1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is it so hard to get genuine buyers for my lovely Prius car?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by LOVINGTHEGIFT.COM, Mar 5, 2023.

1. LOVINGTHEGIFT.COM

LOVINGTHEGIFT.COM Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Alpha
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had dozens of messages and calls about my car. I could write a book! So many timewasters and people making stupid offers. It is a great family car, not a taxi, recent new Toyota hybrid battery, yet they all think its a taxi. PCO expired June 2020. I have had car 3 years. Why is it such a challenge?
    just gone on ebay now

Facebook marketplace is the worst for time wasters!

“CAR WILL LAST YOU 10 YEARS IF YOU LOOK AFTER IT LIKE I HAVE. TOYOTA HYBRID BATTERY IS 16 MONTHS OLD. SEE PICS AND VIDEO: GREAT CONDITION MECHANICALLY, LOOKED AFTER AND DRIVEN WITH LOVE FOR PAST 3 YEARS, A FEW AGE RELATED MARKS AND SCUFFS ETC FIRST TO SEE WILL BUY, SIMILAR ONES SELLING FOR £11,000 TO £13,000 ON EBAY. 5 SEAT JAPANESE ALPHA PRIUS PLUS MODEL SO MASSIVE BOOT. LONDON PCO EXPIRED IN 2020. NOT USED AS TAXI SINCE. IMPORTED IN 2019 BY PREVIOUS OWNER. UK SPEC CAR, FULLY LOADED. REVERSE SENSORS/CAMERA: MAKES PARKING EASY. LOVELY INTERIOR, USB POINTS ETC, SAT NAV ETC. SEE IN GRAYS, ESSEX, NEAR LAKESIDE RM16 OR ROMFORD RM7 7BH TEXT ME: 0797 3317402 NO SCAMMERS OR TIMEWASTERS PLEASE."

GREAT FAMILY CAR BIG BOOT, SAFE GOOD LOOKING CLEAN NICE LEATHER LOOK SEATS REAR CAMERA & PARKING SENSORS RELIABLE LOTS OF FEATURES NOT USED AS A TAXI since June 2020. Owned this for 3 years now, selling due to downsizing. Private family use. 76K MILES, 2 PREVIOUS OWNERS, 2014 MODEL, will reveal reg plate to serious enquiries who will come and view car. Careful driver so no crazy driving. Prius new recent 2021 UK Toyota Dealer fitted Hybrid battery Fully loaded All mod cons Great condition PRIUS PLUS 3RD GEN ICON +CVT MOT to November 2023. SOME RECENT TOYOTA MAIN DEALER SERVICE HISTORY to 2021 video: ITS A 5 SEAT PRIUS PLUS WITH EXTRA BIG BOOT so great for airport runs and lots of luggage. (Jap. Alpha model)
    NO OFFERS. FIRST TO SEE WILL BUY This is an amazing comfy super reliable car, big boot space car Recently -last 2 years spent £3000:eek:n new Toyota dealer hybrid battery, 4 recent tyres, dealer serviced 2020/ 2021 All documents & receipts with car. No timewasters or silly offers. Last price £9k not a penny less so please don't waste your time. £8,995 REDUCED FROM £11K NO OFFERS! View in RM7 7BH today or RM16 2XP near Romford or Thurrock Lakeside Essex. Number plate was changed last year by DVLA so old plate is shown in pic: all documents with car. New Reg Plate will be revealed to serious enquiries who come and view car. SEE IN GRAYS, ESSEX, NEAR LAKESIDE RM16 OR ROMFORD RM7 7BH TEXT ME: 0797 3317402 NO SCAMMERS OR TIMEWASTERS PLEASE.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yep you get lots of calls and low offers . It's used compact car .takes time

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if your asking price is in line with commercial auto valuations, it should sell quickly, unless prius are no longer in favour over there

4. AbstractGeo

AbstractGeo Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Hello!

You may have more luck if you don't write your advertisement in all capital letters. It might seem silly, but, those things do make a difference. To be blunt: my initial assumption, if I see a listing WRITTEN LIKE THIS, is that the seller is a fair bit older than me (> 42), and may not be particularly tech saavy or responsive to text communications. I may also assume that they're somewhat less likely to be good at maintenance etc.

Would this be a show-stopper for me? No, probably not. But if I'm looking at a lot of listings, first impressions do matter.

Yes, it would be more polite for me to not share these preconceptions with you, but, I'm certain I'm not the only one with these preconceptions, and I want to help you get the best experience you can!

L82thePRTY, Foxglove and bisco like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    any luck?

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    These are 3 separate ads? Do the first and last not disclose the car’s year? Maybe I need some coffee.

Impression: too wordy, describes the seller more than the car, too much extraneous detail, and puts me off with its “enthusiasm”.

7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Somebody needs to hide your capslock key and charge you 5x as much per word. Under those constraints you might make a great ad. Guaranteed to be more readable, anyway.

Also consider offline ads. Sure, they won't reach nearly as far but you tend to get much more genuine responses from paper ads posted on the bulletin boards in churches, grocery markets and the like.