1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why I'm going to ditch Prius for Subaru

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by violacgda, Sep 5, 2013.

1. violacgda

violacgda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    These are the things I like about my Prius:
    gas mileage
    being able to open the door by touching the handle
    heated seats
    I get free parking at meters in my hometown for having a hybrid. (This is a major convenience!)

What I dislike:
    Ground clearance of 4 inches. I have destroyed the engine shield once by parking in a normal spot at the library, and having it ripped off, another time when the road flooded while I was driving. 4 inches of water was enough to rip off the shield, although I was driving 5 mph (couldn't just park, or the car would have been flooded). This repair will involve replacing the whole bumper. I have now officially lost all gas mileage savings and more in repairs.

Blind spot the size of Rhode Island. I have put little bug-eyes on my side mirrors, but it's still not great.

Brakes do a weird shimmy whenever I hit a bump.

If there is snow on the ground, it shimmies like crazy, and it is scary how long it takes to stop. Of course, if there is more than 3 inches of snow, I can't drive the damned thing without big problems...this car is an absolute HOG on ice when its snows.

The GPS---to update, I have to buy a new disc for almost $300. If I had a Garmin stuck to my dashboard, I could update on the net for free. Clown move, Toyota.

Not a comfortable car. Any drive longer than 120 miles I feel stiff and achey. And I'm not particularly tall. No lower back support, and car bounces harshly.

So I am thinking the Subaru Crosstrek hybrid, when it becomes available. I'm not worried about the decreased mileage figures, as with 7 1/2 inch ground clearance, I won't be paying for ripped up undercarriage repairs. And with all-wheel drive, I should be able to use the vehicle when it snows. If I were happy with the Prius, I would think its appearance was cool. But as is, I think it is squat and unattractive.

Redpoint5, mmmodem and JMD like this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Enjoy your Subaru. :D

SCH-I535

Nora likes this.
  3. ursle

ursle Gas miser

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    5.5" is the minimum ground clearance
    Get studs for winter
    Clean the mud off your wheels(shimmy)
    It's stiff, because stiff isn't wasting energy as much as soft, get a lumbar support
    But if you must(get a gas guzzler), don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya;)

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Meanwhile, my old Subaru ('97) is parked with the dreaded 'torque-bind' problem, while I deliberate an expensive repair-or-replace choice. And its still has the original head gasket, unlike the Subies of similar vintage of any of my friends. And it has $everal other aging problem$.

On the repair cost front, as it ages it is turning out to be very expen$ive, quite unlike the Accord that preceded my Prius.

5. violacgda

violacgda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No, the ground clearance is a little more than 4 inches. I laid down in the driveway and measured it after the first time my shield got ripped off. The shimmy has nothing to do with mud---any large pothole on a sunny day will do the trick. Yeah, I could get studs---but I don't live in the far north, so wouldn't be so great except on snow days. And when it does snow, studs don't help in more than 3 1/2 inches of snow, as the snow is hitting the undercarriage. And I wouldn't call a hybrid which gets mid 30's mpg exactly a gas guzzler.

BrianPB and JeffHastings like this.
  6. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    ChipL likes this.
  7. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No car suited everyone. The Prius is available now I think and has been for over 10 years. Toyota won't cry a whole lot when you switch, they part own Subaru. Enjoy the Subaru, they make a pretty good car.

8. CdotK

CdotK Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Subarus are sweet in the winter no doubt! have fun and dont be too confident... they are good in the snow but i see my far share of them crashed here in UT!

Quentin likes this.
  9. violacgda

violacgda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No problem. Don't have any desire to make Toyota cry...just want a hybrid which can perform in snow, and not have all the other problems I mentioned.

10. violacgda

violacgda Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I hear you. 4WD and AWD does not mean you are bulletproof. But would like to be able to go to work on snow days...which I could not do in my Prius...I am a physician. Had to get someone with a Honda CRV to loan me their car, as we do not close, except for major storms.

11. Bill the Engineer

Bill the Engineer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Make sure you sell your Prius to someone who will enjoy it.

12. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Prius is not the perfect car for everyone in every situation for sure. Where I work in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada range, most people drive Subarus because of the clearance, traction, off-road capability etc.. Great gas mileage is awesome but not if you have to give up too much. The new Subarus look great too.

13. VicVinegar

VicVinegar Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have one of each. And I'll note I took the Prius down a dirt logging road last weekend and it did fine. It wasn't "charge ahead at speed", but I didn't bottom out all over the place either.

14. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The Prius is not for everyone. Hopefully the Subaru works out for you.

15. iClaudius

iClaudius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Because you want a Subaru since all the other reasons are suspect. I ski 30 days a year and drive long distances to do it, over mountain passes in blizzards, Michelin Xices and Prius does just fine. Haven't ripped anything off in snowed in parking lots that see F150's wheel spinning as a plow on by. Only thing I did was go with 205 snows to get an extra 0.5" ground clearance to full 6".

The non-power seats are torture (have to get out and stretch every hour) but I can fix that by making sure my 2015 hybrid extended EV has power seats. For extended snow driving, I do think 6" is wise and I can get that with the Prius.

JonWaters, kenoarto and Daddyjeph like this.
  16. SuperGLS

SuperGLS Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I agree not every car is for everybody.

Happy to hear you visit the library though!

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...believe Viola is saying the Suburu Hybrid when available ...do we know MPG on that one?

18. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I drive up and down the Rocky Mountains every day and have a seasons pass for skiing which means mountain passes all the time in snow. If there is a blizzard in the mountains, I drive towards it so I can have a powder day!

The Prius with some X-ICE2 tires is just fine. I make it up and down passes. And your 4inches of clearance is wrong. Perhaps your car is lowered or something. With winter driving, it is almost all technique.

kenoarto likes this.
  19. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    ggood and wjtracy like this.
  20. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ^^^MPG not too shabby ...always loved the look of those Subaru wagons (never had one tho)