1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is my refuse to start for a while (10min approx)

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by @Peri, Feb 5, 2017.

1. @Peri

@Peri New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    It might have answered before.
    New member here.
    I recently changed my high voltage battery with a rebuild one.
    After couple of days the problem started.
    It refuses to start at times, it will start after trying in several ways.
    Once it got started it runs perfect.
    Please help me to solve this.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you change it yourself? Were the cells balanced? Is it really cold where you are? Are you getting codes?

We aren't answering because mostly we don't know, but also info is a little thin.

3. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When you say "start", do you mean the engine does not start, or the vehicle refuses to move?

I ask, because a Prius will not necessarily operate the ENGINE at all, unless coolant temp/load/HV pack voltage demand it. With a new HV pack, it is likely that the engine would not be started when you press the ON button.

4. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    What about the 12 V battery and it's connections ?
    What exactly happens when "it won't start" ??

5. @Peri

@Peri New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I didn't do it myself, I went to a shop for that.. I don't know anything about it, (cells ballenced)
    I am living in California bay area, it is not that cold here.
    I am not getting any codes.
    When I plug in the key and turn it to on position I saw only 3 lights ( check sign, abs sign, temperature in blue )
    I try to start but the car doesn't turn on, I try it for several times then it turns on.
    It takes around 10 minutes.
    Also
    When I accidentally try to off the car when the gear is in D position, it only turn for one step realizing that I put it back to P and takes the key out.
    Here when I try to start it back immediately or after a while, it won't start all the signs will decrease there intensity.
    It may take 15 or 20 minutes to start it again

6. @Peri

@Peri New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    In both the cases there won't be any problem once it starts. Runs smoothly like all the cars

7. GreenJuice

GreenJuice Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you have posted your question in the wrong place. This place is for the Gen4 Toyota Prius.

AFAIK you do not 'plug in the key and turn it to on position' nor do you 'take the key out'. There is no 'temperature in blue' display.

Hope that helps

8. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been seeing it in the Gen 1 section. On a Gen 1, there is a key that one uses. And there is a blue temp (cold) light on the dash.

I think, referring to the OP, that I'd go back to the shop that installed the traction battery replacement. Changing the hybrid battery shouldn't by itself cause a problem. You may have a weak aux battery, tho, it operates the relays and solenoids that allow the motor to start. When if fails to start, check the battery in the trunk with a multimeter. It should be well above 12v. You can test this hypothesis by carefully! use a jumper cable and a known good car battery (or one of those booster batteries) to try to get the car started. Carefully=pay close attention to battery polarities--failure to do so can blow a main fuse & a bunch of little ones, too.

#8 Brian in Tucson, Feb 6, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2017