1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is it that, at least in the NW, you guys

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Insidious, Sep 10, 2010.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Laws, "left lane for passing" and signage sure doesn't seem to stop WA state drivers from camping out below the speed limit in the "passing lane" for no apparent reason. (I lived up here in WA from 1997 to 2004 and came back in late 2009.)

Apparently, sometime in 2008 (I believe), the Washington State Patrol started cracking down on such camping (If "Left-Lane Campers" Don't Get the Message, They Could Get a Ticket and Left-lane slowpokes drive you crazy? - MSN Money from 2008). It took them long enough but it seems like it's only marginally helped. There are still too many fast lane campers along w/bad drivers.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Let us, just for a moment, decide every single post above is correct.

Seattle's traffic has been odd since the 60's, the OP has been held up by traffic in front of him driving in a way he does not approve of, and for some reason the drivers holding him up all seem to be Prius.

What could we conclude? A conspiracy of good driving.

TRAFFIC WAVE EXPERIMENTS

Now we return you to your regularly scheduled trolling.

3. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, we can only conclude that PRIUS DRIVERS HAVE THE POWER OF TIME TRAVEL.

Yes, we went back to the 60s using the flux capacitor in our Prii (option package #3) just to screw up Seattle traffic.

4. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Back to the Future I and II was on tv today, definately watched that.

I would trade my prius and a lung for a hoverboard tomorrow... According to the movie, it is only 5 years and a month until we have flying cars and hoverboards. Jetsons lied to us, Doc Brown better not...

5. Nandros

Nandros Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had the opinion that “left lane driving†was a local phenomenon, but it seems I was wrong.
    The law clearly mandates, since the very beginning, “drive right – pass leftâ€. Special cases are mentioned/clarified in other parts.
    There is a lame excuse for not using the right lane because of the manholes and damage/ undulations caused by the heavy traffic (trucks, buses, etc). This may be true when city roads are involved, but not true in the highways, where there are neither manholes nor signals that will force the heavy traffic to slow down and “push†the tarmac.

According to my opinion the left lane is used by bad, inexperienced drivers. These people have no notion of the dimensions of their car. They do not know where the right side ends and are afraid that will ride the curb. So they prefer the left lane, because they can see easily where the left end of the tarmac is!
    They have their attention focused ahead only. They do not know/not care for what is happening behind or on their right side. The mirrors provided by the manufacturer are Terra incognita!
    You guys/gals out there! The driving is a very serious and dangerous business. The car is a complicated tool. You should not compare it with your screwdriver, pen, computer or kitchen-tool!
    Driving needs a lot and continuous reading, before and after the driving test to get your license, application of experience and learning from the mistakes, yours or others.
    For the new drivers: Until you get the experience needed please stay on the right lane, keep safe distance from the car ahead and USE your signals/mirrors.
    For the experienced ones: Please use the right lane, overpass on the left lane and return back to the right, TO PROVE THAT YOU ARE A GOOD DRIVER!
    For everybody: Do NOT hypermile when the traffic conditions are against it. Do NOT create road rage.
    If the other drivers wish to speed over the limit on the second or third lane let them be. It is traffic police job to deal with them.
    Make clear to the other drivers for your intentions before turn/slow/stop/etc. Do NOT endanger yourselves and/or the other drivers safe.

Bisco said: it is our mission, nay, our mandate, to slow America to a crawl, etc,etc. I will disagree with you my friend. Forcing the others to do something against their convictions/will is NOT democratic. I am sure that you do NOT wish to be compared with those fanatic fundamentalists (Islamists, Christians, Fascists, Racists, Environmentalists, Misogamists, etc, who believe that anybody not sharing the same ideas must be punished/die/burn in hell). Can you convince the others that you are correct? Go ahead, otherwise let it be.

Above are said after 43 years of driving experience (I am 58 years old and yes, I started to drive when I was 15) and with no intention to insult anybody.

Nandros

1 person likes this.
  6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If only everyone drove as well as the rest of us, the world would be a much better place.

When I first moved to Seattle from Boston it was a welcome change from being surrounded by homicidal drivers to safer suicidal drivers.

My tactics are to stay as far away from other vehicles as possible and choose lanes accordingly.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    is it too late to reply to nandros?

9. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    So you are cribbing that others are breaking the law - while proudly proclaiming that you wanted to break the law, but couldn't ?

I've found Seattle drivers to be considerate towards fellow humans - actually allowing you to merge unlike other cities where drivers are maniacal and insist on breaking the law all the time.