1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is it so hard to keep the level of charge in the battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by luvmypriushybrid, Jul 10, 2011.

1. luvmypriushybrid

luvmypriushybrid Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    First off, I LOVE my 2010 Prius. According to Toyota, the system is suppose to help keep the hybrid battery charge at a constant level.
    When driving around town, that doesn't seem to be the case.
    Could it be because I try to use the traction motor as much as possible? And by doing this, I am not giving the battery enough time to charge?

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    100% factually incorrect and would defeat the purpose of a hybrid vehicle entirely. The only way to keep a constant charge in a battery pack is to not use it. The car uses it as it wants to. It will maintain it between 40% and 80% automatically. 40% = 1 bar, 80% = all full bars.

DO NOT try to use the traction battery as much as possible. That will hurt your mileage except if you have a plug in conversion installed. All battery charge comes from the gas engine, and the less you use the batteries the better. You want the gas engine to accelerate you to speed, and then just glide with no arrows on the energy monitor which uses the battery just to run all the accessories with the engine off. This will yield the best mpg over the largest range of terrain and speeds under 50mph-ish.

Your car is acting normal, and you are actually making your miles per gallon worse then it could be by trying to hard.

2 people like this.
  3. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This idea may come from the idea that the car has a favorite spot for the battery level (around 60%). It will be more likely to use charge if above that level and more likely to store it if below.

4. luvmypriushybrid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

You have a 2006 Prius, and from what I have heard, it is easier to manipulate the gas pedal so you can glide on absolutely nothing and with no arrows on the screen at all.
    For the third generation Prius, it is SO much harder to do that...trust me, I have tried countless number of times.

According to the 2010 Toyota Prius Owner's Manual, it states the following:
    When the desired speed is reached: Release the accelerator pedal once. Then depress the accelerator pedal slowly and drive at a constant speed, keeping the indicator bar within the Eco area.
    When aiming to improve fuel economy, try to drive within the Hybrid Eco area. By doing so, the drive force of the electric motor (traction motor) will often be used alone without the need for fuel consumption, thus allowing you to enjoy driving with improved fuel economy.

5. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I agree with all the above about keeping the battery at a constant charge.

Actually, I am amazed the Prius battery management is so effective. I never worry about it; never try to circumvent it's usage or charging. It is a small battery, and appears to be exactly where the designers wanted it within the design criteria. It appears to be in near perfect balance with the ICE, MG1 and 2, weight, long life expectancy, tire and wind drag ........ and 50 mpg.

The design criteria did not dictate a 150 mph vehicle; or 0-60 in 5 seconds; or extended EV range ... to name just a few. Change any of the design criteria, and the current Prius is no longer a "balanced design." Competition will eventually cause the design criteria tio change .... such changes will dictate changes in the ICE, MG's and battery .... and etc.

I am absolutely convinced ... and comfortable, with the thought that the G3 Prius is not the "ultimate" design. It is not the "final," "end-all" design. There is still room for evolution of the Prius; and the G4 will be as big an imporvement on the G3 as the G3 was over the G2.

6. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree that the battery management is very efficient. When my wife uses the car, she always brings it back with a full battery, she doesn't understand the concept of coasting ....

1 person likes this.
  7. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The actual energy expenditures are similar. The display of that info is not. In the G3, there is very little hysteresis whereas the G2 has a much larger hysteresis. Meaning it shows no energy transfer for values +/- X in the G2 versus +/- Y in the G3 where X >>> Y.

While driving on electric only during your glide will up your instantaneous mpg, as explained above it is not beneficial unless you are trying to deplete the pack because you expect to replenish it immediately after with a long regen period. Trying not to use it is still the best policy.

The Japanese (namely Honda and Toyota) have been experimenting with supplemental GPS based engine management systems. So your Gen Whatever will know you are climbing a hill of a mountain and in 0.25km you will reach the crest and then descend 1km or something like that. So it will automatically deplete the pack around the crest, in anticipation of it filling back up.

8. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ignore the arrow display on the Gen III. Switch to the HSI screen and stay within the 1/8th of the left side of the ECO bar for gliding. See http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii-2010-prius-main-forum/89230-pulse-elusive-glide.html

9. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    On GenIII, ditch the arrow screen. Use the HSI screen, where a 'perfect' glide is very easy.

Perfection on the arrow screen probably requires something like 0.001% accuracy, which is absurdly unnecessary. The HSI screen uses much more reasonable rounding to get close enough.

10. citiboi

citiboi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah.. it is so difficult to hypermile on the G3.

Btw, the maximum charge that I have managed on the hybrid battery is 6 bars and not 8 bars. Is that normal?

Thanks.

11. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Actually i think the Toyota reccomendation (ease off, and then reapply to stay in stealth) makes sense. I ran some quick (and estimated) numbers. here are my suppositions:

Below about 10kw of power (12hp or so) the prius ICE is about 20% efficient.
    Above 10kw the prius ICE is 35% efficienct
    A gallon of gas hold 36.6kwh of energy
    Driving in town requires less than 10kw of power.
    Power coming from MG1 through the inverter is 90% efficient.
    Power is stored in the battery with 90% efficiency.
    Power is extracted from the battery with 90% efficiency.

This model says using the ICE in town (just 36.6kwh*20%) gets you 7.32kwh from your gallon of gas. If however you rely on the battery (and when the car recharges the total power coming out of the ICE [for charging and your current driving] is over 10kw) the formula is 36.6kwh*35%ICE efficiency*90%inverter loss*90%battery store loss*90%battery retrieve loss gets you 9.34kwh from your gallon of gas.

OK, it's a very simple model, and i'm sure there's some better data available for the various losses, but it makes me believe that Toyota are right, and that if you can drive in stealth, you should. the exception here is pulse and glide, where you can just use 35% efficient ICE for powerful pulses, and then glide. that's not always possible or practical though, and passengers don't tend to like it.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your terrain is flat, and you don't have any glides down exit ramps of high speed highways, then that would be normal.

We usually need mountain descents to get 8 bars. On flat land, I sometimes see 7 bars during cold weather warmup. Your weather never gets that cold.

1 person likes this.
  13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    But if you are driving slowly enough to where stealth mode is better, then you aren't driving at > 10kwh to get the 35%. You would need to drive hard to recharge the pack back up so that you could drive slowly again in stealth. And this sounds an awful lot like pulse-n-glide. ;)

14. Flaninacupboard

Flaninacupboard Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe that if you're doing 30mph in stealth, and run down to 2 bars (ow whatever the setpoint is) the engine will come on to push you at 30mph -and- charge the battery, and that the power output will be over 10kw. Someone with a scangauge would need to confirm that.

And yes, it is like pulse and glide, but you're storing the energy in the battery rather than in your momentum. The Sonata hybrid behaves in this way on purpose, even at highway speeds.

15. luvmypriushybrid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I drive 6 miles on the highway in the mornings, one way, and when I get off the interstate, my maximum charge has always been 7 bars and no higher.
    The Prius doesn't want it's battery to be fully charged with 8 bars because it wants to leave room for any regen that might occur...also 8 bars would be just to high of a charge, leading to a shorter battery life.
    So yes that is normal...

16. luvmypriushybrid

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

DAMN!!! That is a lot of great information...thank you. I don't know what else to say because, uh...f*ck! Damn you are smart! :eek:

I have tried pulse and glide, but because of the traffic down here in South Florida, it is nearly impossible. I should go out late at night sometime and try working on the pulse and glide...there are some really good videos on Youtube that show how to do it correctly.
    When I am city driving and it is time to charge the battery, I bring up the Energy Monitor screen...then I get my speed up to between 35-45 and make sure the whole time I am driving, I am keeping one arrow showing Prius being powered by the engine and one arrow showing Prius is charging the battery...making sure not to use any of the energy so the battery can charge quicker.
    Is that any good?