1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Why is the charging port in back?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Rebound, Nov 18, 2011.

1. evnow

evnow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm ... Where-ever I've lived outside the US, most people pull forward.

BTW, IMO, the main reason why Leaf has charging in the front, instead of the side, is because it has 2 ports - L2 & the CHAdeMO.

2. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Tesla Roadster has it on the driver's side, slightly behind the driver's door but in front of the trunk. And the car won't go with the plug door open.

That's where the Xebra had it. Very bad spot. I did some slight damage when I once started to back up while plugged in.

The electric Porsche had it on the right front fender, since the conversion shop just used the gas filler port door as a convenient place to put the plug. In my garage, that meant running the cable over the hood, so there was no chance of driving away with it plugged in.

I'm inclined to think the front and back bumpers are bad locations since that's the most likely place for fender benders.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i already have the hooks in place in my garage ceiling so i can drape the charging cord over the drivers door. that way, i can't forget to unplug.:rockon:

4. longterm

longterm Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not at all practical with a driveway like mine, where it's a very steep drive with a sharp right-hand turn at the end.

I'm very disappointed in the placement of the power port; I have no doubt that the decision was based on cost rather than weight (no matter what Toyota might tell us); this means that every time I get in or out of the car, I'll have to walk around to the other side to deal with the charge cable.

It would have made much more sense to have the power port on the driver's side, since the driver will always be present when getting in or out of the car.

Does anyone know the length of the charge cable? Is it as long or longer than the car itself? My circuit panel is at the front left head of where the car will be parked, which means I'll need at least 1-1/2 times the length of the Prius to reach the charge port.

My order # is 385, will be picking my car up in Alexandria, Virginia from Jack Taylor Toyota.

5. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think in either situation you have to look at convenience. my Zenn Also had the plug on rear panel on PASSENGER side. for an extended Range hybrid; ok, i can see that. gas on one side, EV on the other, but EV would be used more and i would prefer it be on driver's side.

for an EV like Daniel's and my NEV< there is no excuse other than laziness or to save money from an existing design. i thought it sucked too to have to walk around the car to plug in especially when it was pouring down rain on those rare Pacific Northwest days

6. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I read here somewhere (I'd search and link to it, but I dont have enough posts) that the cable is 24 feet.

7. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yeah, the 120V that comes with the PiP is 24 feet, and the 240V Leviton charger is 18 feet.

1 person likes this.
  8. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This doesn't make any sense. If you get hit from behind, especially on the passenger side, your power receptacle on the PiP could potentially be useless. So, you can't say that putting the power port in the left rear or in front of the driver's door is any better or worse in case of an accident. It all depends on what part of the car is damaged.

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    gotta point there. i rather have my port in the front. if i am gonna ruin it, i want it to be my fault. in my lifetime, i have been rear ended 3 times. i have only rear ended some one once and that was done at less than 5mph...(very embarrassing story we will not get into!!)

10. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If the charger port is at driver's front, on the left side, it is least likely to be damaged in an accident. The rear, or Leaf's nose-mounted locations are more damage-prone.

11. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    While I agree that it would be more convenient for American drivers on the left side, it is on the driver's side for Japan which is both the Prius home country and where I believe more Prius Plug-Ins are expected to be purchased than the US.

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    They move the steering wheel, they can move an electric socket.

13. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Funny, I was going to discuss this in my last post. Of course it's possible, but think about it from how the Prius was designed.

From the beginning and out of necessity, the Prius was designed to have both left and right side drive models, so the engineers designed it so the steering column could be placed on either side. If they didn't, they couldn't sell it in the US and other left side drive countries.

The Prius Plug-In battery is an add-on to the existing Prius platform. The plug location wasn't even finalized until the production model (as the prototype had it by the left front door, which I would have preferred). Moving it to the right side accommodates the home market. Creating a left side plug would require a right side gas tank and probably other components. Plus it's not a necessity.

Would I like it on the left side? Sure. Is it possible to put it there? Sure. But the point is that the design of the Prius is not entirely centered around America and the desires of its drivers.

14. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Heard that.

The gas port which one will be accessing once in a blue moon (3 weeks, 2 months, who knows) is on driver's side.

The plug port which may be accessed every time one starts and ends a trip, is on the other side.

Maybe we'll need a poll - how many times skipped plugging in due to inconvenience / lack of time, etc, in confidence of course.

15. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    While its nice to have polls, and debate this issue, facts must be faced, Toyota has made their decision already, and they are not likely to change it until the next generation refresh. Just Sayin....

16. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Xebra was my daily car for 4 years. Plug behind the right rear door. Plugging and unplugging was absolutely no less convenient than it would have been on the driver's side because I had to carry the car end of the cord back and forth from the car to the wall socket, where the cord hung when not in use.

The down side was that it was not obvious from the driver's seat whether or not the car was plugged in, and the Xebra would drive when plugged in, not a good thing. Since the PiP will presumably not go while plugged in, that's not an issue.

I see no issue on right vs. left. I see issues on front vs. back if your cord won't reach, and I see issues on which part of the car is more likely to get hit. (Dave has a good point, that a front plug is more likely to be your own fault if damaged, though there are exceptions.)

17. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I can virtually guarantee you the PiP will not go if plugged in. Can't imagine they didn't design for that. The damage from driving off plugged in would be .... B.A.D.

18. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    People from Toyota read this thread and they pay attention to what customers think. Moving the plug from the front to the rear was a mistake. They had their reasons, but it was a mistake, and enough people here have given very practical explanations of why it's a mistake, and the motoring press will undoubtedly give them an earful as well.

You have to deal with that plug two to four times a day, every day. Walking around your car to the back every morning and evening is not a ritual I'm looking forward to.

19. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I'm sure they read it, and I'm also sure it's not going to change for the MY2012 PiP, as sure as I am the the sun will rise tommorow. They are planning on selling the majority of the PiPs in Japan, and THAT market is dictating their decisions for now. Perhaps in future model year PiPs, they'll relocate it for the North American market, provide multiple charging port locations, or have an option to choose 1 or 2 locations you can have your J-1772 port located. Don't count on any of that now, they are already about to start production on the PiP.

20. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I don't see it as big a deal as many but...

I'd like to see the plug on the left drivers side if it must be in the back and the gas filler port on the passenger side. Most times busy gas stations have a line waiting for fill ups if the door is on the drivers side but smaller or no waits of your filler door is on the passenger side. So note to Toyota; If on the Gen IV you still want it in the back for 'simplicity' reverse the sides they are found on the for the 2012 Prius.

1 person likes this.