1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is the charging port in back?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Rebound, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Leaf is awesome, but my daily commute is 75 miles roundtrip. That's just too close to the maximum for me to feel comfortable. Some days, I drive to customer meetings or elsewhere, and I'm not ok with the idea that the car dies after 100 miles. If I had a 4-car garage and other cars, it wouldn't matter but the Prius is my car. I want to be able to add gas when needed.

2. vintagebob

vintagebob Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The obvious answer is to have a port on each end...

3. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Hoo boy. So many ... replies! :rolleyes: IRUN, hold me back LOL!

4. crewdog

crewdog Acting Ensign Prius Prime

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I seem to remember from my Navy days of aircraft line duty that electric input ports are generally situated on the other side of the fuselage from the refueling ports by design.

Perhaps to minimize threat of inadvertant sparking.

I can see pulling up to a full-service pump, in the 2 states that mandate full service, and having someone try and put gas in the charrging port.

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This quote from a Volt owner yesterday may provide a little bit of enlightenment on the topic: "Today I got a ticket for parallel parking in front of my house with the car pointed against the flow of traffic. $45 down the drain, all because the charge-port is on the wrong side of the car. Grumble grumble grumble."

GE has been promoting their sidewalk charging-station. When you parallel park in our market, it's almost always with the passenger-side to the sidewalk... which just happens to be where the charge-port is on Prius, but not on Volt.

We'll find out as time goes on. At first, I will very likely have the charging-stations at work all to myself. So, no one will care how I park. Convenience of front or back may become apparent later. Put it this way, if I had to lay the cord over the vehicle to cross it, back would be perferred.

1 person likes this.
  6. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Many people are doing fine w 75 mile round trip commutes with a Leaf.
    You might have to slow down to 60MPH, or if you had some charging at work, no problem.

I'm considering selling my 2010 Prius and going Leaf only. I have an old 1994 Suburban I plow the driveway with, that can be my backup to the Leaf. Only gets 12MPG, but I don't see using it more than a few times a year, besides plowing snow.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Problem with that is that it would increase the weight and cost beyond putting it in the front...
    I'm going to partly disagree w/mitch672. From what I've seen on MNL, 75 miles roundtrip on a Leaf if there's no way to charge at work is cutting it too close for comfort. You will almost certainly need to slow down on the highway.

Also, to me, one would need to allow for some buffer/slack in the event of a traffic jam, high heater or AC use, battery degradation (esp. since nobody's had one for >1 year), taking a detour/alternate route.

I live very far from everything and there's a possibility that I could take a job that's 70+ miles roundtrip...

I used to work 24 miles one away from home (I'd do 68-74 on the highway and I wasn't the speed demon either) and would stop to get things on the way home everyday. I'd feel comfortable w/that in the Leaf but not too far beyond it.

8. gramps

gramps Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here (I am going to break out the tape measure to confirm)
    I was expecting a chord of 10-12 feet.24 feet would reach from the front left wall around the car.
    I would rather back into a charging station parking spot than my garage. Even with my back up camera it is hard to avoid unexpected junk that always ends up on the garage floor and if I hit my garage door side wall it can't be taken to the body shop. It would embarrassing to tell my friends and family I hit my house with my car sober.

9. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Because it was designed in the Penn State athletic department..

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    :doh:

11. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I keep getting in trouble with my wife tonight while reading PriusChat in bed while she is (trying to) sleep next to me. I keep bursting out laughing... :)

Ken Blake likes this.
  12. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Would like to comment on the earlier discussion on backing up into the parking spot to gain access to the charging station.

Take a look at this picture posted by DaveinOlyWA in the thread http://priuschat.com/forums/toyota-prius-plug-in/100363-240v-home-charger-11.html#post1430771

I have seen how short these charging cables are, and the only way to gain access to the charging station is to back up the car. But then you will be facing the wrong way of traffic.

Any suggestions from Toyota? (I guess you can always slide the cable under the car ...)

13. radiocycle

radiocycle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is this a ONE-WAY street??

14. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    EV charging infrastructure is being built as we speak.

Leaf has the port in front
    Volt has the port in front
    Ford uses the front

How can infrastructure be built to support any manner of random charging port locations?

I found a story that Ford actually researched location and (gasp!) asked their customers:

The team used market research to find out how customers expected to charge up. The research showed most customers would charge their vehicle at home, which was helpful in determining the best place for the port. Feedback also indicated the location should be kept out of areas with high risk of damage in the event of small crashes. This was a driving factor, Ford says, in the choice of the side of the vehicle rather than the front or rear.

To meet customer usage patterns, engineers considered the driver side, the passenger side and the front and rear of the vehicle. Placement in the front could have created problems with customers having to bend down to plug in or out, snow packing, dead insects or debris, and potential damage from car accidents. The rear of the vehicle would have invited the same issue, with damage from fender benders, as well as less accessibility when trying to connect to a charging station. Incidentally, Chevrolet chose the same location for their charging port on the Chevrolet Volt.

“The left front fender location keeps the charge port in sight, before the customer enters or exits the car, for an easy reminder to unplug or recharge,” said Mary Smith, Ford Electrified Vehicle Technology Integration supervisor. “It creates an intuitive placement for owners that also has aesthetic appeal.”​

15. greenleaf

greenleaf Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Conversely, the rear passenger side is the worst...

16. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    ya i posted SEVERAL pics on the 240 volt thread as well. the blink pic above is unusual that the charger is placed on the side of the space. nearly all other chargers has the unit centered in front of the space so you can plug on either side of the car. as far as length most have 20-25 foot cables which is long enough to reach the parking spaces on each side as well

Dept of Ecology

[​IMG]

LOTT Treatment Plant

[​IMG]

with the units centered the plug can reach either side

no its not one way but the the direction from the left is the most accessible. you can drive around the block and come the other way...

but i had some concerns that right in front was an easy place to damage in accident as well and to be honest with ya, the plug in my garage is in the back but on drivers side. (the other side would have been a disaster...but with back up camera i would be ok, but SO would NEVER park in garage if she had to back in

17. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As we used to say: What's the plural of idiot? Focus group.

18. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good thing for backup cameras on all PiPs :)

19. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed! I am really forward to having that as an upgrade.

20. lensovet

lensovet former BP Brigade 207

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    note that the aversion to backing into spots is a US anomaly, and pulling forward into spots is actually considered bad almost everywhere else in the world. the PIP is being made a worldwide model with minimal modifications between regions, so it made sense to put the plug where it is.

1 person likes this.