1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is it so hard to locate a car!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by gregzgurl, Jan 24, 2008.

1. gregzgurl

gregzgurl New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    AMEN! Thanks MarkMN...I was starting to think I was the crazy one. I just got back from dinner where I watched servers bend over backwards for a $10.00 bill. I dont think its too much to ask considering this is a $25,000 purchase!

Your experience seems like how it should be. The dealers I had talked to earlier in the week seemed to be doing it backwards and wouldnt even talk to me without money. But I've since found some great dealers who have done more than I had expected. And really I wasnt expecting much...just honesty...that's it.

But anyways, thanks again! :D

2. blamy

blamy Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Try Lighthouse Toyota in St. Augustine Fl. Excellent internet service and they have a lot to choose from. We went in today at 4:30 and got home at 8:30 (includes 45 min drive each way) and NO hassles. they were true to their word and were extremly generous in their trade in allowance.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dudette,
    Cool...cause down here its combat like. Yes of course its refundable. You can get it in writing if worried stating scouting/delivery time or you walk but I know some Toy salesman and they say the amount of lookyloo's coming in & asking questions about the Prius and then never coming back is very very high.
    Lots of people come in looking at the Camry and then all of a sudden discover how cool the Prius is (like they never saw one before and oh my you DON"T have to plug it in???) and then for them begins a long long chat about the Prius. So I guess there a little cranky about tire kicking Prius customers. I knew what I wanted including color in & out & package so did not waste one second asking questions except when & how much. Also I put the $ 500 down on my AM EX so if they want to get stupid its one call to AM EX and its done. Good luck!

4. perryma

perryma New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    My best luck was with cars.com . I also stopped people that owned them and asked if they wanted to sell.

5. twotoejoe

twotoejoe New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hey,

Check out Edmunds.com. and check out my long post on "Whaaa Whoo". I got the 2008 package 2 for $21,314. That was $3000 off the sticker.

6. Codyroo

Codyroo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've always been amazed about this little observation, why is it that the two most expensive items we purchase (cars and houses) are the two most dreaded purchases? Honestly, if you were to go into a clothing store and drop $5000, they'd be falling all over you with customer service. Not so in a car dealership (typical). I guess it's because you are only purchasing a single car (I've never been in a situation where I've purchased 20 cars, I'll bet the dealership salesmen would fall all over themselves if you came in and did that).

Anyhow, it is what it is.

Oh, gregzgurl, 2 things when it comes time to purchase the car

1) You might want to do an internet purchase. Shop around, you should be able to get a good price without any of the time wasting, stress inducing haggling of price. Now some people get a kick out of negotiating prices....I do not, some sort of power trip thing....

2) If you do negotiate a price, but don't purchase it and drive it off that day, get a photocopy of the 4 square paper that you negotiated. Make sure they circle the final price (so it is clear what was agreed to). You might find it easier to negotiate an "out the door price" which includes tax, license, dealer fees etc. So, $26,500 is $26,500, not $26,500 + 8% tax + $600 license + $500 dealer fees. Make sure that the Out the Door price is on the photocopied paper too. There are other threads on this site that will warn you about them "losing" this paper and wanting to renegotiate.