1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is it bad to unplug before charging cycle is complete?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Coreyart, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Coreyart

Coreyart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had to do this last week when the cycle was around 1/2 complete. My estimated EV mode fell by 1 mile after that, and hasn't gone back up to where it originally was. Any help/explanations would be appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it isn't bad, where did you hear that? it isn't in the o/m. the ev estimate has little to do with your available ev battery storage power. it is not a measure of battery capacity.
    it's just a bunch of mathematical calculations based on numerous factors from past driving, charging, weather and etc. as you drive more, it will go up, down and even sideways sometimes. ignore it and enjoy your pip.
    if you went out everyday on the same trip, you would find that the only difference in ev miles is weather related. no matter what the range estimator predicts.

#2 bisco, Jun 21, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No worse than adding only partly filling the gas tank. My EV estimated range is different every time I drive. It runs between 11.9 and 12.7.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    At least you're not leaving room for condensation in the battery. :p

5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ROFLOL!!! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

6. Coreyart

Coreyart Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Bisco, that makes sense.
    What's everyone's opinion on if it's better to charge just b4 driving, as opposed to the night b4?
    I know what the manual says, but there may be different real world results.

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's a good question. I prefer to charge just before leaving or reasonably close, especially at work where the car is out in the sun. My wife said, "What if we have to go somewhere unexpectedly?" I told her we'd get in it and drive it like a regular Prius and only get 50-60 mpg. :D So, I use the timer to have it charged up when I'm ready to go to work or head home from work. On weekends, it's a little more of a puzzle. Usually, I'll have a partial charge and, if there's time, I'll add some electrons before leaving on a sudden errand. If not, I just go and don't worry about it. It's still blowing away everything else on the road but a Prime or maybe the regular Gen 4 depending on the driver.

Raytheeagle, bisco and markabele like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's exactly how i do it. opinions are all over the place, but we don't have any actual data. assuming toyota has done the long term testing, i like to err on the side of caution. others leave it charged all the time.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. Yea Right

Yea Right Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm just lazy and plug it in when I park it. Then when its time to leave, I always leave with a full charge.

10. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I recall something about using the timer for charging in cold weather to have the battery warmed up when you start. The greater impact is when there is time of use rates and the timer can be used to charge at the lowest cost time periods. But remember that the timer has to be turned on for each use. Otherwise the car will start charging when plugged in.

11. hackenfort

hackenfort Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I typically charge just before leaving for work, but on the week-ends I often plug in for just a quick partial charge with out any issues,

I typically in the summer get 13.1 13.5 out of a full charge, Best part of all, my solar power system is complete, just waiting on the power company to change out my meter, then I'm sun powered on the road.

giora and jerrymildred like this.