.
    (rolling eyes)
    you're right of course .... EV's are not like our love affair with america's favorite gasser - the ~ 400,000/sales/yr Camry .... Oh, wait ... there are now more paid reservations than that !! Oh well, maybe your next 'truth' will be closer to reality.

#588 hill, Jul 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    actually, he's correct. unfortunately.

10. cproaudio

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Elon Musk confirmed that Autopilot was not even on when the Model X crashed

bisco likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good on him. it's just like u/a and toyota, they all come out of the woodwork, looking for a pay day.

12. FL_Prius_Driver

FL_Prius_Driver Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I design some aspects of aviation autopilot systems. So much is done wrong by both automakers and the government. So here are some of my comments:

1) Calling the present technologies "autopilot" should be outlawed. The profit motive of automakers (Tesla included) can only fool a great many drivers thinking the car can pilot itself. Just like food and drugs must have marketing restrictions for safety, car automation must have marketing restrictions.

2) There will be a "hands on steering wheel" monitoring function. This will be logged...and sound an unstoppable alarm in many cases.

3) Any car with a "sufficient" level of self-guiding technology must have permanent "flight data recording" specified by national legislation. This information should be considered personnel info only obtainable with a court order. Just because Tesla can access it to protect themselves from crooks does not mean that personal information is the property of any corporation. There are rights on both sides of this data.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    honestly, if the term auto pilot is a problem, we have bigger fish to fry.

PriusC_Commuter and Zythryn like this.
  14. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It is not just the term, it is the marketing of very powerful technology that needs regulation. At the end of the day, your auto insurance premiums can skyrocket because of poor government oversight. Remember, we allow 16 year olds behind the wheel. What they are used to having in one car can turn deadly quick when they drive their friend's car and they let go of the steering wheel without thinking.

bisco likes this.
  15. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    I remember once in the 80's of a guy who bought a RV with this new thing called a cruise control.
    When the police asked the guy what happened when it went off the road and turned over, he actually confessed that he got up to go back to the refrigerator to get a beer ! (Oklahoma)

Hey, nothing changes...

kensiko and bisco like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have nothing against government oversight. i just don't think two tesla events should get us too excited.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  17. FL_Prius_Driver

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Agree with that completely. Over 30,000 deaths/year are understood to be caused by driver error. The Tesla events are covered in the media since they can be insinuated to be caused by "the car". That thought direction needs to be fixed, and we cannot depend on media sensationalism to make that happen.

bisco and Trollbait like this.
  18. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My brother has a Tesla S90P. He told me he was driving on the Interstate in the right lane, auto mode, and when he came to an exit, the car started to follow the line into the exit ramp. Otherwise, a fantastic car.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sounds like what it's supposed to do.

20. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    He probably meant, "... and as he was about to pass an exit" ..... which just goes to show you, a car's misinterpretation is pretty much the same thing as people's misinterpretation. If I had a buck for every time I misunderstood what my wife wanted - I'd be driving a signature Model X.

drash and bisco like this.